Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Window Tints

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks amazing!
Which shades did you go for the back window, roof, back sides and front windows?
I am getting mine done next week with 3M at 25% for the back window, roof and back sides only but seeing yours, I am thinking if I should do the front windows too!
Cheers,
mines with the Llumar film 15% rear, which is supposedly close to other OEM, i think the front helps it blend.

Edit: yes got all round done, only ones that didn't get done were the front screen and front roof, got the full back roof/ window done in 1 piece.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclone1
I’m still struggling to find an installer in the North East. No one will touch the rear as “too wide and it’ll crack, seen on YouTube once” or “it’s already all tinted!” or “ohhhh it’s full of electrics. Don’t want water sloshing around there”.

Going to prove more of an issue when Model Y arrives with its huge glass roof

I’m still struggling to find an installer in the North East. No one will touch the rear as “too wide and it’ll crack, seen on YouTube once” or “it’s already all tinted!” or “ohhhh it’s full of electrics. Don’t want water sloshing around there”.

Going to prove more of an issue when Model Y arrives with its huge glass roof
Yes I think the YouTube vids have scared some installers away hence why I had mine by someone who has done many Model 3’s.

First challenge is that for a full single piece of film for the rear sunscreen, it means using a none standard size. This is one of the reasons some fit just the half screen in standard size film. Second challenge is access and ensuring that all electrics are safely and securely protected from water. It means removing various sections from the rear and roofline trims for access, this itself is time consuming and needs to be done properly without breaking anything, then reassembling. Same applies for the doors with regards to preventing water ingress into the door panel electrics. Finally, both the above turn a relatively quick install in a none EV, into one which takes more time and importantly care. Some installers may not want this hassle, others rightly charge more due to the time involved.

I’m sure in time more will take in the Model 3.

Yes I think the YouTube vids have scared some installers away hence why I had mine by someone who has done many Model 3’s.

First challenge is that for a full single piece of film for the rear sunscreen, it means using a none standard size. This is one of the reasons some fit just the half screen in standard size film. Second challenge is access and ensuring that all electrics are safely and securely protected from water. It means removing various sections from the rear and roofline trims for access, this itself is time consuming and needs to be done properly without breaking anything, then reassembling. Same applies for the doors with regards to preventing water ingress into the door panel electrics. Finally, both the above turn a relatively quick install in a none EV, into one which takes more time and importantly care. Some installers may not want this hassle, others rightly charge more due to the time involved.

I’m sure in time more will take in the Model 3.
I don’t doubt this in slightest, however to turn down business and not even take a look or attempt with extreme care....

Once they do one their mind will be at ease instead of banking on some FUD YouTube video.
Especially if this Model 3 UK boom continues...

Reactions: Cyclone1
I will be getting my rear windows tinted shortly once my wife takes delivery of her Mini SE. We got a discount for doing both!

My question is, who has contacted their insurance to let them know about the tints and if they have who are they insured with andwhat did they say? I am insured by Direct Line but have not contacted them yet.

Thanks.

Question;

does the rear window tint go from the bottom of the window to the horizontal bar that connects to the B-pillar? Or does it go further to the top of windshield?

also, how dark does this make the roof by applying more tint to the already partially-tinted roof?

Photos as requested
On looking closely, you can see difference between front and rear but not generally noticable day to day.

20200628_111845.jpg
20200628_111903.jpg
20200628_111945.jpg
20200628_112051.jpg
20200628_112124.jpg

Reactions: will_wonka
Hi all - I have my car going in tomorrow for tints - I'm really struggling to make a decision on whether to have front door windows tinted with light tint... Does anyone have a pic of their car with/without front tints?

I'm currently thinking not to tint as I know there are some legal challenges, but if it looks a lot cooler I will risk it! Pics appreciated in the next 12hrs?

Called my insurer, Direct Line to ask if getting my rear passenger windows only tinted on my M3 would affect my premium. They said it would add around 5% to my annual premium and £300 to the excess! Needless to say I will not be doing it. My wife called her insurance (admiral) to get tints added to her Mini S electric and they added the mod with no charge! Just for info if you think it will not affect your insurance, check!

Hi all - I have my car going in tomorrow for tints - I'm really struggling to make a decision on whether to have front door windows tinted with light tint... Does anyone have a pic of their car with/without front tints?

I'm currently thinking not to tint as I know there are some legal challenges, but if it looks a lot cooler I will risk it! Pics appreciated in the next 12hrs?
Several of my white SR+ with all round tints on this thread

M3 Window Tint Shades

Hi all - Just to say a HUGE Thank you - Picked up the car today from PP Protect (Richard is an absolute super-star... He also had 3x M3's there in the 48hrs period visited, so knows his stuff!). Huge thanks to @Cyclone1 also for the recommendation and support in making a decision.

Pic below - 18% rear window and Rear doors, 55% front windows. Ceramic wrap on body, wheels, callipers and glass, too - And driving back in the rain was an awesome experience!

PP Protect Window Tinting – PP Protect

Attachments

• IMG_6775.jpg
    IMG_6775.jpg
    698.2 KB · Views: 352