Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has almost 30,000 miles after about 23 months.
  • 100% charging shows 259 rated miles (259.5 on the Energy Drive screen), down from the initial 272 miles. I.e. about 4.6-4.8% loss by this measure.
  • Scan My Tesla shows a capacity estimate of 57.5 kWh, down from the 60.5 kWh full pack when new. I.e. about 5.0% loss by this measure.
  • Most charging is at home to 65-70%, but 100% approximately once per week. Most charging is departure charging to finish within an hour or few before driving.
  • Did one 1,500 mile or so road trip using Supercharging after the initial 100% charge before leaving. Mostly Supercharged ~10-15% to ~50-60% on the road, except for once when ~80% was needed to reach the next Supercharger, since that charging method (as recommended by ABRP) gave the fastest trip. Other than this road trip, I used Supercharging only a few times.

Last edited:
My car has almost 30,000 miles after about 23 months.
  • 100% charging shows 259 rated miles (259.5 on the Energy Drive screen), down from the initial 272 miles. I.e. about 4.6-4.8% loss by this measure.
  • Scan My Tesla shows a capacity estimate of 57.5 kWh, down from the 60.5 kWh full pack when new. I.e. about 5.0% loss by this measure.
  • Most charging is at home to 65-70%, but 100% approximately once per week. Most charging is departure charging to finish within an hour or few before driving.
  • Did one 1,500 mile or so road trip using Supercharging after the initial 100% charge before leaving. Mostly Supercharged ~10-15% to ~50-60% on the road, except for once when ~80% was needed to reach the next Supercharger, since that charging method (as recommended by ABRP) gave the fastest trip.
I'm at ~34500 miles and the car is 21 months old. Displayed range is 260 miles (18in aerowheels). down from 272m/438km. I've put ~12K miles of long range driving on the car where I used SC/DCFCs along with some hotel destination chargers and I've often charged to 90%+ at SC/DCFCs , especially when having a meal. I charge to 100% via L1/L2 charging at least once a week.

Reactions: Baluchi
Just charge and wait until it is fully charged. If not already well calibrated, it will automatically go into calibration mode and show it on the display. Calibration can take up to 20 minutes.

During calibration the displayed mileage rises. I have also seen the mileage rise further shortly after calibration while I drove off the charger.
Hi.
My M3 LFP hasn’t calibrated in a while. I charge it to 100% 1x/week. Each time it just gets to 100% n just stops without any calibration. I should mention that the battery has calibrated in the past but hasn’t happened in the past few months.
Any idea why, except that the battery is calibrated at all times (which in itself shouldn’t be normal?) ?
Thanks !

Hi.
My M3 LFP hasn’t calibrated in a while. I charge it to 100% 1x/week. Each time it just gets to 100% n just stops without any calibration. I should mention that the battery has calibrated in the past but hasn’t happened in the past few months.
Any idea why, except that the battery is calibrated at all times (which in itself shouldn’t be normal?) ?
Thanks !

if you do deep(er) discharges routinely it may not calibrate. if you charge to 100% and the car checks the pack voltage and its equivalent to 4.2V then no calibration is needed.

I've had my Model 3 with LFP for 15 months. Closing in on 30000 miles. My full charge gives me numbers from 252-262 miles. I'm guessing that's ok but I still have worries since I don't have at home charging, I've done everything on supercharging.

I've heard stories about excessive supercharging killing batteries. I understand that excessive supercharging my harm older batteries but I've yet to hear anything specifically regarding LFP and 100% supercharging for extremely high milage.

I've had my Model 3 with LFP for 15 months. Closing in on 30000 miles. My full charge gives me numbers from 252-262 miles. I'm guessing that's ok but I still have worries since I don't have at home charging, I've done everything on supercharging.

I've heard stories about excessive supercharging killing batteries. I understand that excessive supercharging my harm older batteries but I've yet to hear anything specifically regarding LFP and 100% supercharging for extremely high milage.

IMHO, LFP by default has 5-10x cycle life of NMC, so when you hear of battery problems with NMC Model 3's that are at 100K miles, expect problem with LFP Model 3's having to worry about that at 500k-1M miles. ;)

I have 14k miles, full charge at 263 EPA miles..

I'll repost this here. It's an Australian report on real world battery pack (multiple chemistries and vendors) observed degradation over hundred to thousands of charge cycles:

Lithium Ion Battery Testing Report – 12​

Supported by a $1.29m grant from the Australian Renewable Energy Agency under its Advancing Renewables Program, the Lithium Ion Battery Trial involved performance testing of conventional and emerging battery technologies. The aim of the testing is to independently verify battery performance (capacity fade and roundtrip efficiency) against manufacturers’ claims. This is the 12th and final public report for this project under ARENA and describes testing results, general observations or issues encountered and the key lessons learnt with the Phase 1, Phase 2, and Phase 3 batteries.
Report:
https://storage.googleapis.com/itp-renewables-website/documents/Battlab_Report_12_Final.pdf

Some of the observed results are extremely interesting, especially the potential life of LFP batteries.

