Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 winter rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have searched around about winter rims for my upcoming Model 3, but haven't found the answer to my question.

Can I get basic rims for winter use for my upcoming Model 3 (non-performance model)?

My plan was to get a basic set of steel rims and have a decent set of winter tires on to them. I would use the stock rims and tires in the summer, then my basic rims and good winter tires in the winter.

Sifting through the Model S forum, it seems that it is difficult to get cheap steel rims that size and weight rating which is why people still use alloys throughout the winter.

I'm hoping with the lower price point, smaller wheel size and lighter vehicle weight of the Model 3 that it will be possible to mount something cheap and effective on there. Having never bought a set of rims before (my only car to date came with a set of mounted winter tires), I'm fairly ignorant as to how to size them and get proper weight ratings. I know we're on conjecture at the moment as final specs haven't been released, but I'm just looking for a ballpark cost (Canadian dollars) and if steel is possible or if I'll have to go alloy. I'm assuming that the final base model won't be a staggered set-up.

For clarity, my goals here are:
  • Get something that is easy on the pocket book to mount good winter tires on.
  • I don't care about aesthetics.
  • I don't care about driving performance (so long as they are safe, reliable and pothole resistant).
  • I don't mind a minor range hit for the heavier rims.
Thanks for any input you can provide!

I have searched around about winter rims for my upcoming Model 3, but haven't found the answer to my question.

Can I get basic rims for winter use for my upcoming Model 3 (non-performance model)?

My plan was to get a basic set of steel rims and have a decent set of winter tires on to them. I would use the stock rims and tires in the summer, then my basic rims and good winter tires in the winter.

Sifting through the Model S forum, it seems that it is difficult to get cheap steel rims that size and weight rating which is why people still use alloys throughout the winter.

I'm hoping with the lower price point, smaller wheel size and lighter vehicle weight of the Model 3 that it will be possible to mount something cheap and effective on there. Having never bought a set of rims before (my only car to date came with a set of mounted winter tires), I'm fairly ignorant as to how to size them and get proper weight ratings. I know we're on conjecture at the moment as final specs haven't been released, but I'm just looking for a ballpark cost (Canadian dollars) and if steel is possible or if I'll have to go alloy. I'm assuming that the final base model won't be a staggered set-up.

For clarity, my goals here are:
  • Get something that is easy on the pocket book to mount good winter tires on.
  • I don't care about aesthetics.
  • I don't care about driving performance (so long as they are safe, reliable and pothole resistant).
  • I don't mind a minor range hit for the heavier rims.
Thanks for any input you can provide!
it will depend on the bolt pattern and disk brake clearance needed.

I will be getting standard (smaller) wheels because they are more curb impact resistant, gives a slightly better range, tyres are cheaper, produces less road noise. Don't see the benefit in sacrificing all that for a slight improvement in aesthetics and handling.

So true especially on our frost heaved Canadian roads! As far as better handling goes you don't see any race cars with big diameter rims and super low profile tires. For a given diameter the larger wheel/low profile tire weighs more and has more rotating mass than the smaller wheel/ higher profile tire. It increases unsprung weight and affects steeering input. All negative to handling.

Reactions: Red Sage and Jayc
I don't like being critical of another poster ... but, how can you ask this question, when the car has not yet been made, so no one can answer the question?

If you are in fact asking for opinions, then that is a different matter. Yes, IMO Tire Rack (amongst others) will almost certainly make available a cheap aftermarket wheel for use with winter tires.

Reactions: Falkirk
how can you ask this question, when the car has not yet been made, so no one can answer the question?

True. I'm somewhat of a car part ignoramus and am trying to get a ballpark of how much a set of rims will set me back. I know with my basic Honda Civic I can get a set of winter tires mounted on rims for < $1000 CAD. I get the impression that with the bigger wheel size, heavier vehicle weight and higher performance capability of the Model 3 it will be more expensive. But $2000? $3000? I really don't know.

Reactions: garsh and CSFTN
True. I'm somewhat of a car part ignoramus and am trying to get a ballpark of how much a set of rims will set me back. I know with my basic Honda Civic I can get a set of winter tires mounted on rims for < $1000 CAD. I get the impression that with the bigger wheel size, heavier vehicle weight and higher performance capability of the Model 3 it will be more expensive. But $2000? $3000? I really don't know.
Makes sense. In order to get a rough idea on cost, I would suggest going to tirerack.com or similar and look for a winter set compatible with a BMW 3 series, without the performance pack (in BMW world, the performance pack usually includes unusually large front brakes, which limits the wheels that are compatible. Since the Model 3 will not have a forward bias of weight during breaking compared to any ICE car, the front brakes can and will be smaller with at least as good performance).

