Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 whirring noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2019 SR+ has approx. 8,000 miles on it and is 1 year old. Last week when I opened the passenger door to retrieve something a load whirring noise started upon me closing the door. I sounds like a fan that is loose and rubbing up against its' enclosure. This just started in the last 2 weeks during this extreme heat (for us) spell. I live in the Detroit area. Should I contact service?

Brand new 2021 M3LR and I noticed this as well. I went into garage an hour ago to confirm no lumbar support on the passenger side. Even after getting back out of the car, the whirring noise continued. It's coming from the frunk area. I even tried turning off wifi in case this was keeping the car awake or something. So I have wifi removed, turned off A/C, climate, turned off sentry mode, and I still hear that whirring. Also I am getting some drain.

Is this normal? How long before it stops?

Last edited:
The car will turn systems on and off as needed to protect electronics, cool internal components, etc. For example, the car will continue to run a fan to dry out the condenser for the climate system to prevent the funky A/C smell that can develop. No worried, I don't believe you have anything wrong with the car.

The car will turn systems on and off as needed to protect electronics, cool internal components, etc. For example, the car will continue to run a fan to dry out the condenser for the climate system to prevent the funky A/C smell that can develop. No worried, I don't believe you have anything wrong with the car.
I've read that last night but this sounds more like high-pitched almost like a buzzing. It doesn't sound like the A/C fan when that turns on. Going on an hour and there's some battery drain.