Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 stinks ....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dmurphy

Supporting Member
Really, the Model 3 stinks. It’s a terrible car.

... simply because, it’s completely ruined driving anything else for me.

Things like instant torque, turn signal stalks, steering, audio, the huge display, and so much more .... have me completely questioning the so-called “quality” of everything else I drive.

Warts and all - there’s NOTHING on the market like a Tesla. It’s the most amazing thing I’ve ever driven.

I drove my wife’s Enclave today - first time driving a gas car in about a month. Wow. I’m ruined. It just felt sloppy - things I thought were tight just felt ... cheap. Turn signal, for instance - whatever spring Tesla uses, it just gives a solid feel vs the Buick. Downshifting? What the heck is that?! And don’t get me started on how awful the in-dash screen is .... looks like a joke after Model 3.

So, Tesla, you stink. You’ve just destroyed any happiness I had in owning that Buick. It WAS a quality vehicle to me, at least in the 3-row SUV class ... now I’m ruined.

I thought changing my daily driver from an SUV to the Model 3 would drive me crazy .... instead, it’s the other way around. I couldn’t wait to get home and get back in my little electric sedan!!

My other car is a Range Rover Velar and I still love it every time I get in, it's no match for the acceleration and handling of my P3D but it's gorgeous inside and out. Tesla is a great car but somehow I just don't get the obsession and the fayboyism I see in a lot of Tesla owners. BMW, Audi, Porsche, Jaguar, LR, still make great cars, they are just not the same as a Tesla and they don't need to be.

We took our Lexus GX470 "Land Cruiser Prado" on a road trip last week and kept wishing it was a Model X. We didn't take our M3P on the trip since there was a bit of off roading involved and we needed the additional space. I even used the primitive touch screen navigation on part of the trip just for fun. Although it's a bit weak on passing power it wasn't terrible for an older gas vehicle but I did miss the Tesla. Now that we are back home I haven't driven the Lexus once plus that would require taking it to the gas station.

Not taking price into account it's too bad the X is only rated for towing 5k pounds. If they could improve that to 7.5k pounds I think they would have additional sales although that may involve a lot more supercharger stops.

Reactions: dmurphy
My other car is a Range Rover Velar and I still love it every time I get in, it's no match for the acceleration and handling of my P3D but it's gorgeous inside and out. Tesla is a great car but somehow I just don't get the obsession and the fayboyism I see in a lot of Tesla owners. BMW, Audi, Porsche, Jaguar, LR, still make great cars, they are just not the same as a Tesla and they don't need to be.

People can and will love other cars and don’t know if you’d consider me a fanboy based on comment above, but our Teslas really are so unlike, in a great way, the cars both of us have owned over the many decades, it’s hard not to express how enjoyable it is to drive one of these. Beginning of 2017 I started out never having been in a Tesla before (had two friends with Prius’ but honestly never that impressed with EVs) and my husband’s Model S won me over. I was skeptical about becoming a two EV-car family and was unsure about the even more minimalistic look of the Model 3 even at delivery time, but it took me no time to feel right at home in it and it won me over in no time. We could have bought any of those other brands you mentioned, been in a number of them that friends have, but when it came time to buy never felt the interest in owning one of them after driving a Tesla. The MS is a great car and my Model 3 is fun and a good size. It’s funny but I don’t see why people feel the need to remind owners here that there are other cars out there.

Yes it will do that (spoil you). Feel the same way and owned mine since Sept. It still feels like a new experience and I look forward to driving it each morning. No kidding.

I recognize your user name from earlier threads while you were waiting for your car and glad to see you’re enjoying the car.

Exactly ... I find myself looking for excuses to drive somewhere - anywhere! I don’t have a daily commute (work from home office) per se - either to the airport or customer sites is the closest I get ...

And thank you - my wife was hoping I’d shut the //// up about the Tesla once we got it. Hasn’t happened yet!

You love the ever loving *sugar* out of your car. :D

I’ve never been in your Buick but I’ll lay money down the 12V port is in a better position than the Model 3. :)

Indeed I do (of course you knew that!) and indeed it is. 2 of them - one under the center console and one in the hatch area. Also a 120V outlet on the rear of the console, and at least a half dozen USB ports.

My post was unduly harsh on the Enclave. It’s an excellent vehicle, for what it is. As a family hauler, there’s nothing else with the kind of space and utility the Enclave offers, with the feature set it has, at its price point. There’s actually quite a bit of tech in the Enclave that still hasn’t made it to Model 3. Things like, 360 camera, rear mirror camera, blind spot alerting (in mirror where it belongs!), cross traffic alerting, heated steering wheel, lane keep assist that actually works, pedestrian braking, XM Radio, standard Homelink, CarPlay/Android auto, and a bunch more. Really a lot of vehicle for an SUV in the Model 3’s price range.

you can't compare a Buik (which is so shitty it cant be sold anywhere else outside of the usa) to a luxury car brand like tesla...

Buick sells about 1.2 million vehicles in China annually .... so, no.

Of course. But they’re different. I don’t get the same feeling of rush and love I do when I get in anything but a Tesla. Maybe it’ll wear off... but I doubt it.

