Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Std Range + Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What sort of range have people been getting in the real world on the Standard Range Plus in the UK?

I have one on order while i am not concerned by the range so much. It would be good to get some really peoples views rather than what journalists like to call news nowadays.

It’s difficult to gage because your never really charging it to 90% and then driving off for 215 miles where you can compare the real miles versus range miles.

I have done three runs in recent days

Last weekend: Flying round with no regard for conserving range: 91 real miles driven. 107 range miles consumed.

Friday: Again driving with no regard for range conservation: 57 real miles driven and 71 range miles consumed.

I did a conservative drive at lunch time with no racing off at lights etc and had 29 real miles driven and 31 consumed.

I find real driving trips with variation a better gage than driving 200 miles after a full charge. As this is how people will use the car.

Thanks Lee.

Thats really useful information. I totally get your no longer in the Tank to Tank world of ICE. So it whole thing is different. What i am trying to understand is in the real world how close are the figures.

Sounds like they are much better than VW diesel numbers :)

It’s difficult to gage because your never really charging it to 90% and then driving off for 215 miles where you can compare the real miles versus range miles.

I have done three runs in recent days

Last weekend: Flying round with no regard for conserving range: 91 real miles driven. 107 range miles consumed.

Friday: Again driving with no regard for range conservation: 57 real miles driven and 71 range miles consumed.

I did a conservative drive at lunch time with no racing off at lights etc and had 29 real miles driven and 31 consumed.

I find real driving trips with variation a better gage than driving 200 miles after a full charge. As this is how people will use the car.

I haven't been taking too much notice, but these feel like very similar numbers to what I've been getting over my first week or so.

This is with air con and music playing the whole time too. The 91 mile trip involved M25, lovely south London traffic racing off at dozens of lights and country lanes on the way back. I thought a 16 mile variance was really good.

Plus after a week or so you learn how much the regen slows the car down and you can do most of your driving without really touching the brakes. It feels like this helps in town driving.

Plus after a week or so you learn how much the regen slows the car down and you can do most of your driving without really touching the brakes. It feels like this helps in town driving.[/QUOTE]

Pretty amazing feature I got used to quickly.... then nearly smashed up my wifes ICE car i had whilst my M3 was getting the paintwork corrected!!!

Plus after a week or so you learn how much the regen slows the car down and you can do most of your driving without really touching the brakes. It feels like this helps in town driving.

Pretty amazing feature I got used to quickly.... then nearly smashed up my wifes ICE car i had whilst my M3 was getting the paintwork corrected!!![/QUOTE]

Same experience! Took my wife's Fabia to fill it up and it was like fighting muscle memory!

OP - In my SR+ with the 19" wheels, these have been my results. (this is from Teslafi). Overall, I've been very pleased however I'm very aware that we've had perfect EV weather lately!

Remember 19” wheels are less efficient than the 18” with and without Aeros.

Yep - I wouldn't have gone out of my way or paid extra for them. The only reason I got them is that there was a car in stock with the premium wheels fit and since it's no longer an orderable configuration here in the UK, nobody was being matched to. That meant I was able to order from Bluewater and they manually matched me to it which resulted in a 1.5 day span from ordering to delivery with the wheels price adjusted down to the aero cost.

I was considering selling them for a set of 18" aeros but the aesthetics have grown on me and I keep seeing conflicting reports of actual impact on range. Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com even indicates that they're only seeing a 10ish mile per full charge difference vs aeros which is like 3-4% hit vs the 10 that was stated elsewhere. After some motorway driving, that's bearing out and I'm fine with the range I'm getting so I'll be keeping them.

Haha to be fair, I was surprised too! There were two of them on the screen that I saw. Both in white without FSD. The rest were Long Range models with aero in various colours in terms of in the UK or in Zeebrugge at the time. Worth going into a store and asking if they can see what’s in stock and manually matching. I also was flexible in terms of collection location so I picked it up at Heathrow.

