Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have read and read. Still on the fence. Got a set of Forgestar C5FV 20x9 +35 square setup coming.

Recommended by a few places, like Signature, run a 245/35/20 tire. Some say 235/35/20. Think 255 would be too chunky. Already at 245/35 it is about .44" larger in diameter. 235s are very close to stock 18" aero diameter.

Going to lower on coilovers...probably around 1.4-1.5" roads aren't too terrible where I live, but everywhere always has a pothole here/there or railroad tracks...I'm usually pretty paranoid and slow for anything or avoid at all costs.

Thoughts? Thanks

I think 235/35/20 on a 20x9 looks stretched; that’s how my Uberturbines came and I didn’t like it. 255 would look good IMO but I think 245 is the sweet spot for a 9” wide rim, though some tires run wider than others in the same size.

My advice would be to go with the 245/35/20. For reference, here’s a pic I took today of a 255/35/20 on a 20x9.5 wheel, a 245/35/20 should have a similar tire/rim ratio on 20x9.

894FA4F9-5529-4209-90BB-3A93C6BC1E20.jpeg

Reactions: techlogik
^Thinking 245/35/20 is a good tire sidewall, slightly larger diameter, but good compromise.

Is there a list somewhere in this thread of Best/Value-Performance/Worst tires currently people are using?

Feel that would be good on a sticky thread that the first post has a list of Best...Best Value....Worst etc..

Thanks

Has anyone recently moved to Continental Extreme Contact DWSO4 Plus (the brand new ones)? I am deciding between these and the Michelin All Season Sport 4 (also fairly new). Live in Florida but want a safe and quality tire will good road manners :)

Has anyone recently moved to Continental Extreme Contact DWSO4 Plus (the brand new ones)? I am deciding between these and the Michelin All Season Sport 4 (also fairly new). Live in Florida but want a safe and quality tire will good road manners :)
I had mine put on 2-3 weeks ago. I think I’ve got a few hundred miles on them now. They’ve been great but haven’t really put them to the test. I have owned a few sets of both the original dws 06 and pilot sport as3 and as3+ and loved all those as well. Hard to compare as I had those on different vehicles and I also upgraded the rims when I switched to these DWS 06 plus.

You’ll definitely find the traits you’re looking for in the dws 06 plus, the Michelin’s will most likely be a bit sportier and possibly slightly better in rain but I don’t think they would be massive different. The dws 06 should theoretically be more efficient and road noise is probably pretty close to the same. However it’s hard to know there’s not much information out there on them, much less comparing the two. Dws 06 will also be cheaper and I would guess last slightly longer.

I have an OEM set of 20 inch 8.5 wide and +35 wheels for my Performance 3. I am looking for a set of tires that is wider with more side wall than stock. What is the maximum that I can get away with without rubbing or confusing the traction control? I read parts of this thread and the consensus seems to be 245/35/20. Has anyone run 255/35/20 without confusing traction control and without rubbing?

I have an OEM set of 20 inch 8.5 wide and +35 wheels for my Performance 3. I am looking for a set of tires that is wider with more side wall than stock. What is the maximum that I can get away with without rubbing or confusing the traction control? I read parts of this thread and the consensus seems to be 245/35/20. Has anyone run 255/35/20 without confusing traction control and without rubbing?
There are many on here are running the 255/35/20s without issue on a stock M3P, search through this thread and you will see examples and pictures. I'm going to order the same this week for my 20x9 +35 wheels, it's a great setup if you're looking to maximize sidewall and width. Biggest plus for the 255 vs 245 that I can see is tire availability and pricing is quite a bit better as well.

Last edited:
Also posted in the wheel thread.

I bent 2 Performance wheels and damaged PS4S tires this weekend.

Looking at a Titan-7 SP-5 19"x9" +35 wheel. Would running a 255/35ZR19 PS4S fit without rubbing? Or, should I stick with 245/40ZR19 PS4S? Problem is the 245 PS4S is backordered for a month.

Thanks for your time!

Also posted in the wheel thread.

I bent 2 Performance wheels and damaged PS4S tires this weekend.

Looking at a Titan-7 SP-5 19"x9" +35 wheel. Would running a 255/35ZR19 PS4S fit without rubbing? Or, should I stick with 245/40ZR19 PS4S? Problem is the 245 PS4S is backordered for a month.

Thanks for your time!
Sorry to hear...
Is that because you were on a track? or daily driving? Just curious...

Sorry to hear...
Is that because you were on a track? or daily driving? Just curious...
Daily driving. Highway construction where the road was milled down and the lip to a non-milled bridge was exposed. The small pavement ramp that is usually there to lessen the impact was washed away during the tropical storm that passed through. A Model S P100D was also on the side of the road with me with 2 flats.

Hi, first post (yay!). I just ordered a set of aftermarket wheels that are 20x9 squared for my 2021 Model 3 and the sheet recommended tires that are 255/30/20. I'm reviewing the the Michelin Sport All Season 4's on the product page and the closest set are these two specifications:
  • 255/35ZR20/XL 97Y BSW
  • 255/35ZR20/XL 97W TPC ZP BSW
Will these fit the car + wheel combo? Should I look elsewhere and what would you recommend? My goal is to have all season because this will be my daily car.

Thanks for your wisdom!

At 23K and the original Michelins are down to the wear bars. I got three quotes from Les Schwabb today (Michelin, Michelin, and Bridgestone).

My top priority, far above everything else, is a quiet ride (wife is hard of hearing). Someone here was impressed with the quietness of the Turanza, but someone else said the wore down after only 6K miles.

20210714_154142.jpg

I'm at 23K and the original Michelins are down to the wear bars. I got three quotes from Les Schwab today (Michelin, Michelin, and Bridgestone).

My top priority, far above everything else, is a quiet ride (wife is hard of hearing). Someone here was impressed with the quietness of the Turanza, but someone else said they wore down after only 6K miles.

View attachment 684604

PS. The Costco price for the Turanzas is $970.

A lot of smart people here. Awesome

I've spent the past hour reading this and am still not sure on 245 or 255 PS4S on my soon to be here P3. Stats wise it looks like either will be fine with the computer by selecting the Zero G wheels as previously mentioned. I've compiled below the meaningful stats from the tires that are the most important to the conversation of putting real rubber on the stock wheels.

For me, my main concern is driving dynamics. I like the looks and potential wheel saving capabilities of the 255 however I'm concerned it'll make the cornering feel sloppy and uncommunicative. I've lost feel with cars in the past by putting too large a tire on a wheel and definitely don't want to make that mistake with this incredible machine. Yes the price difference is nice but I don't want to potentially add numbness to a $60k sports car to save $400. When people in this thread say improved "handling" I'm not sure if they mean how it takes bumps, how it sticks around a corner, or how it feels around a corner. Likely, different people are using the term differently. For me how it feels is more important than how it sticks. My above all goal is fun to drive and, for me, that means communicative and sharp like a scalpel.

With that said, 245 or 255? :p

Thank you!!!

Best,
Gene

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 9.20.56 PM.png

So just installed 20x9 square setup with 245/35/20 Falken Azenis FK510. Have to say the ride is as quiet generally as the stock 18 aero setup. Only on certain roads that are rough is it louder. On some roads like smooth, they are quieter than stock. Handling a little better. But coilovers hopefully will solve most of the floaty poor stock setup.