Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Under Carriage Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I was driving on a dirt road today when I hit a pot hole on the driver side. It appears there was some under carriage damage.

I scheduled a service appointment for this week, but does anyone have any experience with this?

I’m not really a “car guy” in the sense of Idk what I’m looking at in terms of visible damage or if any of you can see something overly concerning that I can’t.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• DA6F177E-48BA-43B5-ABC2-E41E4065F103.jpeg
    DA6F177E-48BA-43B5-ABC2-E41E4065F103.jpeg
    478.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 02888D19-6474-4107-8E4F-14BD3B839224.jpeg
    02888D19-6474-4107-8E4F-14BD3B839224.jpeg
    517.8 KB · Views: 100
One of my main concern is how it looks compared to the other side which sits flush.

If it’s just cosmetic, that’s fine, but I was wondering if there’s any issues with that metal wheel being exposed?

If you're concerned about it, go have it checked out because nothing is going to calm your mind other than having an actual mechanic look at it and tell you it's okay or it needs to be replaced.

That's the Aero cover in the rear I believe. It's an easy swap out. I'd probably just have them replace it. There have been numerous cases of these tearing off driving too fast through deep water puddles. If a surge of water catches that opening in heavy rain and you hit standing water that might just happen in this case.

That's the Aero cover in the rear I believe. It's an easy swap out. I'd probably just have them replace it. There have been numerous cases of these tearing off driving too fast through deep water puddles. If a surge of water catches that opening in heavy rain and you hit standing water that might just happen in this case.

I’ve been reading up on this issue the last hour or so, it sounds like they switched this material from a composite material to a harder plastic?

I’ve been reading up on this issue the last hour or so, it sounds like they switched this material from a composite material to a harder plastic?

Really up to you, but if it were me I would not let my car sit like that with an open wound underneath. Are you leasing and don't care? Most likely even with a lease they'll make you replace it when returning the car as this isn't normal wear and tear.

I just wouldn't want all the winter road grime having such an easy gap to enter and coat my sway bar bushings, etc, with salt and whatever else.

Really up to you, but if it were me I would not let my car sit like that with an open wound underneath. Are you leasing and don't care? Most likely even with a lease they'll make you replace it when returning the car as this isn't normal wear and tear.

I just wouldn't want all the winter road grime having such an easy gap to enter and coat my sway bar bushings, etc, with salt and whatever else.

This is not a lease and I agree definitely in my best interest and for peace of mind worth getting fixed.

I sent in a service request and have an appointment for this Thursday. Since the pot hole was enough to do that damage I’ll probably just get a wheel alignment too.

From what I read online it seems like at minimum it’ll be $200 diagnostic fee + $250 wheel alignment + $200 undercarriage replacement.