That being said, I happen to be storing a pretty decent set for my F10 BMW in my attic ... ;)

Edit: don't look at the runflat tires. Only the traditional type. I think its a good likelihood that Tesla will continue to avoid RFs, as have almost all manufacturers other than BMW. Here's a good starting point: http://www.tirerack.com/snow/Winter...8i+Sedan&autoYear=2015&autoModClar=Base+Model

Last edited:
I haven't been able to find steel rims for any of my cars for a long time now. I have been able to buy inexpensive alloy rims, however.
With my Model S, I just bought the factory set of winter tires and rims with the car when it was new and I have been happy with them. (Starting the third winter on them)
I understand that you are anxious to get started on the project but since it's going to be at least a year before Model 3s are available, I think it's safe to wait. All will be explained in time.
Patience, grasshopper.

Reactions: Red Sage
I haven't been able to find steel rims for any of my cars for a long time now.

That's interesting @mspohr, thanks for the input. My (basic) understanding is the only downsides of steel wheels are that they are heavier, don't look as nice, and perhaps corrode a bit quicker, but that doesn't matter much in the lifetime of the wheels.

Is it that alloys are becoming cheaper now? Is it that EVs are that much heavier and therefore steel wheels have to be beefed up and make the steel wheels more expensive (i.e. in line with alloys anyway)? Is it that EVs are higher performance so benefit more from having a higher performance wheel? Or is it that all Teslas to date are luxury vehicles and as such their clientele tend to favour nicer-looking, higher performance rims and don't mind a price increase.

I'm curious on any insight on the above!

Alloys now being churned out in huge volumes in Chinese factories has killed the demand for steel rims.

Interesting insight. That explains why I was getting confused in my searches if my underlying assumptions were wrong.

Are there any concerns with safety, durability, reliability, with these rims flooding the market? I keep hearing things along the lines of "cracked my wheel on a pot hole because they're alloys" whereas a steel wheel would have just bent and could be bent back by a shop. Not sure if that is the exception or the rule though.

I don't get the confusion? When the car comes out just go to Tire Rack and buy a cheap set of rims (17's start around $90 each) and some great snow tires (Blizzak WS80 are $109 each).

The website will tell you the proper offset and width to fit the stock brakes

You should not run 19-21" rims in the winter. The M3 will probably come with 18 or 19" rims stock, so go an inch smaller.

I've speculated that the standard wheel and tire size will be 18x8 with 235/45-18. Here's that thread: Standard Wheel/Tire Size for Model 3

For winter, a minus one set might be 17x7.5 wheels with 225/55-17 tires. The Blizzak WS80's from Tire Rack are $522 per set.
A minus two set, possible if the calipers clear the rim, might be 16x7.5 wheels with 225/60-16 tires. The WS80's in this size are $426 per set.

Here's a good tool to compare wheel and tire specs: Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage
If it turns out a 17 inch wheel will clear the brakes, I'll get some downsized winter tires and wheels for the extra sidewall and cheaper tires and wheels (just like on my STI), otherwise those are startlingly reasonable prices...

I just dummied up an order on TireRack and with some closeout 18X8 5-114 alloys ($139) , xIce3 ($171), and TPMS ($44) I'm at $1417 plus another $153 in shipping, so around 1600 not installed, no aero benefits.

Looks like Tesla has released winter tires and rims for the 3.

Tesla releases Model 3 winter wheel and tire packages for $1,700 and $2,500

I was prepared to outraged by potential price gouging by Tesla on Model 3 rim and winter tire prices, but $1700 for the 18's isn't too bad. I had paid $1260 for 16" rims, Michelin Xi3's, and TPMS sensors for my Volt 3 years ago at a Discount Tire, and 18's directly from Telsa were always going to be more.

Model 3 18" Pinwheel and Winter Tire Package

It includes:
  • 4 x 18X8.5J PINWHEELS
  • 4 x 235/45/18 - PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO™ SERIE II
  • 4 x tire pressure sensors
  • 4 x Tesla logo Pinwheel caps
Model 3 19" Stiletto Wheel and Winter Tire Package

The 19's at $2500, on the other hand... that's pretty steep.

Both sizes use Pirelli tires.

(Hate the names "Pinwheel" and "Stiletto" BTW. LOL.)

• Informative
Reactions: Troy916
ICYMI, Tesla has already jacked up the prices of their Model 3 winter tire+wheel packages.

18's are up from $1700 to $2000. (+18%)
19's are up from $2500 to $3500. (+40%)

They unveiled not-too-high prices back in January when very few people actually had Model 3's for which they could buy winter tires, and then promptly jacked them up only 11 weeks later, right at the end of winter when pretty much no one would notice, and ensuring that very few people would pay the original prices.

Last edited by a moderator: