Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.20 Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Up until 2024.14.x or 20.1, my car would alter speed up and down while on AP (provided higher speed was set first).
Now it will only drop to a lower speed. That’s either a bug or a retrograde step.

Auto indicators. These have been messed about with too. The auto setting, when used on a roundabout, doesn’t like changing direction quickly. In that scenario it’s useless. It used to be OK, just. Now I’ll turn it off.

Installed 2024.20.1 last night. Did the usual 2 button reset this morning but during a drive on a dual carriageway this afternoon on AP (EAP) the car simply refused to attempt any automatic change of lanes when the indicator was initiated. No traffic approaching from behind and it didn't show the blue area to the right of the car either. It's almost as if it no longer recognised I'd got EAP.
Anyone else seen this?
I'll try again tomorrow and check if NOA works.
It was working for me today …without hesitation!

Reactions: JM_M3
It was working for me today …without hesitation!
I’m new to EAP as have 3 month trial on my new car. Most of the time it changes lane OK but sometimes starts, gets about half way and then swerves back into the original lane. Read from some of you about this, is there a way to understand when it might do this so I avoid the lane change before hand? Or something I need to do to avoid it?

Both our Model 3’s got offered this at the same time a couple of days ago. Feels weird to get an update on .1, normally it’s out and some of you have it a full month before it comes to our car.

Bit weird as now up to date and nothing on a newer minor version in testing.

Would love for them to bring Autopark to UK while I have my 3 month EAP trial to give that a whirl.

Installed 2024.20.1 last night. Did the usual 2 button reset this morning but during a drive on a dual carriageway this afternoon on AP (EAP) the car simply refused to attempt any automatic change of lanes when the indicator was initiated. No traffic approaching from behind and it didn't show the blue area to the right of the car either. It's almost as if it no longer recognised I'd got EAP.
Anyone else seen this?
I'll try again tomorrow and check if NOA works.
I only had a few miles on the A90 today and my first drive on 20.1, I had exactly the same on the 3or 4 times I tried it.

I’m new to EAP as have 3 month trial on my new car. Most of the time it changes lane OK but sometimes starts, gets about half way and then swerves back into the original lane. Read from some of you about this, is there a way to understand when it might do this so I avoid the lane change before hand? Or something I need to do to avoid it?
I’ve had refusals too. No real way to avoid it that I know of. Just choose your moments carefully.

Tricky to explain concisely in words, but think of it in stages

1 - indicate
2 - wait required clicks before attempting to nudge wheel
3 - nudge wheel just right amount to start lane change, but not cancel EAP

If you leave #2 too long or take too long getting #3 right then that’s when I’ve found risk of the car aborting, because it has to complete the change within a certain duration.

Having typed all that.. there’s a condition for 1 as well, right?

1 - indicate after car says it wants to change lane

In other words, if the car was happy where it was and you’re initiating the change, then I don’t think those timeouts apply.

I’m doubting myself now.. it’s one of the traits you get to know and can sense when it might happen!

So I’ve got 2024.20.1 and this British summer has meant I’ve been forced to test wipers. In all seriousness I’m sure they have been better. Not saying it’s the software for sure, as it might just be “the right sort of rain”, but they have been working automatically as I’d like… probably jinxed that now huh?

So I’ve got 2024.20.1 and this British summer has meant I’ve been forced to test wipers. In all seriousness I’m sure they have been better. Not saying it’s the software for sure, as it might just be “the right sort of rain”, but they have been working automatically as I’d like… probably jinxed that now huh?

I wish they'd say in the release notes if wiper logic changes had been made

I’ll join your jinxing. Drove 25 miles with light on/off drizzle where wipers normally struggle.
It was a situation where recent experiences would guarantee a requirement to compensate for inadequate wiping by pressing the button from time to time. I was passing through areas that were completely open and other areas with overhanging trees, so lighting changes as well as rain drops variations. I would expect the occasional requirement for some override in any car in that mix of conditions. To my surprise I completed the drive without a single intervention! Goodness knows why it could manage this when on other occasions it wouldn’t.
I’ve very very rarely experienced the dry wiping side of things (thankfully) and in the past I’ve even gone through phases where even the auto wipers have been 90% accurate but not for a while.
I’ve generally doubted that software updates make much, if any, difference to wiper performance… but I would love to be proved wrong.
I fully expect that on the next rainy drive it will be a different story!

I had my first wiper dry wipe for months yesterday. It was while I was watching an OAP attempt to park their Model S.

It was rather like watching a narrowboat being sailed by a tourist.

I’m now wondering whether the dry wipes are actually a form of semaphore, or that the auto wipers only work if there’s another Tesla in view of the car’s cameras…

• Funny
Reactions: andyorkney

1 - indicate

If you leave #2 too long or take too long getting #3 right then that’s when I’ve found risk of the car aborting, because it has to complete the change within a certain duration.

