Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, just hoping it at least levels out somewhat soon. I just don't want it to keep going down every time I charge the car. The crazy thing is that my son took the car on a pretty long round trip today and it's currently at 44% and projects to show another sizable drop in range from just one day. We'll see what happens as 44% isn't super precise without more decimal places but it's not a good sign.

Just FYI, you can see more precise battery level in the service menu. Go into the software submenu in the settings, press and hold the "Model 3" branding, and enter "SERVICE" when the dialog box pops up, then go to the battery section I think.

Does this graph imply that if we store our car at 0%, the calendar degradation will disappear?

If this is the case, why does every manufacturer recommends to quickly charge when you get to low percentages because the battery could be damaged? Are they lying?

One reason is that below 20%, the car stops charging the low voltage battery from the high voltage battery, and once the in car computers use up all of the low voltage battery, your car won’t start. And in most EVs and Teslas older than the past couple years, the low voltage battery is a different type of battery that doesn’t like to be drained all the way, and doing so usually kills it and requires replacement.

Another reason is that the car likes to do certain things to maintain battery health and to keep the battery ready for use. For example, in extreme cold, the car may use some battery to warm the battery and keep it from getting too cold to be used.

There are probably other reasons, but I think most of it boils down to the fact that we aren’t truly storing our batteries. The batteries are still connected to the car and expected to do things occasionally, whereas in lab tests they can completely disconnect the batteries.

Last edited:
One reason is that below 20%, the car stops charging the low voltage battery from the high voltage battery,
Not correct! This would be really bad!

For example, in extreme cold, the car may use some battery to warm the battery and keep it from getting too cold to be used.
Not sure that there is any evidence of this. Battery can be discharged in BBC extreme cold. Cannot be charged even when just modestly cold.

Reactions: AAKEE
Mostly I'm charging between zones 3 and 4, or between 4 and 5 on that chart.
1681570251924.png
Hmm.. OK, so on the chart I’m seeing a couple of arrows extending from the beginning of zone 3 to the end of zone 4, and that corresponds to 4.8% expected degradation. I’m not seeing any arrows from the beginning of zone 4 to the end of zone 5. (To me this chart is a bit like trying to pick up a dime while wearing a heavy pair of gloves).

But off the top of my head, if your expected degradation was about 5%, while mine was closer to 7 percent, then it seems possible that our capacity loss could be equivalent because your high mileage is kind of balanced out by my 35%-55% charging style. As opposed to calendar loss simply being such an overriding factor in degradation that it completely dwarfs other factors…

Exactly!

My 12V battery has had supply all the time, even down to -2% SOC.

I’d say the LV batt is charged until the HV batt shuts down to protect itself.

I have seen a lot of rumors about this, 6% and 20% etc.
The LV bat is 45Ah? 12x 45 = 0.5kWh, and as a lead acid battery get damaged from low SOC it would get empty damaged quite fast as the car use ~200W when not sleeping. A couple of hours below that level would be enough to empty the car, driving or parked.
I have had my car sleeping below 5-10% many nights and down do 0% a few.
The manual also states that the LV batt stops being charged when the SOC is below 0% / too low.
7D6B7EEA-5FF4-4DD2-A289-30A697E62ACF.jpeg

Not sure that there is any evidence of this. Battery can be discharged in BBC extreme cold. Cannot be charged even when just modestly cold.
The car does not actively heat the battery when the car is parked/not in use and/or not preconditioning.

I have checked this numerous times at work where I have my car parked up to one week at the time, and in cold Wx the battery eventually reach the same tempersture as the ambient.
In my case its not uncommon to se the battery being colder than the ambient as the ambient temp varies and can go up but the battery temp will climb slowly.

The car shows a lower SOC number when the battery is cold, to show a compensation for the energy needed to heat the battery etc.
We can always drive even if the car has been cold soaked to really low temps, the battery starts heating when we start to drive at the latest. (Preconditioning will heat the battery if it is cold so thats a good Practice as cold cycles causes more wear.

Hmm.. OK, so on the chart I’m seeing a couple of arrows extending from the beginning of zone 3 to the end of zone 4, and that corresponds to 4.8% expected degradation.
Just a reminder that the "degradation" from charging in a narrow voltage band as shown in the chart is not real degradation. It recovers when you start charging a wider range of levels. Of course, cumulative charging cycles and a high resting/average SOC will still cause real degradation.

