Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 sold me on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After digesting all the videos and stats about the Model 3 I am more convinced that I will be in the market for a Model S to replace my current vehicle. Here are some reasons.

Exterior: While I know it is an Alpha build and things can and will change the proportions just feel out of place for me. I like the sleeker, longer style of the S. The full hatch compared to the 3 trunk makes me think I can benefit more from the entry size and cargo carrying capability.

Interior: Wouldn't it be cool if the 15" monitor could rotate from landscape to portrait when the driver wanted for any UI benefit? That would be awesome if it could swivel. But the center console is just not something I'm ready to move to when driving. I drive about 15-18K miles a year. I enjoy driving. I enjoy the idea of all the tech in the car but that visual display just behind the wheel is still something I want going forward. Maybe in the next car after the S I will be more comfortable. But for now, the transition is not something I want. Although that all glass roof looks pretty sweet, I prefer a solid roof. I want this vehicle to be very long term and any way I can reduce potential repairs past warranty the better.

Longevity: I believe the Model 3 will actually benefit the S when it comes to future repairability when it comes to replacement parts and service done. The 3 will require a larger consumer market where owners will want service done quickly and in more places. I see indy shops taking a keen eye of investment on repairing and will be adjusting their abilities which will help increase repair speed on S's. So for me a body color roof and no SAS are things I'll be shopping for. And I'm sure I'm in the minority, but even after trying autopilot I'd rather not have it. I enjoy driving.

Battery: Again for me, distance is important. The estimated range on the 3 is just a hair lower than what I'd be comfortable with when I really need those long drive days. And with the news of more superchargers coming, if (when) the 85kw or 90kw (or even the 100) battery life degrades there will be more opportunities to charge in more places. But until then the range of the 85 will give me the confidence of doing what and where I need to go.

Depreciation: I think I saw there are up to 200k deposits on the 3 as I am writing this so if I signed up now and given the track history of schedule I sincerely doubt I would be in the 2017 (really 2018) delivery date. So even then I'd be two years out. I really really wish those CPO cars made it back down into the 50s or even 40s again. I hope they do, but if not I'm considering a private sale route. The Model S would be affordable and drivable before I could get a 3.

To me, EV incentives are not a sale factor. I enjoy smart technology and good design, not a tax deduction. I hope and think Tesla will advance more as a company well on after any tax incentives are eliminated.

Anyway, thought I'd just share my musings to share. Or if anyone has any contributions I'd love to hear them.

Cheers to an innovative, exciting company to watch.

I have an RN on a Model III; however, I'm a bit torn now as far as changing to a M3 in the future over our current Model S. It seems a bit small and the deal breaker seems to be the more traditional trunk - never again did I want t car that wasn't a lift back like the Model S. The single screen concept is interesting but in cars where I've driven and had to look down/right it is an annoyance - Autopilot won't be that great in a couple years still other than for trips.

I'll give it a while but will likely cancel the Model III RN, at most plan for another/additional Model S or X in a couple years.

I have a reservation in for a model III, as our third car for the kids. I think it is brilliant for $35-40K.

At the same time, after the reveal, I am also convinced that the Model S continues to be one of the best designed sedans -- ever. The look is unique and classic, and the Model III (however cool, sporty, futuristic it is), does not compare to the dimensions and balance that was nailed in the original S design. IMHO, I just do not see these cars competing with each other, any more than an S class Mercedes competes with a C class or CLS -- or the Audi A4/5 competing with the A8. At the same time there are many people who would rather have the sportier CLS/A4/3-series and not a 7-series/S-class/A8 -- I get that.

Here is a picture of our MS P85D taken earlier this week, with just the right light. ;-)

My wife and I were waiting for the Model 3, as we didn't ever consider being able to afford a Model S. Then Tesla opened the CPO program. We found several cars that were much less than what we expected.

Our primary car was a 2011 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI. I found out that the Model S has just 3 cubic feet less interior cargo volume than the Jetta Sportwagen, plus it had the frunk as well! Knowing the initial Model 3 would be a sedan, and probably a bit smaller than the Jetta, we decided to reach for the Model S, and in June of last year, we got a loaded 2013 P85. We've been thrilled with it.

After seeing the reveal, we're both very happy with our decision. As a Tesla shareholder, I'm thrilled with the Model 3, and as an auto enthusiast, I can't wait to take one for a test drive. The Model 3 is a great looking car, and I think it will be fantastic, but we both like the Model S better, and with the liftback hatch and the fold down seats, the Model S just fits our needs better.

Reactions: kwjayhawk
I so agree. It was fun obtaining an early reservation and expect the M Ξ will be a huge success and benefit everyone -- especially existing Tesla owners.

At some point, I'll likely cancel also. I love love love Silvia -- her range, her liftgate, aluminum body, and her comfort on long drives. IMO, it is worth the additional cost and I have it right now.

I'll let Tesla hang on to my $1K for a while so they can keep building the infrastructure but I may transfer it over to whatever they announce next.

Reactions: kwjayhawk
While some of the m3 reservations may bail and not buy a Tesla, I'll bet a good number of them will convert to s or x sales after the reservation holders pay more attention to Tesla and don't want to wait any more.