Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 UK Charging: anyone else struggling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

McNulty

Sep 2, 2019
UK
I picked up my Model 3 last week. I visited a supercharger on the way home and the CCS charging was seamless. Outside the Tesla Ecosystem things are not going so well. I'm struggling to connect to ChargeMyCar chargers near me, I've tried to connect to CCS plugs on two stations so far, the car either cannot connect or cannot lock onto the chargers. Any advice for a newbie? Thanks,

Holding both scroll wheels down foa a few seconds will re-boot the center screen. If you are pressing the brake pedal at the same time, supposedly it will do a “hard reset.”

You might also check PlugShare.com to see comments about the CCS chargers you visited to see if other people are having problems with them.

Good Luck,

GSP

After four years with EVs I’ve come to the conclusion that third-party chargers are very much a lottery. This is partly why I went for the long-range battery. Range is king!

After many bad experiences with the Leaf I always avoid Ecotricity chargers. The most I’ve had to rely on third-party chargers was during our trip up to Skye in the Kona. The ChargePlace Scotland chargers we tried were all free and all reliable.

You’ll find that 90% of your charging will be done at home. Unless it’s at a Tesla Supercharger, you’ll find the other 10% will be both hit-and-miss and a PITA.

Sad to hear that public chargers are problematic on the Model 3. I have no end of grief from the local rapids on my Evezy i3. I just assumed that it was the car as other people seem to get on ok with different connectors, etc.

Chargemaster rapids are a lottery for me. 9 times out of 10 it won't stay charging for more than 3-4 minutes. On some of the particularly bad ones it lasts 1 minute tops. A local-ish Polar Ultracharger works every time.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
Sad to hear that public chargers are problematic on the Model 3. I have no end of grief from the local rapids on my Evezy i3. I just assumed that it was the car as other people seem to get on ok with different connectors, etc.

Chargemaster rapids are a lottery for me. 9 times out of 10 it won't stay charging for more than 3-4 minutes. On some of the particularly bad ones it lasts 1 minute tops. A local-ish Polar Ultracharger works every time.
Is that the Polar just east of Bath, Bailbrook House? I will be using that one when i visit my parents as not many in Bath. Also i can Granny charge at there house :)