Can someone with more knowledge than me please chime in. I think I know the model 3 LR uses a NCMA battery made by LG in Korea. The performance uses a NCA made by Panasonic and the RWD uses a LFP by CATL.

Does this Australian study have any bearing on the batteries used by Tesla in their model 3’s. Thanks

Can someone with more knowledge than me please chime in. I think I know the model 3 LR uses a NCMA battery made by LG in Korea. The performance uses a NCA made by Panasonic and the RWD uses a LFP by CATL.

Does this Australian study have any bearing on the batteries used by Tesla in their model 3’s. Thanks
This a summary of battery chemistries tested:

Product / Type / Nameplate / Capacity (kWh nominal) / Phase / Status

CALB CA100 Lithium Iron
Phosphate 10.24 1 Testing Previously
Concluded

Ecoult UltraFlex Lead Carbon 14.8 1 Testing Previously
Concluded

GNB Sonnenschein Lead Acid 14.4 1 Testing Previously
Concluded

Kokam + ADS-TEC Lithium Nickel
Manganese Cobalt 8.3 1 Testing Previously
Concluded

LG Chem RESU 1 Lithium Nickel
Manganese Cobalt 9.6 1 Testing Previously
Concluded

Samsung AIO Lithium Nickel
Manganese Cobalt 10.8 1 Testing Previously
Concluded

Sony Fortelion Lithium Iron
Phosphate 9.6 1 Testing Concluded
in March 2022

Tesla Powerwall 1 Lithium Nickel
Manganese Cobalt 6.4 1 Testing Previously
Concluded

Alpha ESS M48100 Lithium Iron
Phosphate 9.6 2 Testing Previously
Concluded

Ampetus Super
Lithium
Lithium Iron
Phosphate 9.0 2 Testing Previously
Concluded

Aquion Aspen Aqueous Hybrid
Ion 17.6 2 Testing Previously
Concluded

SimpliPhi PHI 3.4 Lithium Iron
Phosphate 10.2 2 Testing Previously
Concluded

Lithium-ion Battery Testing — Public Report 12 3
Product / Type / Nameplate / Capacity / (kWh nominal) / Phase / Status

BYD B-Box Lithium Iron
Phosphate 10.24 2
October 2020 –
Replaced by BYD
B-Box LVS (8 kWh)
Testing Concluded in
March 2022

GNB Lithium Lithium Nickel
Manganese Cobalt 12.7 2 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

LG Chem RESU HV Lithium Nickel
Manganese Cobalt 9.8 2 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

Pylontech US2000B Lithium Iron
Phosphate 9.6 2 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

Redflow ZCell Zinc-Bromide Flow 10.0 2 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

Telsa Powerwall 2 Lithium Nickel
Manganese Cobalt 13.5 2 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

BYD B-Box HV Lithium Iron
Phosphate 10.2 3
June 2020 – Replaced
by BYD B-Box HVM
(11.04 kWh)
Testing Concluded in
March 2022

DCS PV 10.0 Lithium Iron
Phosphate 10.0 3 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

FIMER REACT 2 Lithium Nickel
Manganese Cobalt 8.0 3 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

FZSoNick Sodium Nickel
Chloride 9.6 3 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

PowerPlus Energy LiFe
Premium
Lithium Iron
Phosphate 9.9 3 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

SolaX Triple Power Lithium Nickel
Manganese Cobalt 12.6 3 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

sonnenBatterie Lithium Iron
March 2022

Zenaji Aeon Lithium Titanate 9.6 3 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

This a summary of battery chemistries tested:

Product / Type / Nameplate / Capacity (kWh nominal) / Phase / Status

CALB CA100 Lithium Iron
Phosphate 10.24 1 Testing Previously
Concluded

Ecoult UltraFlex Lead Carbon 14.8 1 Testing Previously
Concluded

GNB Sonnenschein Lead Acid 14.4 1 Testing Previously
Concluded

Kokam + ADS-TEC Lithium Nickel
Manganese Cobalt 8.3 1 Testing Previously
Concluded

LG Chem RESU 1 Lithium Nickel
Manganese Cobalt 9.6 1 Testing Previously
Concluded

Samsung AIO Lithium Nickel
Manganese Cobalt 10.8 1 Testing Previously
Concluded

Sony Fortelion Lithium Iron
Phosphate 9.6 1 Testing Concluded
in March 2022

Tesla Powerwall 1 Lithium Nickel
Manganese Cobalt 6.4 1 Testing Previously
Concluded