My brand new LFP car, parked with sentry mode turned off. The car loses 7-8% per day. I don’t even open the app to wake the car up. Anyone know what the problem might be?
Check the energy screen's Park tab (shown in this video starting at 2:37) to see if it highlights any particularly large source of drain while parked:

Check the energy app pages first.

Also take some pictures.
Check the energy screen's Park tab (shown in this video starting at 2:37) to see if it highlights any particularly large source of drain while parked:
Thank you both for the tip. I didn’t specify earlier, but when I said sentry mode was off, I meant excluding home was active. And apparently it wasn’t working properly, because it looks like sentry mode was the culprit. 81 miles in 10 days.

Does this graph imply that if we store our car at 0%, the calendar degradation will disappear?

If this is the case, why does every manufacturer recommends to quickly charge when you get to low percentages because the battery could be damaged? Are they lying?

the manufacturers do recommend that. With the exception of I think Panasonic (which recommends storage at 30-50% at 15C) most manufacturers recommend discharging the battery to 0% and then freezing them. Possible that panasonic is more consumer oriented.

there was a crib sheet available here before of like 10 manufacturers and what their advice for storage is.

the manufacturers do recommend that. With the exception of I think Panasonic (which recommends storage at 30-50% at 15C) most manufacturers recommend discharging the battery to 0% and then freezing them. Possible that panasonic is more consumer oriented.

there was a crib sheet available here before of like 10 manufacturers and what their advice for storage is.
Thanks! I was referring to car manufacturers

I'm not terribly worried but I've noticed a fairly sharp linear progression in EPA range on my new Model 3 RWD since I started using TeslaFi. I took delivery on 2/27 this year and through one month (on 3/26) I still had the full EPA range on a full charge of 272.47 per TeslaFi as well as my memory. That was the first charge I did when I started using TeslaFi. Over the last 2.5 weeks my EPA range is now down to 268.5 which seems like a steep drop for such a short period of time. Also, the change has been fairly linear and consistent.
View attachment 928341

This includes 6 charges to 100% starting on 3/26 through my last charge that ended this morning on 4/14. This has all been at level 1 and 2 charging as I haven't yet done any supercharging yet. I charged at Level 1 the first two weeks I had the car as my Level 2 wasn't installed yet. With that said, our driving has been very efficient of late and though our rated range is 268.5, our estimated range is actually at 293.78. That's per TeslaFi which I believe just comes right off of the Energy app on the car. We frequently get drives of around 200-210 Wh/mile even on drives that include a decent amount of highway driving.

Looking at another app, Recurrent Auto is giving me a range score of 102 so maybe my range isn't degrading. I guess I'm just not sure what I should be looking at to determine real battery degradation vs. efficient driving habits. Obviously, 1.5% battery degradation (assuming it's legit) doesn't worry me. But the quick rate (occuring in less than 3 weeks and over less than 45 days of total car ownership) and the linear looking line does worry me a little bit. Do I have anything to worry about based on these stats?
I’m exactly like yours, I’m using Tessie on my ‘23 RWD that I picked up in February. Very sharp linear line, only 1,500 miles so far. I’ve supercharged twice, mainly L1 until I got my L2 2 weeks ago. Only 8.5 cycles. Pretty much just charge to 100% once a week now. Now at 268.5 miles. This is a lease so I might just keep charging to 100%, for science.
IMG_4546.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC

Thanks for the correction. Guess I misremembered and was thinking about the percent when Sentry mode stops working. Sentry mode stops working at 20%, low voltage battery charging stops at 0%. But even though I got the percentage wrong, the reasoning stands, because the comment I responded to was asking why they shouldn’t leave the car at 0%.

Last edited:
The car does not actively heat the battery when the car is parked/not in use and/or not preconditioning.

I have checked this numerous times at work where I have my car parked up to one week at the time, and in cold Wx the battery eventually reach the same tempersture as the ambient.
In my case its not uncommon to se the battery being colder than the ambient as the ambient temp varies and can go up but the battery temp will climb slowly.

Are you sure about that? There could be some logic where the BMS only actively heats the battery for 24 hours or something before giving up and conserving energy, which could explain why you see temps reach ambient eventually when you leave it for a week.

I think this section of the manual is what led me to believe the car may use battery to keep the battery warm while parked. The way it says “to keep the battery warm” made me think this is not talking about preconditioning.
377ADFF7-CC21-485D-A939-30BEB24D0A20.jpeg

Last edited: