Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.9.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon tweeted at one time that this would be a good idea (request via app) but don't know if it's on his radar to actually do it.
The ability to request an update via the app has been around for several weeks (or months?). It's not a direct request to the servers...but if you use the app to Schedule Service, one of the options is Firmware Update. That request is then sent to Tesla Virtual Service and they can push the update.

The ability to request an update via the app has been around for several weeks (or months?). It's not a direct request to the servers...but if you use the app to Schedule Service, one of the options is Firmware Update. That request is then sent to Tesla Virtual Service and they can push the update.
Interesting , I did not see that there but I see it now. But from the data they are asking (date and time of mobile service availability), it looks like they will need to send a mobile dispatch to your house. If they can just push it I don't mind doing it but if they have to actually send a mobile unit to my house then I rather not put them out. Do you know what they will actually do if you just request that? Will they actually send a guy to the house?

I doubt that's what that's meant for. It's a category for the reason you need a service. Firmware Update could simply mean an update you just installed messed with your car and now needs servicing. I for one had this happen to me. The pointer wouldn't move with my car and after 2 months of troubleshooting they decided to replace my computer and it works as usual now. All happened after a firmware update.

Interesting , I did not see that there but I see it now. But from the data they are asking (date and time of mobile service availability), it looks like they will need to send a mobile dispatch to your house. If they can just push it I don't mind doing it but if they have to actually send a mobile unit to my house then I rather not put them out. Do you know what they will actually do if you just request that? Will they actually send a guy to the house?

I doubt that's what that's meant for. It's a category for the reason you need a service. Firmware Update could simply mean an update you just installed messed with your car and now needs servicing. I for one had this happen to me. The pointer wouldn't move with my car and after 2 months of troubleshooting they decided to replace my computer and it works as usual now. All happened after a firmware update.

We've used it to get an update on our Model 3 after experiencing an issue after a firmware update. After submitting the request, we were contacted by Tesla Virtual Service and they sent the update. Our problem was fixed.

Notice it was Tesla Virtual Service, not Tesla Mobile Service. Before sending anyone, they will check your car and see if the problem can be resolved via their Virtual Service team first.

We've used it to get an update on our Model 3 after experiencing an issue after a firmware update. After submitting the request, we were contacted by Tesla Virtual Service and they sent the update. Our problem was fixed.

Notice it was Tesla Virtual Service, not Tesla Mobile Service. Before sending anyone, they will check your car and see if the problem can be resolved via their Virtual Service team first.
Do you have to actually have a problem for them to push it or can you just say I want the latest because of this or that feature.

• Disagree
Reactions: YusufT

Okay so you just reiterated what I said. It should be used for people who need Service not abused be impatient people to get the latest update. Just wait for them to introduce the push button request update.

Okay so you just reiterated what I said. It should be used for people who need Service not abused be impatient people to get the latest update. Just wait for them to introduce the push button request update.
I said that's what we used it for. I didn't reiterate that it should only be used for that.

I know others who have submitted requests and gotten updates via the app. It's a lot less effort than asking the Service Center to do it. The Virtual Service Team can initiate an upgrade in a matter of seconds.

If Tesla doesn't want people using it to request upgrades, then they can change a flag in the database and instantly prevent the option from appearing in the app. If they get the wrong type of requests, they can just as easily rename it to "Request firmware update" or "Report problem cause by firmware update".

This could be the "push button" option Elon was referring to.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: YusufT and outdoors
Given what you just said, I'm not sure why you disagreed with my post from last week where I said that you should ask the service center to push you the latest update, instead of requesting a service appointment (in the hopes of getting the SC to push you the update, then cancelling if they do, all the while possibly tying up a slot in the queue). In my case i was not "impatient", merely trying to get the car updated so my newly purchased fob could work. I was stuck on 2018.28.1 for about 5 months. As it turned out I may have had an issue with the memory card which prevented me from updating. SC fixed the issue remotely.

Ref: 2018.28.1 to 2018.50.6; 5 months of software changes in 1 hour (long)

I said that's what we used it for. I didn't reiterate that it should only be used for that.

I know others who have submitted requests and gotten updates via the app. It's a lot less effort than asking the Service Center to do it. The Virtual Service Team can initiate an upgrade in a matter of seconds.

If Tesla doesn't want people using it to request upgrades, then they can change a flag in the database and instantly prevent the option from appearing in the app. If they get the wrong type of requests, they can just as easily rename it to "Request firmware update" or "Report problem cause by firmware update".

This could be the "push button" option Elon was referring to.
That’s not how code works you can’t change a menu option instantly without pushing an update for the app.

You’re right they do have to make it dummy proof so people don’t mistake it as something else. As long as Tesla isn’t being bothered by impatient people I’m good with it. But people making service appointments is on another level.