Alpha ESS M48100 Lithium Iron
Phosphate 9.6 2 Testing Previously
Concluded

Ampetus Super
Lithium
Lithium Iron
Phosphate 9.0 2 Testing Previously
Concluded

Aquion Aspen Aqueous Hybrid
Ion 17.6 2 Testing Previously
Concluded

SimpliPhi PHI 3.4 Lithium Iron
Phosphate 10.2 2 Testing Previously
Concluded

Lithium-ion Battery Testing — Public Report 12 3
Product / Type / Nameplate / Capacity / (kWh nominal) / Phase / Status

BYD B-Box Lithium Iron
Phosphate 10.24 2
October 2020 –
Replaced by BYD
B-Box LVS (8 kWh)
Testing Concluded in
March 2022

GNB Lithium Lithium Nickel
Manganese Cobalt 12.7 2 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

LG Chem RESU HV Lithium Nickel
Manganese Cobalt 9.8 2 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

Pylontech US2000B Lithium Iron
Phosphate 9.6 2 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

Redflow ZCell Zinc-Bromide Flow 10.0 2 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

Telsa Powerwall 2 Lithium Nickel
Manganese Cobalt 13.5 2 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

BYD B-Box HV Lithium Iron
Phosphate 10.2 3
June 2020 – Replaced
by BYD B-Box HVM
(11.04 kWh)
Testing Concluded in
March 2022

DCS PV 10.0 Lithium Iron
March 2022

FIMER REACT 2 Lithium Nickel
Manganese Cobalt 8.0 3 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

FZSoNick Sodium Nickel
Chloride 9.6 3 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

PowerPlus Energy LiFe
Premium
Lithium Iron
Phosphate 9.9 3 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

SolaX Triple Power Lithium Nickel
Manganese Cobalt 12.6 3 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

sonnenBatterie Lithium Iron
March 2022

Zenaji Aeon Lithium Titanate 9.6 3 Testing Concluded in
March 2022

Battery test centre:

Battery test procedure:
Testing ProcedureThe key objective of the testing is to measure the batteries’ decrease in storage capacity overtime and with energy throughput. As the batteries are cycled they lose the ability to store as muchenergy as when they are new.To investigate this capacity fade, the lithium-ion batteries are being discharged to a state ofcharge (SOC) between 5% and 10% (depending on the allowable limits of the BMS), while thelead-acid batteries are being discharged to a 50% SOC (i.e. 50% of the rated capacity used). Theadvanced lead battery is being be cycled between 30% and 80% SOC. These operating rangesare in line with manufacturers’ recommendations for each technology.Each battery pack is charged over several hours (mimicking daytime charging from the PV),followed by a short rest period, then discharged over a few hours (mimicking the late afternoon,early evening period) followed by another short rest period. In total, there are threecharge/discharge cycles per day. (source below)

Last edited:
T
Thank you Duncan. When I read the study I didn’t see the Panasonic NCA or the LG NCMA or the CATL LFP batteries tested. Sorry for the confusing question. I was trying to ask whether or not any of the batteries tested were close enough in composition that parallels could be drawn to the batteries used by Tesla but apparently not tested. It seems to me that the Tesla batteries have held up better than the batteries tested in Australia. I’m wondering if that is a solid interpretation. Thanks

252-262 miles displayed with 100% SOC or is that the actual range that you get? Cause the displayed range isn’t what you end up getting. Can be more or less.
Same question for you @eevee-fan.
Thanks !

252-262 miles displayed with 100% SOC or is that the actual range that you get? Cause the displayed range isn’t what you end up getting. Can be more or less.
Same question for you @eevee-fan.
Thanks !

263 is Tesla's "EPA range", not real world range. I would GUESS the real range at highway speed is 200-225 miles (to low, not empty). The good thing with Tesla is that there's usually a SuC within 2 hours and the LFP charging speed is good enough, so I'd stop to enjoy a quick needed break and charge.

IMHO, LFP by default has 5-10x cycle life of NMC, so when you hear of battery problems with NMC Model 3's that are at 100K miles, expect problem with LFP Model 3's having to worry about that at 500k-1M miles. ;)

I have 14k miles, full charge at 263 EPA miles..
Well I’m just looking for real world data…
Has anybody out there with LFP done 100000+ miles on all supercharging? What is their experience?

Well I’m just looking for real world data…
Has anybody out there with LFP done 100000+ miles on all supercharging? What is their experience?
I thought recent studies suggested supercharging made no difference?
There are LFP cars I’ve seen on other sites that have done over 150,000 miles and because they are used for taxi/Uber etc they spend a lot of time on fast or super chargers. They haven’t seemed to have lost any more displayed range than cars of the same age with a fraction of the mileage, like less than 5%. Don’t forget LFP has a slower charging speed also, so that might help. Seems like something that won’t be an issue within your ownership.

That’s good to hear. I saw a video of a rideshare guy doing 100k miles in a year and the battery was on its last leg. That was an older model 3 though, before LFP. I was just concerned as I’m on track to hit over 50k miles by the end of my second year.