Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tire Blowout Emergency Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In addition to the spare wheel/tire, I think that these are the items that you should have to quickly and easily fix or change a flat:
tesla_tirekit1.jpg

-Mark

Nice! Which jack is that? Looks nice!

What is that cotter pin looking thing? And the red/white thing is a flashlight I assume?

Also, is that power cord long enough to actually reach the wheels from the 12v jack? And has anyone figured out the amperage of the 12v plug in a Model 3? (I have not gone searching in the manual)

What are the vice grips for? Pulling out screws or debris?

Heh, I am not generally the type to run out of battery. :)

This is my adapter kit and I have the background and skills to wire in just about anywhere.

View attachment 369741
I'm speechless.
You're prepared to add breakers to an electrical panel in order to charge your car? Aren't there too many different types to make that practical? Where's your adapter to make 240V from two standard outlets?

• Funny
Reactions: Glamisduner
I'm speechless.
You're prepared to add breakers to an electrical panel in order to charge your car? Aren't there too many different types to make that practical? Where's your adapter to make 240V from two standard outlets?

To answer the basic question: Yes, I am capable and ready to add breakers to a panel temporarily to charge a car if it was absolutely necessary. ;-) Though thus far it has not been necessary. And to be clear, I do not carry ALL of this around with me in the car. The NEMA 14-50 enclosure with the SOOW cord, strain relief attached to it, and breakers has never been used with my Model 3.

There are actually not *that* many breaker types in use in my geography. If you get an Eaton 240v 50a breaker they are actually cross-rated to a whole bunch of different manufacturers panels since quite a few folks use that same basic style and dimension of breakers. Eaton, Siemens, Square D, and Cutler Hammer (CH) style breakers probably would cover the majority of what you run into around here.

With that being said, I actually built that temporary hardwire setup back in 2012 for a very specific trip. A friend had a new Model S that he wanted to take to another friends Tree Farm that was under construction but he would not have enough range to make it home. The night before we went I realized my friend (building the house) had a brand new Siemens panel installed for construction and so I went out and threw that "Emergency Tesla Charging Station" together. I already had the SOOW cord from an old UPS so all I really needed was the 14-50 receptacle box and the breaker.

Given enough electrical knowledge, range anxiety is much less of a thing since you realize you can find a way to charge just about anywhere. ;-)

As to why I don't have a "Quick 220": I am not really a fan of this device. I get its purpose and use case, but I have issues: 1. It encourages the use of random circuits that likely have other (unknown) loads on them so it is easy to overload the circuit. 2. It basically requires the use of extension cords since you are trying to find two circuits on opposite phase legs in a house, etc... 3. It encourages the use of general purpose convenience outlet circuits that are daisy chained from one outlet to the next. This is lots of potential failure points.

If I am going to go to that much trouble and cost to charge, it is WAY easier to just hard wire into the panel.

Note also: I can take and hard wire into existing breakers that I "borrow" by unhooking something else. A couple weekends ago I stole a 20a 240v breaker to backfeed in a generator connection at my inlaws during a power outage. For EV charging I could do something similar. Say unhook the dryer or range or AC or something not critical... ;-)

I installed a 14-50 off of the main panel at my brothers house in Oroville, we go there in the summer 2 or 3 times a year, no SC near him, it took us all of 10 minutes to install, if you know what your doing like @eprosenx then it is very easy to install or modify something to charge with.

Yeah, I am just installing permanent 14-50's everywhere I go more than once. So far my mom's beach house, my dad's house, and a friends tree farm are all covered. Next up is the in-laws place and one other friends vacation home.

Reactions: gilscales
[QUOTE="eprosenx, post: 3340667, member: 78095" Which jack is that?
What is that cotter pin looking thing?
And the red/white thing is a flashlight I assume?
Also, is that power cord long enough to actually reach the wheels from the 12v jack?
What are the vice grips for? [/QUOTE]
tesla_tirekit1.jpg

- The Jack is from an Audi TT and I machined the the custom jack-pad myself [contact forum member Ceekz if you are interested to buy one!!]
- The bent wire form is a Tesla-supplied tool for removing the center caps on 20" wheels.
- The red and white thing in a 21mm non-marring ½" drive socket. I do keep a LED flashlight in the car, but it is in the center console and all this other stuff is in stored in a small nylon bag in the lower trunk.
- Yes the cord is long enough. I actually shortened the stock cord when I added the Anderson PowerPole connector to it. Note that I have added additional Anderson 12V power outlets in my car that are each fused at 20A.
- The vice grips and screwdriver are for removing whatever is wedged into the tire.

• Love
Reactions: eprosenx
Yeah, I am just installing permanent 14-50's everywhere I go more than once. So far my mom's beach house, my dad's house, and a friends tree farm are all covered. Next up is the in-laws place and one other friends vacation home.
You using the Bryant ones I posted about? or just the outdoor RV boxes like these? Talon 50 Amp Outdoor Enclosed Panel with 14-50R Receptacle-LGP1S - The Home Depot

I can't find a box like this that has the larger 2.48" hole for the Bryant outlet

You using the Bryant ones I posted about? or just the outdoor RV boxes like these? Talon 50 Amp Outdoor Enclosed Panel with 14-50R Receptacle-LGP1S - The Home Depot

I can't find a box like this that has the larger 2.48" hole for the Bryant outlet

I like the Eaton outdoor enclosure boxes. They have a Cooper receptacle in them. I have stock of a couple more of them to use up anyway. I was going to buy some of the Bryant ones you linked to, but never got around to it. As you say, I don’t think they would fit in any of the outdoor boxes I know of.

Here is the install at my dads place:

186992F8-7F22-40F0-99D8-8A8AD3677D8B.jpeg

And here is the one at my moms beach house. Used Connecticut electric as I actually wanted it to be an RV hookup with TT-30 and 5-20 receptacles as well. (Some cheap Chinese 14-50)

2A8FC49B-44F1-4B45-B251-0B195AC42F24.jpeg

Looks pretty easy assuming you can put the 14-50 close to the panel. My installed had to go through my crawls space across the entire house... But hey if you want to charge here I would't mind a second outlet :)
Yeah, usually running the wire under/over/through the house to get to your preferred location is the hardest part, after that it's only 4 wires to connect at each end.

• Funny
Reactions: NeverFollow