Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Stock Tire Replacement (<7k Miles)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, wondering if anyone had a similar issue to me here. I've had my 2020 Model 3 for about 6 months now (~7k miles driven). Last night I got a warning saying that there was low tire pressure and to pull over and check for a flat. Sure enough there was a bolt wedged into my tire that was the size of at leas 2.5 inches in width. I immediately took the car to a tire shop down the road to see if they could patch / seal it for the time being. They were able to patch the outside, but warned me that I would need a replacement tire.

I called the Tesla service center this morning to see if I could bring in my vehicle (down in Brooklyn, NY) and I was told that there was a tire shortage! It would take close to a month given that the tires were on backorder. I called every service center within the NY vicinity and I got the same response from each of them. They advised me that I should just order from an independent retailer and have them either install the tire or get the service center to do it once I had the tire with me. This was definitely not the kind of experience I was expecting with something as simple as a tire replacement...

What's worse is that I wanted to claim a manufacturers warranty on the tire given the low mileage on the car. The stock tires were a continental pro-contact model and I know those have good warranty programs attached to them. Unfortunately, the service center didn't give me any details regarding the installation of the stock tires. No receipt, no invoice number, not even a location where the tires were put on to the car. Hard for me to even file a claim given this... Anyone have luck claiming a warranty claim on stock tires? If so how did you do it?

Hey guys, wondering if anyone had a similar issue to me here. I've had my 2020 Model 3 for about 6 months now (~7k miles driven). Last night I got a warning saying that there was low tire pressure and to pull over and check for a flat. Sure enough there was a bolt wedged into my tire that was the size of at leas 2.5 inches in width. I immediately took the car to a tire shop down the road to see if they could patch / seal it for the time being. They were able to patch the outside, but warned me that I would need a replacement tire.

I called the Tesla service center this morning to see if I could bring in my vehicle (down in Brooklyn, NY) and I was told that there was a tire shortage! It would take close to a month given that the tires were on backorder. I called every service center within the NY vicinity and I got the same response from each of them. They advised me that I should just order from an independent retailer and have them either install the tire or get the service center to do it once I had the tire with me. This was definitely not the kind of experience I was expecting with something as simple as a tire replacement...

What's worse is that I wanted to claim a manufacturers warranty on the tire given the low mileage on the car. The stock tires were a continental pro-contact model and I know those have good warranty programs attached to them. Unfortunately, the service center didn't give me any details regarding the installation of the stock tires. No receipt, no invoice number, not even a location where the tires were put on to the car. Hard for me to even file a claim given this... Anyone have luck claiming a warranty claim on stock tires? If so how did you do it?
You want to file a warranty claim for a tire with a bolt lodged in it? I don’t think that’s going to fly.

Also, why buy tires from Tesla and wait a month when you can just order from TireRack faster and for less money?

The bolt itself was absolutely abnormal -- I've seen punctures before but I think it was a combination of snowy cold weather (making the tires soft) that even made this sort of puncture possible. Figured I'd at least file a warranty claim and see if its covered given the relative newness of the tire (would hate to shell out ~300 for a new tire less than 6 months in)...

Got it on tire rack. Did you have the tires installed at a center closer by? Or did you have it delivered and done at the tesla service center?

Reactions: IdaX
The bolt itself was absolutely abnormal -- I've seen punctures before but I think it was a combination of snowy cold weather (making the tires soft) that even made this sort of puncture possible. Figured I'd at least file a warranty claim and see if its covered given the relative newness of the tire (would hate to shell out ~300 for a new tire less than 6 months in)...

Got it on tire rack. Did you have the tires installed at a center closer by? Or did you have it delivered and done at the tesla service center?

Uhh, you must've forgotten your HS chemistry. Rubber gets harder in colder conditions, not softer.

If you meant that cold weather drops the pressure inside the tire making it softer than, sure, but not keeping your tire pressure correct for the season is operator error.

What does that mean? A puncture is not covered under any manufacturers warranty that I am aware of.

I had my wheels and tires installed at a local shop. You don’t need Tesla to put tires on your vehicle.

OP, you might want to read the tire warranty again... FAIK, it only covers materials and workmanship, not road hazards. Getting a bolt stuck in your tire is classified as a road hazard, and not a defect in materials and workmanship; no tire on the market can resist getting punctured by a bolt.

Would you expect your window glass to be replaced under warranty if someone smashed it with a rock?

As far as shortages are concerned, Tesla has no control over their suppliers ability to supply them with inventory. COVID related shortages are to be expected, and beyond Tesla's control.

I'll be the first to take Tesla to task on areas that they deserve it, but IMO, this isn't one of them.

As far as shortages are concerned, Tesla has no control over their suppliers ability to supply them with inventory. COVID related shortages are to be expected, and beyond Tesla's control.

Car manufactures do have control over parts shortages. They can do more to negotiate with their part suppliers, and they can source equally good or better alternative parts if the supplier they chose isn't able to deliver. If TireRack can get the tire, why can't Telsa? I'll tell you -- it's Tesla's fault.

When I bought my Chevy Volt, I remember them trying to sell me “tire hazard” insurance. Something like $250. I’m pretty sure I laughed and rushed the finance guy to hurry up.

Just because the tires are new doesn’t mean the warranty will cover any type of damage. You have to prove it’s due to manufacturer defect. If you wreck the car driving off the dealer lot you think they’d let you claim warranty and give you a new car?
Tire rack includes 2 years of road hazard warranty with their tires. Just have it shipped to a reputable tire shop.

https://m.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/mobile/en/tires/trhp.html

Tesla isn't a tire store. Take your car to a good tire shop and they can take care of any treadwear warranty. The tire manufacturer will not be replacing your tire with a bolt in it. That is on you.

Tirerack with not only send you the tire, they will also give local installers with ratings and prices; they will ship the tire to you or the installer of your choice. I'm very curious about the nature of the repair you had though; the 2.5" whatever seems irrelevant because I can't see any such defect being repaired "from the outside". Did they plug it, or did they dismount and apply a patch on the inside (which could conceivably fix a linear injury of the dimension.). Not even sure you need a new tire; they may just be covering their potentially liable asses given any risk attached to a $30 service (or whatever you paid!)

If the damage was in the tread area, AND they patched it from the inside, I wouldn't worry about it. Heck....I don't even replace them when they are plugged and I mostly do those myself. If the sidewall was damaged, that's a different story.

Sure enough there was a bolt wedged into my tire that was the size of at leas 2.5 inches in width.

Hold on. A bolt 2.5in in width?? Did it fall out of a bridge? Let me see a photo.

20130503__ecct0504boltstuff2.jpg