We took our Lexus GX470 "Land Cruiser Prado" on a road trip last week and kept wishing it was a Model X.

Not taking price into account it's too bad the X is only rated for towing 5k pounds. If they could improve that to 7.5k pounds I think they would have additional sales although that may involve a lot more supercharger stops.

Exactly. I drove the Enclave yesterday because we were bringing some family with us and I just found myself wishing I were in the 3. It just isn’t the same.

I don’t know that increasing towing on the X would really help sales much; most towing that kind of weight is likely going to be waiting on the pickup truck. Looking forward to that reveal.

I thought you were going to say it literally stinks, because mine still smells like new after 6 months. Wth?

Awesome! I love new car smell. And given how minimal the 3’s interior is, it’s easy to keep clean, so I’m hoping to preserve it as long as I can. Mine’s not a showpiece but a utilitarian car, so some amount of dirt and general wear is to be expected ...

Try this

145hl1.jpg

We took our Lexus GX470 "Land Cruiser Prado" on a road trip last week and kept wishing it was a Model X. We didn't take our M3P on the trip since there was a bit of off roading involved and we needed the additional space. I even used the primitive touch screen navigation on part of the trip just for fun. Although it's a bit weak on passing power it wasn't terrible for an older gas vehicle but I did miss the Tesla. Now that we are back home I haven't driven the Lexus once plus that would require taking it to the gas station.

I kinda don't want to go back driving gas cars. Realizing how much more convenient and comfortable electric is, gas based cars seem like a primitive idea of traveling. Even expensive luxury brand gas cars are shitty to drive compared to electric, like driving an indecisive machine when you slam down the accelerator. I remember those old Lexus commercials talking about how smooth their powerful engines are, and yeah they are comfortable for a gas car, but doesn't compare to electric.

I kind of wish all these old school luxury car companies can start making electric cars of their popular cars. Like maybe a BMW 3 series all electric, Lexus RX electric, or Mercedes S class electric? The only thing I wish Tesla would do is make a nicer interior like BMW or Lexus.

Really, the Model 3 stinks. It’s a terrible car.

... simply because, it’s completely ruined driving anything else for me.

Things like instant torque, turn signal stalks, steering, audio, the huge display, and so much more .... have me completely questioning the so-called “quality” of everything else I drive.

Warts and all - there’s NOTHING on the market like a Tesla. It’s the most amazing thing I’ve ever driven.

I drove my wife’s Enclave today - first time driving a gas car in about a month. Wow. I’m ruined. It just felt sloppy - things I thought were tight just felt ... cheap. Turn signal, for instance - whatever spring Tesla uses, it just gives a solid feel vs the Buick. Downshifting? What the heck is that?! And don’t get me started on how awful the in-dash screen is .... looks like a joke after Model 3.

So, Tesla, you stink. You’ve just destroyed any happiness I had in owning that Buick. It WAS a quality vehicle to me, at least in the 3-row SUV class ... now I’m ruined.

I thought changing my daily driver from an SUV to the Model 3 would drive me crazy .... instead, it’s the other way around. I couldn’t wait to get home and get back in my little electric sedan!!
Murph, I posted a similar post, “there’s something wrong with my car “. Man did I get flamed. Click bait etc etc. Honestly if I had visited this forum before buying I never would have bought the car. I used to have a soul sucking Prius. Very happy camper now. I can’t see myself behind the wheel of an ICE car ever again.

I kinda don't want to go back driving gas cars. Realizing how much more convenient and comfortable electric is, gas based cars seem like a primitive idea of traveling. Even expensive luxury brand gas cars are shitty to drive compared to electric, like driving an indecisive machine when you slam down the accelerator. I remember those old Lexus commercials talking about how smooth their powerful engines are, and yeah they are comfortable for a gas car, but doesn't compare to electric.

I kind of wish all these old school luxury car companies can start making electric cars of their popular cars. Like maybe a BMW 3 series all electric, Lexus RX electric, or Mercedes S class electric? The only thing I wish Tesla would do is make a nicer interior like BMW or Lexus.
Kinda?

When I drove my friend's new Panamera 4S recently, I came to the conclusion that pretty much any ICE is inferior to the current Tesla offering with respect to the driving experience. This is not fanboyism, it just a fact. Just about any ICE offering cannot compare the sheer fun of my Model 3. I totally agree the interior of the other luxury brands are better, but that doesn't make up for all the ICE deficiencies.

I have to be 100% honest with your post. It does completely ruin the feel of many cars. Especially when you compare it to very boring and cheap American cars. However, being a model 3 owner up until yesterday. It does not blow the water off all ice cars.

Lets begin....

If you live in a cold state. You will never get the suggested range and always be wondering... how far can I actually go?

Next would be trying to win a race anything above 60 MPH. They are a lighting bunny off the light, but that only last for a few second. Have watched and personally been roasted by many high end cars. ie- s4,S3,AMG,M4,M5. They all just have more power band until max speed.

Finally, it’s a nice interior and sound is great. Try stepping into a new high end German car and tell me if you are still feeling that love you had for your “Tesla interior” .

Overall the car worked great for me, but after dealing with countless issues with their customer service, price changes, inconsistent range, and buggy systems. I had to call it quits and snag a M5. Not one single regret.