Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Sunshade! YES!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct, just demonstrating many automakers make you pay extra for things that common sense say should come standard for the price, like cargo cover in a hatchback, or rearview camera in a BMW 340i. And Tesla is no dummy or saint, they will extract the appropriate amount out of your wallet.
I have a slightly different view.

If a significant % of customers don't want/need that "common sense" item - it is better that the price of the car is lowered than add the item to the base car and increase the price. I never wanted that Leaf hatch cover - glad they didn't bundle it.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
I don't really want the full glass. Sometimes it's nice for the rear passengers to be not lit up for the whole world to see. They may also want to go to sleep on a long trip, etc.

I'm going to limo tint (maybe double) the glass as a resort.

• Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
So for insulation at night when sleeping in the car? I wasn't clear earlier, but I'm specifically referring to sleeping in the car.
Yep if you want to sleep in the car. For example lets say you go camping and decide to sleep in the car. It would be better to insulate all the glass with some kind of shade. It should make it so it's a less strain on the HVAC system.

I'm planning on adding a high quality ceramic tint to mine if it gets too hot.
The automatic climate control should keep things under control when the car is parked though. And I would imagine that very little UV gets through the stock glass treatment.

I don't even think it is overpriced. I bought the Tesla ones for my S and love them. They protect against excessive wind when the sunroof is open, let some light through but almost no glare. Such products have never been standard equipment in any of my cars, so I even bought tonneau covers for my Morgan +8 and a Porsche 964 convertible, among others. The price for the Model 3 screen is pretty cheap when considering the spring loading and fabric mesh is has (I'm assuming it si similar to the ones for the S). I'll buy this when the time comes and think it will be a bargain.

I don't even think it is overpriced. I bought the Tesla ones for my S and love them. They protect against excessive wind when the sunroof is open, let some light through but almost no glare. Such products have never been standard equipment in any of my cars, so I even bought tonneau covers for my Morgan +8 and a Porsche 964 convertible, among others. The price for the Model 3 screen is pretty cheap when considering the spring loading and fabric mesh is has (I'm assuming it si similar to the ones for the S). I'll buy this when the time comes and think it will be a bargain.

So I must be slow because I can't figure it out, but do we only need 1 of these? I am trying to find pictures of the glass roof and from what I remember its split into two sections, so I assumed you would need 2? Or am I mistaken? It does say "1 x front glass roof sunshade" on it not back glass.

So I must be slow because I can't figure it out, but do we only need 1 of these? I am trying to find pictures of the glass roof and from what I remember its split into two sections, so I assumed you would need 2? Or am I mistaken? It does say "1 x front glass roof sunshade" on it not back glass.

Would purchasing two solve the problem? I am curious if it can be used on the front and read glass roof.

Reactions: Gtosnipey
Would purchasing two solve the problem? I am curious if it can be used on the front and read glass roof.

My thoughts exactly, and just for display purposes, you can see in the image below the section it would cover, right above the heads of the driver and passenger. That still leaves obviously the back portion which is a completely different size but will still take in a decent amount of sun and heat.

tesla-model-3-glass-roof-e1478279324136.jpg

My thoughts exactly, and just for display purposes, you can see in the image below the section it would cover, right above the heads of the driver and passenger. That still leaves obviously the back portion which is a completely different size but will still take in a decent amount of sun and heat.

tesla-model-3-glass-roof-e1478279324136.jpg

Could the rear portion just be a Model X windshield in reverse? Could I use a Model X sunshade?

Yep if you want to sleep in the car. For example lets say you go camping and decide to sleep in the car. It would be better to insulate all the glass with some kind of shade. It should make it so it's a less strain on the HVAC system.

I guess I don't see it having any effect at night when people are sleeping. At least not until the sun starts to rise and light/heat enter. Though, that small shade isn't going to do much good since it's only covering a small, already tinted and heat rejecting area of glass.