Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MOdel 3 versions are so confusing!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my Volt EVSE, I rarely unplug it in over a year possibly two times. No overheating. Mind you it is only low amperage of 12 (AFIK).
I plan on using the Tesla just like I have with the Volt, with the only difference being the current.
@Kappelan - the BX feeding your charger looks fairly small (#10 at most) to be used with anything > 24 amp charging, but that might also be the rating of your charger.

With my Volt EVSE, I rarely unplug it in over a year possibly two times. No overheating. Mind you it is only low amperage of 12 (AFIK).
I plan on using the Tesla just like I have with the Volt, with the only difference being the current.
@Kappelan - the BX feeding your charger looks fairly small (#10 at most) to be used with anything > 24 amp charging, but that might also be the rating of your charger.
The BX looks "really" small; maybe #12? What gauge is the wire? We have been using the OEM charger for ~ a year on a 14-50 circuit hardwired to our 100 amp panel on a 40 amp breaker ( nominal net 32 amp ) with no problems. We used #8 wire in a conduit to a box.

If you're worrying about unplugging the mobile connector, just get an extra 14-50 adapter and always leave it in the socket, in 10 months of model 3 ownership I've only unplugged it once. This might vary by where you live and where you are going.

As for the j1772 connector, I've only heard of them melting on public stations outdoors, could have been full of dirt, stated carrying a can or compressed air in the trunk as the public charger near my work I've found the plugs get dirty if people drop them on the grass or snow.
I use my UMC too and leave it permanently in my garage. I did buy another one that I can keep in my M3 and another 14-50 adaptor..

Attachments

• UMC.jpg
    UMC.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 45