Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 stereo upgrade question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey all, so i have a model 3 standard range plus. i am getting the audio components delivered this week
those components are,
PIONEER GM-D9701 Mono 2400W
Pioneer TS-SWX2502 10 inch Shallow-Mount Pre-Loaded Enclosure
Infinity REF-4022cfx 105W 4" Reference Series Coaxial Car Speakers with Edge-Driven, Textile tweeters - Pair

my installer is going to also tap the rear speakers from the trunk into the ones on the doors, and amp and sub will be installed in the trunk, my question is, for the amplifier, can he tap into the dc-dc converter? or do i need a capacitor? i feel that connecting to the 12v battery will drain it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Common_Loon
That doesn’t sound safe at all. Probably a good way to void your warranty as well. Just tap into the normal 12V electrical system. There’s other threads here that detail the correct way to do this. My understanding is that the 12V battery keeps getting recharged by the main high voltage battery. As long as you are not drawing an abnormal amount from the 12V you’ll probably be fine.

Well, if its safer to tap into the dc-dc converter, i ordered these 2 items

Attachments

• F85CEB21-70C2-4044-9FC8-5732C2B127D6.jpeg
    F85CEB21-70C2-4044-9FC8-5732C2B127D6.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 178
Holy crap!. You said you have an installer, but you're asking questions the installer should know...?

Also why are you buying 4" speakers? The car has ALL the speakers already in place and are simply not connected. if you change any out you're going to get different qualities of audio.

How are you planning to power the missing speakers? The corner window tweeters and rear shelf speakers are not plugged in and need a power source. I recommend getting a 5 channel class D amp, I believe pioneer makes one of the brand you posted but in a 5 channel config with a dedicated sub line.

You need to go over this guide until your eyes are blood shot , then read it 3 more times until you completely understand it. Then when you do, fire your installer.

How-To - Guide: Model 3 SR+ aftermarket to enable speakers and subwoofer upgrade install

I suggest contacting Reus - they do the best car audio work I've ever seen by a mile. Remember, when you have an electric car, it's critical that you have an experienced installer. I'm normally cheap, but I didn't see the value in trying to save money on the audio upgrade at the risk of harming the range or anything else. The downside is just too great, and the quality of a Reus system is WELL worth the extra money.

Even if their "entry" system is out of your price range, the owner (Rick) will be happy to help you build a system you can afford even if he's not a part of the sale at all. Their phone # is (714) 663-6636. Tell Rick that Pete with the red model 3 sent you. You will be happy you called him.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricEel
I suggest contacting Reus - they do the best car audio work I've ever seen by a mile. Remember, when you have an electric car, it's critical that you have an experienced installer. I'm normally cheap, but I didn't see the value in trying to save money on the audio upgrade at the risk of harming the range or anything else. The downside is just too great, and the quality of a Reus system is WELL worth the extra money.

Even if their "entry" system is out of your price range, the owner (Rick) will be happy to help you build a system you can afford even if he's not a part of the sale at all. Their phone # is (714) 663-6636. Tell Rick that Pete with the red model 3 sent you. You will be happy you called him.
How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

+1 Contact Reus Audio. Pay the extra and you will definitely be happy. Otherwise, you are just experimenting and you really won't know what you got till it done, and it very well may be sub-par, especially if you're using an installer that hasn't done a Tesla before. A properly functioning audio system is A LOT MORE than just name brand electronics. The Reus system cost is approximately $2,500 - $3,000 and up.

+1 Contact Reus Audio. Pay the extra and you will definitely be happy. Otherwise, you are just experimenting and you really won't know what you got till it done, and it very well may be sub-par, especially if you're using an installer that hasn't done a Tesla before. A properly functioning audio system is A LOT MORE than just name brand electronics. The Reus system cost is approximately $2,500 - $3,000 and up.

LMAO efffff I spent $200 for a class D amp and wiring and for a used Sub.

Read a single page on how to adjust it and it sounds damn good and has more base than the premium.

$2500 is an absolute rip-off of lean epic level.

What do you get with the Reus system?

He will be installing the sub, amp, and i purchased 2 infinity speakers 4 inch will be most likely replacing the 2.corner front speakers in the dash and connecting the rear speakers. I got the sub amp and the speakers from amazon total around 315

I suggest contacting Reus - they do the best car audio work I've ever seen by a mile.

Even if their "entry" system is out of your price range, the owner (Rick) will be happy to help you build a system you can afford even if he's not a part of the sale at all.

...and with Reus if and when you sell your car and get another, they will migrate the audio system upgrades to your new ride at a heavy discount. Sort of 'lifetime upgrade'.

What does Reus charge?