Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 steering - not loving it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The steering is one of the highlights of this car. However everyone's preferences are different. Here is my view

Small wheel diameter +
Thick rim +
quick ratio +
Great adjustment for position of wheel +
Responsive +

wheel appearance -

Mostly I just let the car drive itself. That was the main reason I bought it. The Roadster was quicker (than the first-production RWD Model 3). It was prettier, and if you like driving it was more fun to drive. But my Model 3 is a better driver than I am. That makes it a safer car. Who cares about driving dynamics when you have a chauffeur?

(Yes, hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. Always. But with that it's a safer car.)

I've test driven the Model 3 three times now, and I left loving everything except the steering.

It isn't terrible (like steering in newer BMWs, which is just an absolute disaster). There's no dead spot on center and it's a smooth consistent feel as your turn the wheel, which is great. But it isn't exactly relaxing like the rest of the Tesla driving experience. It's a small radius wheel, turning it requires a lot of effort, and it's so sensitive (almost twitchy?) so you need to pay attention to not to overreact and keep the car straight and smooth. Putting it on comfort it becomes too soft yet still twitchy. No no no.

Does this go away once you get used to it? Googling is turning up zero complaints about it so maybe it's just a matter of acclimating?

For reference, I'm used to hydraulic steering in my older E46 BMW and 987 Porsche Cayman. I know electric steering won't match cars like these. I just hope I do acclimate to the Tesla steering over time.

I've driven a lot of cars with ostensibly great steering including Porsche Cayman and I have to say I just love the weighting and feel of the model 3 steering on standard. Admittedly, I have wider and lighter weight 20 in alloy wheels all the way around, and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (275/30s at the rear, and I run them a little softer than recommended about 38 39 pounds to trade range for extra traction).

I was just going through the Connecticut Foothills just north of Danbury Connecticut which is a gorgeous part of the world with some amazing secondary roads where you could really explore the handling envelope, and absolutely loving the way the car was responding, on a variety of tight and medium turns where I could push it (but not too much!) It was just incredibly responsive, tight, and with excellent feedback. Overall the 50 miles I spent going through the Connecticut Foothills on the way to my alma mater was one of the most memorable and enjoyable drives ever in any car. The car is just a delight to drive at 8/10ths, and that was about as far as I felt I could push the envelope on a public Road. I felt that I knew exactly what all four tires were doing. The quietness of the drivetrain helps you hear what the contact patches are doing and how hard they're working. A big part of what felt nearly perfect was the steering. The weighting was perfect, the feedback was excellent with more resistance as lateral forces build up, and it was incredibly precise terms of my ability to position the car in any turn.

It's easily one of the best handling cars I've ever driven, and it feels 500-600 pounds lighter than its actual weight. It's possible that if you are driving a standard model with something other than the pilot sport tires that what you're not liking is actually the feedback from the tire. It's also theoretically possible but very unlikely that the car that you are driving is somewhat out of alignment.

Anyway, hope that's helpful feedback.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerry33
Nothing beats the feel of manual steering with solid couples (i.e. U-joints) on the intermediate shaft. Both of my race cars (944T and 968) were that way, and yeah, the heavier one was a little harder and more fatiguing. But much better than boosted for feel.

That said, the 3's steering feels pretty darn good. Pretty comparable to the M-sport 535i mine will replace. If you want to know horrendous steering on a newer EPAS car is, go drive in Infinity. Test drove a Red Sport Q50 while shopping. The steering absolutely killed the car. I liked it otherwise (except stupid lack of a manual transmission). But the steering was so bad I eliminated it from consideration.

The Model 3 I test drove had really nice steering feel on sport setting. Not quite as scalpel like as my old Honda S2000, but very close. I would think most people will be happy with the steering feel. Not everyone will though.

Sounds good, how's your experience after a year with the Model 3 (compare with S2k)?
I have the S2000 too and haven't daily it since I got an Infiniti sedan.

I just ordered the Model 3 and planned to sell the S2000.

Sounds good, how's your experience after a year with the Model 3 (compare with S2k)?
I have the S2000 too and haven't daily it since I got an Infiniti sedan.

I just ordered the Model 3 and planned to sell the S2000.
Still loving it. No, it can't corner like an S2000 in rapid transition. Weight is weight. But for normal everyday driving the AWD Model 3 is a precision driving instrument. The steering is very quick and the car almost feels like it anticipates your next move. The S2000 is a road scalpel. The Model 3 maybe more like a digital carving instrument. You will love it.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
Still loving it. No, it can't corner like an S2000 in rapid transition. Weight is weight. But for normal everyday driving the AWD Model 3 is a precision driving instrument. The steering is very quick and the car almost feels like it anticipates your next move. The S2000 is a road scalpel. The Model 3 maybe more like a digital carving instrument. You will love it.
Oh one more thing I should add. The S2000 was a VERY stiff chasis. The Model 3 is stiffer. There is zero body flex in transition. The tires are the limiting steep (and the weight). I plan to swap out my contis for the Pilots is a few weeks. I think I will be happy with that extra grip. One of the things that made s2000 corner so well were those Potenza SO-2 tires. Those were about the best tires you could buy at that time fro street use. The Pilot 4s own that spot today.

Reactions: dfwatt
Guy or girl posts his or her personal opinion about his or her dislike of the steering wheel and the entire forum tries to convince him or her that he or she is wrong.

I'm gonna start a thread called "in my opinion grey is the ugliest color" and you're all invited to come along and try and prove the superiority of one color over another.

Guy or girl posts his or her personal opinion about his or her dislike of the steering wheel and the entire forum tries to convince him or her that he or she is wrong.

I'm gonna start a thread called "in my opinion grey is the ugliest color" and you're all invited to come along and try and prove the superiority of one color over another.

People read these forums to learn about the car. Some of them have not decided yet whether or not to buy one. Someone posts that they don't like the steering. Someone shopping for a car reads that and thinks, "Oh, maybe I shouldn't buy it if the steering is no good." But then others post their opinions of the steering. Not to "convince" the OP, but to provide other, contrasting views. Now our car shopper says, "Oh, a lot of people like the steering, I guess maybe it's just a few sports-car enthusiasts who don't like it because the Tesla steering is tuned as a family sedan, not as a race car. I won't cross it off my list after all."

Same thing happens if I post about something I don't like, and others chime in saying they do like that aspect of the car.

Eh. Most enthusiast forums for a particular car seem to settle in on the inherent issues with the car. The Model 3 is new enough that people are still not sure if what they are feeling is just personal preference, or consensus issues. Then you get to weed through the responses to find some signal.