Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - superCharging without tesla app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm buying a M3 from a private seller and then driving 250 miles from LA to Vegas. My understanding is that it takes a few days for Tesla to add the car to my account. How do I go about supercharging my car during this journey if my car isn't associated with the app?

Also, separate question, I know a lot of people mention to check for battery degradation before purchasing a Tesla. How does one go about doing that?

Hi,

I'm buying a M3 from a private seller and then driving 250 miles from LA to Vegas. My understanding is that it takes a few days for Tesla to add the car to my account. How do I go about supercharging my car during this journey if my car isn't associated with the app?

Also, separate question, I know a lot of people mention to check for battery degradation before purchasing a Tesla. How does one go about doing that?

Can you borrow a Chademo adapter? Or buy one in advance? Then it’s just a matter of having a credit card and a phone. This is assuming there is a Chademo on route. Where we are Chademo outweighs Superchargers at least 10 to 1 so not a thing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
[
Just plug it in. It will start charging. You don’t need the app.

As a bonus, the charges will be billed to the old owner. So maybe give him $20 to cover it? Maybe not? ;)

Wouldn't the previous owner just remove the car from his account? Or his CC so it can't be charged? What happens if I get to a supercharger and he's turned off his account (he does also have a Model S)?

[

Wouldn't the previous owner just remove the car from his account? Or his CC so it can't be charged? What happens if I get to a supercharger and he's turned off his account (he does also have a Model S)?
Ask the new owner not to do that.

I don’t think there’s any automatic way to disassociate the car from your account, at least not that I’m aware of - Tesla needs to do it for you and everything Tesla does for you takes days/weeks.

I suppose the old owner could remove their payment method, but even that won’t prevent the car from charging immediately- they’ll still let you rack up charges for a period and then complain once they can’t bill your card.

[

I don't think that he can just remove the car from his account. Tesla will not block the charging due to an expired card.

I imagine there are lots of different chargers between LA and Vegas. Does the Tesla charger not work with every kind?

You can only plug into superchargers and what are called "L2" chargers. They have a plug called J1172 that the owner should provide you with. The L2 chargers will take a few hours, but at least you aren't stranded.

Chademo has a $450 adapter that you probably don't want to pay for.

Ask the new owner not to do that.

I don’t think there’s any automatic way to disassociate the car from your account, at least not that I’m aware of - Tesla needs to do it for you and everything Tesla does for you takes days/weeks.

I suppose the old owner could remove their payment method, but even that won’t prevent the car from charging immediately- they’ll still let you rack up charges for a period and then complain once they can’t bill your card.

There is. Just log in to your account on the website. Hen you manage your car, you can click the I sold the car button.

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd