Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 to get OLED screen(s)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

J1mbo

Aug 20, 2013
UK
From Korean Times via Teslarati:

"Tesla intends to use more Korean technology on its Model 3. It decided to use tires manufactured by Hankook Tire and LG Display will possibly be supplying its OLED panels for the automotive systems. Additionally, Tesla is testing the manufacturing capability and production of LG Chem, Samsung SDI and SK Innovation," said an official, Tuesday.

1. Center display
2. Rear-view mirror?
3. HUD?

Depends very much on cost, volume and reliability.

Assuming those are right I can easily see OLEDs turning up in the S, X and top version of the 3 and working their way into the cheaper variants over time.

Just going to jump in real quick and put the explanation in for those who didn't know the difference like myself, I'm sure I'm not alone.

"The main difference between an LED and an OLED is that the pixels of an OLED are self illuminating, whereas LED are used to light an LCD display."

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
Small OLEDs (as could be used in a HUD system) are cheap - most fitness bands have them, for example.

Larger ones are also pretty cheap: the 14" OLED screen in the 2016 Thinkpad X1 Yoga (Forbes) is almost the same size as the M3 center console.

Not having a backlight, they are generally thinner and more reliable than LCD screens, with better colour reproduction and "infinite" black levels.

EDIT: many smartphones and tablets use OLED now, and they work just as well outdoors as in - Samsung have been using it for years. Anyone with an S6 or S7 will know that they are bright enough :)

Yeah, OLEDs have plenty of brightness in the sun, more so than LED backlit LCD screens (iPhone)

Let's all remember we're talking about OLED vs LED backlit LCD not pure LED.

I highly doubt they'll go OLED simply due to cost, lifespan, and heat sensitivity (hot car in direct sun). Don't get me wrong OLED looks fantastic, but it won't really work long term in a car unless technology has greatly improved.

And why would that be an advantage in a car dashboard?

It's not the thickness that matters much (although less thickness = less weight, less room it takes up on the dash).

It's because on the LCD screen you would see the backlight glow in the dark even with an all-black screen image. It would be even more pronounced when looking at an angle (from the driver's viewpoint). During the reveal event, the backlight glow from the center-mounted screen was very distracting on the videos.

OLED screen would not glow like this. You would only see the pixels that are on. It would make a huge difference when driving at night.

smspwgrcjanycwunakfe.jpg

Last edited:
In theory with Transparent OLED screens they could be incorporated into the windshield.

This would eliminate the projection from a HUD. If your side and rear mirror monitors were in the windshield (no hanging monitor) it would give a clean look both inside and out while reducing drag. Some laws would need to change along with costs coming down a lot but that could be an option 4-5 years down the line.

Reactions: Lunarx
Super bright images quicken the burn-in effect.

While I haven't had burn in personally, I've seen the store models burn in even when they aren't in the daylight brightness because the screen is on constantly.

The main contributor of burn in on OLEDs is heat. Superbright = more heat. Newer OLEDs are a little more tolerant.

Heat is present especially in a car on a hot day which is why I'm saying OLEDS aren't a good choice for cars. For phones with normal use burn in isn't a problem.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tanquen
is it not a problem on a phone because cells are now a 2 year max life disposable item? With a car's expected lifespan significantly more than a cell phone (or tv/computer monitor for that matter), I personally don't think those items should be a gauge for long-term performance in a car.

While I haven't had burn in personally, I've seen the store models burn in even when they aren't in the daylight brightness because the screen is on constantly.

The main contributor of burn in on OLEDs is heat. Superbright = more heat. Newer OLEDs are a little more tolerant.

Heat is present especially in a car on a hot day which is why I'm saying OLEDS aren't a good choice for cars. For phones with normal use burn in isn't a problem.

is it not a problem on a phone because cells are now a 2 year max life disposable item? With a car's expected lifespan significantly more than a cell phone (or tv/computer monitor for that matter), I personally don't think those items should be a gauge for long-term performance in a car.

While it would be neat the static content on a car display and the brightness requirement during daylight isn't conducive towards using a tech like OLED at this time. It sure would be pretty though.

Me either, exactly. So everyone in this thread seems to be in agreement that OLEDs are not going to happen on the Tesla Model 3.

Bit of a leap there.

LG are confident they have solved the traditional OLED problems of image retention, screen burn and colour decay.

It may surprise you that LCD screens can also suffer from image retention, or image persistence. Digital signage suffers from this more than you would expect, but there are ways to reduce the impact.

Anyone seen anything like that on their MS screens?