In other words, if the car was happy where it was and you’re initiating the change, then I don’t think those timeouts apply.

I’m doubting myself now.. it’s one of the traits you get to know and can sense when it might happen!
It took me a while to work out as well. If you keep a pressure on the wheel all the time (as I tend to do) then if the car requests the lane change all you have to do is touch the indicator in the appropriate direction and the car will change lane. If you initiate it just move the indicator passed its indent and the car will move. If you try and start a move and there is a car in the way you run the risk of timing out and the aborted lane change.

By keeping pressure on the wheel lane changes are just one action from me and work almost 100% of the time without issue.

1 - indicate

So it definitely seems to timeout also when I’m the one initiating the lane change. This is on roads where Navigate on Autopilot isn’t active and I think even if I set a destination it doesn’t enable even though it’s dual carriageway.

I’m aware of the timeout, sure sometimes I’m pretty quick with it all but still seems to abort. You’d think a timeout though shouldn’t start counting until it starts actually lane changing rather than just the indicating part.

Anyone else seen this?

Yes. It’s occasionally done it to me pretty since we have had the car ~5 years. Not a common occurrence, but occasionally it would just gave up part way through the drive. These were on roads that definitely offered auto lane change (and NoA thin blue line), not all parts of dual carriageways do and no obvious indication that I have noticed that that auto lane change is available- not the same as NoA availability.

I use to joke that it would allow you to do so many lane changes during the course of a drive. Would always reset itself with no intervention- probably after next stop/auto hold.

Last edited:

It’s kind of user error, caused by Tesla poor implementation.

Once you start indicating, the clock starts, so if it can’t get one set of wheels over the white line within a set timeframe the car will abort, often violently.

There may be some real reasons for this, such as a car behind moving out behind you into the same lane as you were about to move into - it may come from several cars back.

But the common one/user error/poor implementation is not being in a position that the car detects you holding the wheel early enough into sequence that the car has time to get a set of wheels over the line. Sometimes it’s obvious that car hasn’t detected you so you have time to ‘let the car know you have applied pressure’ (often described as wiggling the wheel) but there is a window where you do apply turning force, car starts manoeuvring (in other words it hasn’t timed out before starting the manoeuvre) but does not get a set of wheels over the line in time so aborts mid manoeuvre. The car really should be in a position to know whether it can or cannot get a set of wheels over the line but for some reason thinks it can, start’s manoeuvre, then doesn’t make it in time so aborts. It’s easily reproducible once you realise the scenario and hence easy to avoid.

Aborting mid manoeuvre can be potentially be very dangerous not with standing the comfort factor, as on more than one occasion I have the car following me start to accelerate into the space I had partially vacated. So soon learned not to use auto lane change if someone too close behind/motorway too busy which really restricts it’s usefulness.

Yes. It’s occasionally done it to me pretty since we have had the car ~5 years. Not a common occurrence, but occasionally it would just gave up part way through the drive. These were on roads that definitely offered auto lane change (and NoA thin blue line), not all parts of dual carriageways do and no obvious indication that I have noticed that that auto lane change is available- not the same as NoA availability.

I use to joke that it would allow you to do so many lane changes during the course of a drive. Would always reset itself with no intervention- probably after next stop/auto hold.
Yes it's strange, I think the A1(M) nearer to Stevenage and beyond towards London seem to support NoA but go past there more north and it'll just switch off and back to normal Autopilot while you are still on that same road.

Aborting mid manoeuvre can be potentially be very dangerous not with standing the comfort factor, as on more than one occasion I have the car following me start to accelerate into the space I had partially vacated. So soon learned not to use auto lane change if someone too close behind/motorway too busy which really restricts it’s usefulness.
That is exactly my worry on this as well, no one is going to expect you to abort a lane change into an empty spot and as you say many do already start to accelerate that if you don't keep moving over at the speed you were, they'll hit you. Bad driving of course but also pretty common. It doesn't follow the manoeuvre when clear to do so, more a manoeuvre and hope the space you are rapidly heading towards is actually going to be clear before you get there.

Is that not because there is a roundabout a bit further up the road?

I think with dual carriageways it’s more that there is uncontrolled access to that section of road, which would include your roundabout.

One example, which is a bit of an outlier in its own right as it allows NoA on dual carriageways and not just auto lane change, is A31 Hoggs Back heading west.

Auto lane change (and towards the end of that section, NoA functionality) is available all the while there is no way to access the road. The moment you get centre breaks, track access, farm gates, property access or lay-bys etc, auto lane chance ceases to be available. Sometimes it’s only for a short distance, 00 yards or so, and you might not know when/if it’s active - that said it’s very noticeable when NoA additionally becomes available when the double/single blue does a bit of a dance as it becomes active or not due to property access or centre divider gap. But NoA availability on uncontrolled roads is quite unusual.

Once you start spotting these uncontrolled access points, behaviour becomes quite predictable.

Last edited:
Reactions: FastLaneJB