Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Width

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, it is easier to build a car that's similar to an existing model. But when you only sell 3 models, do you really want two of them to be kinda sorta similar in size? Of course there are still a number of differences between Models S and 3, including the fact that Model S is a foot longer. But I have to wonder whether greater differentiation would benefit sales volumes in the long run.

Hard to say, but price is a big differentiator. There are a ton of people who only aren't buying the S because it's too expensive.

You don't need to worry about the width because the purchase price entitles you to use 1.5 parking spaces...

badpark1.png

I dunno - the recent Model 3 pics that have popped up - especially the comparison pics of the 3 parked next to a Bolt at a Whole Foods - suggest that the car might not really be as wide as what Tesla has posted on their own site. Looks far narrower than the S.

I dunno - the recent Model 3 pics that have popped up - especially the comparison pics of the 3 parked next to a Bolt at a Whole Foods - suggest that the car might not really be as wide as what Tesla has posted on their own site. Looks far narrower than the S.

I'd like to believe that, but I think Tesla's numbers are right. Looking at the Bolt, I can easily believe the Model 3 is 6 or 7 inches wider, which is what Tesla says it is. They really should know how big their car is, hard to believe they are continuing to get it wrong.

I'd like to believe that, but I think Tesla's numbers are right. Looking at the Bolt, I can easily believe the Model 3 is 6 or 7 inches wider, which is what Tesla says it is. They really should know how big their car is, hard to believe they are continuing to get it wrong.
I think it may be confusion (at least in my mind) whether the stated width is with or without side mirrors and if with mirrors, folded or not folded.

I think it may be confusion (at least in my mind) whether the stated width is with or without side mirrors and if with mirrors, folded or not folded.

Tesla has cleared up most of this:

With mirrors extended - 82.2"
With mirrors folded - 76.1"

They don't say what the width would be if you removed the mirrors from the car, probably because nobody will remove the mirrors. My guess would be the same 76.1" with no mirrors.

Reactions: Norfolk Enchants
Tesla has cleared up most of this:

With mirrors extended - 82.2"
With mirrors folded - 76.1"

They don't say what the width would be if you removed the mirrors from the car, probably because nobody will remove the mirrors. My guess would be the same 76.1" with no mirrors.
This width thing has been confounding me. So today, I measured my 2012 Prius. In fact, the official width listed in the Prius manual, 68.7", is with NO mirrors! The other dimensions listed - hip room front and rear, shoulder room front and rear, and track - are all about 2" less than the Model 3. So I am going to speculate that the width of the Model 3 WITHOUT ANY MIRRORS is about ~ 71".

I measured my Prius with the mirrors extended and it was 79.8". So adding the same 2" to that figure would make the Model 3 close to 82" with the mirrors extended. So I think the 82.2" figure stated by Tesla is accurate. And that makes the 76.1" figure with mirrors folded equally believable. That means that the folded mirrors stick out about 2.5" to 3" on each side.

The takeaway for me is that the Model 3 is only slightly larger in width than my Prius. The Prius is hardly a large car but with plenty of interior room and I will be happy with the slightly larger size of a Model 3.

A couple of other things I discovered is the Model 3 has about .25" more ground clearance and it is 2" lower in overall height yet the Model 3 has about 1" more headroom front and rear. Finally the Prius has a 0.25 Cd while the TM3 has a 0.23 Cd.

This width thing has been confounding me. So today, I measured my 2012 Prius. In fact, the official width listed in the Prius manual, 68.7", is with NO mirrors! The other dimensions listed - hip room front and rear, shoulder room front and rear, and track - are all about 2" less than the Model 3. So I am going to speculate that the width of the Model 3 WITHOUT ANY MIRRORS is about ~ 71".

I measured my Prius with the mirrors extended and it was 79.8". So adding the same 2" to that figure would make the Model 3 close to 82" with the mirrors extended. So I think the 82.2" figure stated by Tesla is accurate. And that makes the 76.1" figure with mirrors folded equally believable. That means that the folded mirrors stick out about 2.5" to 3" on each side.

The takeaway for me is that the Model 3 is only slightly larger in width than my Prius. The Prius is hardly a large car but with plenty of interior room and I will be happy with the slightly larger size of a Model 3.

A couple of other things I discovered is the Model 3 has about .25" more ground clearance and it is 2" lower in overall height yet the Model 3 has about 1" more headroom front and rear. Finally the Prius has a 0.25 Cd while the TM3 has a 0.23 Cd.

Generally most quoted width measurements are without mirrors. However, your assumption that the Model 3 mirrors folded width is significantly (or at all) different than the widest part of the car (the wheel wells, and lower down than the mirrors) is almost certainly not true. Your Prius doesn't look like this (and even though this is the S, the Model 3 has the same general shape--who said style was practical):

img_1515-1-jpg.241248

Sure, it is easier to build a car that's similar to an existing model. But when you only sell 3 models, do you really want two of them to be kinda sorta similar in size? Of course there are still a number of differences between Models S and 3, including the fact that Model S is a foot longer. But I have to wonder whether greater differentiation would benefit sales volumes in the long run.

Look up the size difference between, say, the BMW 3 series and 5 series. A couple of inches can actually make a pretty big difference.

Hard to say, but price is a big differentiator. There are a ton of people who only aren't buying the S because it's too expensive.

Yeah, I'd bet if they cost the same, most would pick the S over the 3. Even a lot who live in crowded cities.

Generally most quoted width measurements are without mirrors. However, your assumption that the Model 3 mirrors folded width is significantly (or at all) different than the widest part of the car (the wheel wells, and lower down than the mirrors) is almost certainly not true. Your Prius doesn't look like this (and even though this is the S, the Model 3 has the same general shape--who said style was practical):
You may well be right, but it sounds like the interior width of the cabin is ~ Prius dimension.

My point is that I think Tesla quoted dimensions of 82.2" and 76.1" is accurate and the Model 3 is about 2.4" wider than a Gen 2 Prius.