What sort of range have people been getting in the real world on the Standard Range Plus in the UK?

I have one on order while i am not concerned by the range so much. It would be good to get some really peoples views rather than what journalists like to call news nowadays.
I'm like most and charging to 80% mainly (Top up when convenient) if i drive like a Grandad (Sorry Grandads!) i can get 200w/m and seen it at 195 on a few journeys.

My average is 245w/m which i am guessing is average?

I did a 100% charge and it maxed out at 237 miles but finding I'm getting around 200-210 real world driving.

It seems to be around a 15% difference to that shown on the clock and real world driving (If the clock says 100 miles really its 85 miles) Unless you drive really carefully.

I think that Max Range is only really valid on trips that are 100% to 0% ... or, more realistically, 100% to 10-20%. That offsets the start-off penalty across the whole journey. Also needs to be a cruise at a decent lick - 75MPH on motorway if that's your thing - and without traffic / roadworks holdup. That gives you a real world max range in ideal, traffic-free, conditions, and means you are using Climate at a steady rate whilst covering 75 MPH.

I find that, on long journeys, my February ones are about 10% worse. That's not including a February day where it is below 0C, or snowing / raining / v.windy, but on those dreadful days I would be pretty likely to cancel any long-journey drive.

My overall average for February is a good 30% worse than May / June ... which shows the influence of short journeys.

And even then I have significant difference between Legs where I am tight for range to a Supercharger, and those where I have energy-to-spare. Journey time is shorter if you drive faster and charge longer (provided that not all stalls full and you are not paired etc). But most likely you will have to stop anyway, so its just a question of how-long). I have range-enough tor each Supercharger then I press on, and overcharge at Supercharger so that I can press on on the next leg too.

That "max range" can then form the basis of your planning; in practice, there is usually Traffic and Roadworks; 30 minutes at 50 MPH converts a "tight for range" journey into one that is "comfortably doable". I charge to 100% if my journey is more than 75% of Absolute Max Range. On a perfect Summer's day with torrential thunderstorm I will be extremely lucky to make that (slowing below 50 won't help, same amount of water to push out of the way :( ) ... and that also gives me contingency for the odd detour or phone call to "Can you just pick THIS up"

The other figure is the "What will fuel cost me for the month", and for that the combined-cycle sort of stats are very relevant of course.

Reactions: gangzoom
I wonder if any of those 'stock' cars available for quick sale were damaged-and-repaired models from earlier shipments. There must be quite a few damaged ones as they come a long way.
If I was allocating them, I wouldn't try to sell one to one of my 'loyal' reservation holders. ;)

Range of the SR+ is looking very similar to our 75D X, 150-200 miles based on 100-0% at M-way speeds weather conditons dependent.

I've done 38k now in our X, loads of long distance family trips including popping over to France from Leicester.

Range bothers me so little am now running 22inch wheels on our X, which drops range by another 5-10%, am still yet to find a situation when I could have justified the extra £18k ish Tesla wanted for a 100D battery instead of our 75D pack.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
am still yet to find a situation when I could have justified the extra £18k ish Tesla wanted for a 100D battery instead of our 75D pack.

its a fair point. In my MS 90 I find I am often last-to-arrive and first-to-leave (OK, definitely some other leave before me ... but I have no way of knowing how long they were there before me ... but frequently many of the cars are still there when I leave).

Not been nerdy enough (or forward thinking ...) to have noted which were 75's on my arrival, but I suspect that 75s are more often charging above taper, and thus there for "quite some time", whereas I am on my way at Taper.

I will be upgrading to Raven soon, in order to have even less charging stops and even less wait when I do. I'm not sure that Price is justifiable to dwell-time-saved, but it is something to consider.

My guess is that as battery price falls, and motor-efficiency etc increases, bigger battery / longer range will become more common, and fewer/shorter stops at Chargers ... although conversely more people will be able to afford entry-level, shorter range, model. Blah! Perhaps I should just toss a coin!