Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 seat upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just want to know how many of you fellow owners are willing to pay for the new ventilated seats upgrade?? and how much?? the review of the new Model S Plaid seats was unanimous on how good they are !!! because of that I'm willing to pay $3,000.00 for them installed !!! just my though !!!

• Disagree
Reactions: Resist
Ventilated seats are the 1 feature I miss from my previous vehicle, and I didn't think I'd really miss them that much. But that being said, not worth $3k to me, but I'm someone who usually keeps cars 2-3 years, so large modifications aren't worth it to me as I wouldn't get most of that money back.

Reactions: Resist
Is there some new release that I missed out on?

I was actually scouring the web last night trying to see if there were any aftermarket installations for ventilated/cooled seats.

They're on the new Model S- nothing for the 3.

Personally I expected to deeply miss the vented seats from my Lexus.

But since I can precool the car with the app before I ever get in I didn't end up missing it AT ALL.

Now- if it had better side bolstering I'd pay something for THAT!

I had a Lexus with ventilated seats that I thought I'd miss as well, but the ability to pre-cool the car down does an even better job than the ventilated seats ever did with my Lexus! Of course, I had a model year that was known to have lousy ventilated seats, which didn't do a whole lot for me, but it was better than nothing!

That being said, when we were shopping, my wife asked our SA at the dealership if Tesla would ever get ventilated seats (this was June 5th), and the SA said that Tesla would never do ventilated seats because of the drain on the battery... 5 days later, the refreshed Model S was released, featuring... ventilated seats! 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I find the belief that precooling is an adequate substitute for ventilated seats to be interesting. I've never had "ventilated" seats that draw air away from the seat occupant, but I've had *cooled* seats that push cold air through the holes into the user's back and ass, and those are *great* and precooling is in no way a substitute for those on a hot day since they help actively maintain comfort, instead of just reducing stagnation.

Reactions: DurandalAI
I wish there was a easy retrofit for this. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if the price wasn't ridiculous.
I'm really surprised no one has made such a retrofit yet.
I'm working with a local automotive customizer to add this to my Model 3 front seats and it aint cheap.

That being said, when we were shopping, my wife asked our SA at the dealership if Tesla would ever get ventilated seats (this was June 5th), and the SA said that Tesla would never do ventilated seats because of the drain on the battery... 5 days later, the refreshed Model S was released, featuring... ventilated seats! 🤦‍♂️

These people can be so clueless. How could using a couple of small fans to cool one person take more energy than cooling the entire cabin more? Just like heated seats save on heating the entire cabin more. Geez.

These people can be so clueless. How could using a couple of small fans to cool one person take more energy than cooling the entire cabin more? Just like heated seats save on heating the entire cabin more. Geez.

I miss ventilated seats from my S6 and this was actually the main hesitation i had on the 3. I bet weight and cost were both factors. The pre-cooling helps a ton, i love that, but i travel over an hour for work and do miss the cooled seats.

I miss ventilated seats from my S6 and this was actually the main hesitation i had on the 3. I bet weight and cost were both factors. The pre-cooling helps a ton, i love that, but i travel over an hour for work and do miss the cooled seats.

Meh. If you ever taken apart a seat with ventilation, you would change your mind on added weight. Cost and other priorities were likely the reason.

Texas summers last forever, with temps regularly hitting 100°+ . I didn't want to keep up with cleaning white seats, so I naturally got the black. Even with pre-cooling, sometimes the seats retain a decent amount of heat. I would pay a lot of money if Tesla offered an upgrade to Cooled seats in the Model 3...

These pre-cooling statements are odd. People said the same thing for the heated steering wheel. Sold and re-bought a model3 and the heated wheel was definitely a consideration (crazy used prices was the main reason). I use it all the time. My daughters Kia has heated and cooled ventilated seats. Comparing the pre conditioning to actual cooled seats? Maybe these are the ex Prius drivers here who love to compare the two.

Pre-cooling is great and generally does the trick for short distance drives but vented seats would be super welcome for long hauls.

Turning on the rear vent and directing it up/forward can help a little since some will sort of hit the seat while the rest will help balance the cabin. The downside, besides extra energy expense, is that it has to be manually engaged each time and only works when HVAC is turned on.

Vented seats, on the other hand, would be targeted and, unless weirdly implemented, independent of the HVAC fans.

In answer to the original question, if made available as a 2018 retrofit, I would very likely consider upgrading at least the driver seat somewhere down the line. As long as the materials were at least as durable as the original seats, it would be an opportunity to both extend the life of that most used part and enhance comfort on long drives. Since I plan to keep this car as long as possible, I might pay $3k for both seats which is as much as I spent on the still mostly vaporware FSD upgrade (not quite fire sale cheap but way under $12k).