• Disagree
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Given what you just said, I'm not sure why you disagreed with my post from last week where I said that you should ask the service center to push you the latest update, instead of requesting a service appointment (in the hopes of getting the SC to push you the update, then cancelling if they do, all the while possibly tying up a slot in the queue). In my case i was not "impatient", merely trying to get the car updated so my newly purchased fob could work. I was stuck on 2018.28.1 for about 5 months. As it turned out I may have had an issue with the memory card which prevented me from updating. SC fixed the issue remotely.

Ref: 2018.28.1 to 2018.50.6; 5 months of software changes in 1 hour (long)
I’ve never seen that post you referenced before, but I’ll roll with it. If you’re stuck on an update by all means, in fact you’re supposed to contact them. I’m just against people requesting the newest update simply because they want it and going to extreme measures to do it. If Tesla just makes a button that pushes the update to your car automatically would be a god send.

That’s not how code works you can’t change a menu option instantly without pushing an update for the app.
Lol. You have no idea what you are talking about. They have added numerous options in the car (such as Supercharger status) and in the app (Supercharger status, Supercharger distance, Loot Box, Referrals, Referral prizes, Schedule Service options, etc.) that use APIs to connect to back-end services. No app update is necessary. It's all data-driven once the initial code to call the APIs had been deployed.

BTW, I've been a web developer over two decades. @HankLloydRight, can you chime in? Have I been doing the impossible since the 90s?!? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike and YusufT
Lol. You have no idea what you are talking about. They have added numerous options in the car (such as Supercharger status) and in the app (Supercharger status, Supercharger distance, Loot Box, Referrals, Referral prizes, Schedule Service options, etc.) that use APIs to connect to back-end services. No app update is necessary. It's all data-driven once the initial code to call the APIs had been deployed.

BTW, I've been a web developer over two decades.
That’s what I mean.. if they change it to “Request Firmware Update” it surely needs more logic to properly execute, even if most of the processing is done server side. You can’t just make something out of thin air, the logic has to be there to begin with. Unless they use the form response only.

You don’t have to plug in you’ve been a web developer lmao

That’s what I mean.. if they change it to “Request Firmware Update” it surely needs more logic to properly execute, even if most of the processing is done server side. You can’t just make something out of thin air, the logic has to be there to begin with. Unless they use the form response only.

You don’t have to plug in you’ve been a web developer lmao

Form options can easily be added and changed dynamically. Once data is in the database, it can easily be routed to appropriate queues to be worked. The app or car firmware don't need to be updated to handle that. It's not rocket science.

I mention being a web developer because I have expertise in this area. Obviously, you have no idea how properly written software works.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte and YusufT
If you are that desperate for an update, drive to the service center when it's closed and it will automatically connect to the WIFI network there. 90% of the time my car downloads the new software version in 15 mins if I sit there.
It was one year ago yesterday that a friend of mine and I took delivery of our Teslas, so for your Teslaversary we were thinking how great getting an update would be, so we tried to reproduce these steps. My friend went to Monterey SvC, they have SuC's there like you suggested, but he was unable to get his car to connect to their WiFi (and they have a TINY parking lot). He asked what was going on and a sales guy said he would push my friend an update. It showed up but after it finished installing it turned out to be the same OS he already had.

I noticed that a bunch of people were getting updated yesterday so I decided to follow in his footsteps and drove to Berkeley after they closed and parked in the driveway. The car connected to the service WiFi network and had good signal (12MB up and 90MB down). I waited specifically 25 minutes, just to be sure, didn't touch the car, just watched my iPhone. And Nada.

57526105139__A20F49CB-81F8-4820-AD3C-A605088EBD3C.JPG

Is the assumption that if the update your car would collect if pushed an update is the SAME as you already have than the car doesn't bother to light up and tell you about an update just because you connected to the Service Dept. WiFi?

-Randy

Last edited:
Form options can easily be added and changed dynamically. Once data is in the database, it can easily be routed to appropriate queues to be worked. The app or car firmware don't need to be updated to handle that. It's not rocket science.

I mention being a web developer because I have expertise in this area . Obviously, you have no idea how properly written software works.
I do know how software works. I guess I did a poor job explaining myself. I know it’s possible, I was just saying if the form wasn’t set up for dynamic alteration they probably need an update to change it. I just went in with the mindset that they probably didn’t set it up that way and you went in thinking I said it’s impossible.

You need to calm down there buddy.

• Disagree
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I do know how software works. I guess I did a poor job explaining myself. I know it’s possible, I was just saying if the form wasn’t set up for dynamic alteration they probably need an update to change it. I just went in with the mindset that they probably didn’t set it up that way and you went in thinking I said it’s impossible..

• Disagree
Reactions: YusufT
Try it and see. They might say you already have the latest version but they will probably just send the update again. It's just a few clicks.
Hey I just tried it. I got a service appointment confirmation in my email and that was it and it's been 20 minutes. Perhaps it's a US feature or I didn't follow the directions properly. So you just go into the app, schedule an appointment under Firmware and that's it right?