Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Trunk with Rear Seats Folded Down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the following photo of alpha prototype (from MotoTrend photo session) there are three panes of glass: windshield, top section right above first row, and long section covering second part of the roof above second row and continuing as a rear view window:

2017-Tesla-Model-3-top-view-interior-seats.jpg

So the metal roof is possibly means just the second part only. I.e. the long part of glass on the back will be the same for all-glass roof and metal roof configuration. Hence no hatchback for metal roof option.

It's just my guess however. I don't remember any pictures of RCs with metal roof :confused:

Based on the following photo of alpha prototype (from MotoTrend photo session) there are three panes of glass: windshield, top section right above first row, and long section covering second part of the roof above second row and continuing as a rear view window:

2017-Tesla-Model-3-top-view-interior-seats.jpg

So the metal roof is possibly means just the second part only. I.e. the long part of glass on the back will be the same for all-glass roof and metal roof configuration. Hence no hatchback for metal roof option.

It's just my guess however. I don't remember any pictures of RCs with metal roof :confused:

You are correct, the front and rear glass doesn't change so it can only be the middle one.

Here's a discussion about it:
Photoshop Help with Production Model 3 with the Metal Roof?!?

I'm very excited that I was able to fit not one but 2 camp footlockers in the Model 3 trunk without folding down the seats! This was quite difficult in the Model S when I took our kids to camp last summer, I'm pleasantly surprised they fit in the 3. The footlockers (C&N brand) measure 32x18.5x13.5. Full disclosure, it is a very tight fit, right up against the seat backs and contacts the trunk lid liner when closed (but lid shuts securely.

IMG_9070.JPG

IMG_9069.JPG

I'm very excited that I was able to fit not one but 2 camp footlockers in the Model 3 trunk without folding down the seats! This was quite difficult in the Model S when I took our kids to camp last summer, I'm pleasantly surprised they fit in the 3. The footlockers (C&N brand) measure 32x18.5x13.5. Full disclosure, it is a very tight fit, right up against the seat backs and contacts the trunk lid liner when closed (but lid shuts securely.

View attachment 279999

View attachment 279997
are you saying the trunk of the model 3 is wider than the S' one?

are you saying the trunk of the model 3 is wider than the S' one?

No, I think they're pretty close width-wise. The problem with the S was actually the rear lift gate glass. When I tried to get the 2 trunks in there lengthwise (like in the picture) with the 2nd row seats occupied, the lift gate wouldn't close (glass of the hatch would contact the corner of the trunks). I ended up getting them in the S with one down in the footwell at an odd angle.

• Informative
Reactions: Need