Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 without Ap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had it in my S, not going to get it initially on my 3.

I might regret it but looking to save some cash this go around until it has been truly honed to a more refined product.
Agree, I'm not spending money on something that I'd never be comfortable using. I also can't figure out why people are so sold on TACC. If you're on a highway and you end up behind some genius not using any type of CC and varying their speed +-5 mph, you don't need to adapt to their speed and contribute to the problems of people trying to use legitimate CC behind you. You need to pass them and maintain a consistent speed.

Reactions: Cely and 0ptions
I took delivery 19 Feb. and have had enough experience to know there are serious problems with the cruise control (CC) implemented in the absence of EAP. It's bad enough that one does not get TACC by default, but the present CC implementation is unacceptable.

First problem: CC is activated by pushing down the shift lever once. Speed adjustments are made by poking the +/- buttons on the screen just below the speedometer. That is ridiculous! One must be able to adjust speed without taking hands off the steering wheel, and that is how it's done on any other car I've owned, either by using buttons on the wheel or a stalk that can be reached without taking hands off the wheel. Tesla, this has to change. The speed adjustment could be made by the right hand thumbwheel when in CC.

Second problem: CC can only be deactivated (as far as I can figure out) by tapping the brakes. That's of course essential, but there should also be a cancel switch accessible without taking hands off the steering wheel. This could be done by pushing the right thumbwheel, or by again pushing the shift lever down, toggling CC on and off just the way that two pushes toggle EAP when present.

I would not quite accuse Tesla of trying to force buyers to pay for EAP whether they want it or not. However, they could not have done a better job of creating that impression with the bungled implementation of CC that they have foisted off on we who do not pay for EAP. This implementation is so bad that it is a threat to highway safety (forcing drivers to take hands off the wheel to operate it), and it should perhaps be reported as such to the NHTSA. However, let's hope that Tesla will correct this in a soon-to-be released software update, which could easily do far better with the tools available, as noted above.

Reactions: Catman20009
I took delivery 19 Feb. and have had enough experience to know there are serious problems with the cruise control (CC) implemented in the absence of EAP. It's bad enough that one does not get TACC by default, but the present CC implementation is unacceptable.

First problem: CC is activated by pushing down the shift lever once. Speed adjustments are made by poking the +/- buttons on the screen just below the speedometer. That is ridiculous! One must be able to adjust speed without taking hands off the steering wheel, and that is how it's done on any other car I've owned, either by using buttons on the wheel or a stalk that can be reached without taking hands off the wheel. Tesla, this has to change. The speed adjustment could be made by the right hand thumbwheel when in CC.

Second problem: CC can only be deactivated (as far as I can figure out) by tapping the brakes. That's of course essential, but there should also be a cancel switch accessible without taking hands off the steering wheel. This could be done by pushing the right thumbwheel, or by again pushing the shift lever down, toggling CC on and off just the way that two pushes toggle EAP when present.

I would not quite accuse Tesla of trying to force buyers to pay for EAP whether they want it or not. However, they could not have done a better job of creating that impression with the bungled implementation of CC that they have foisted off on we who do not pay for EAP. This implementation is so bad that it is a threat to highway safety (forcing drivers to take hands off the wheel to operate it), and it should perhaps be reported as such to the NHTSA. However, let's hope that Tesla will correct this in a soon-to-be released software update, which could easily do far better with the tools available, as noted above.

For cancelling CC you tap up on the shift lever. And although I sort of agree with your main point, I do object to the phrase “take hands off wheel” since you only take a single hand off of the wheel. I think the threat to highway safety is overblown as well, unless you ban all center console controls. In many cars I’ve just cancelled cruise control, changed speed and then re-engaged it to adjust my speed.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Agree, I'm not spending money on something that I'd never be comfortable using. I also can't figure out why people are so sold on TACC. If you're on a highway and you end up behind some genius not using any type of CC and varying their speed +-5 mph, you don't need to adapt to their speed and contribute to the problems of people trying to use legitimate CC behind you. You need to pass them and maintain a consistent speed.

Pulling up behind a slow car is one of the things I have to pay attention to with TACC. With normal CC I have to change lanes and pass the car fairly early to avoid having to turn off CC, passing the slower car, and re-enabling CC. It forces you to do one or the other. I'm constantly fiddling with the CC.

With TACC it just slows down and you can change lanes whenever you want. Nice if the traffic is heavy enough to make changing lanes a chore. Especially stop and go traffic that is not maintaining a constant speed. No need to constantly disengage/engage or adjust speed, or change lanes before getting too close to a slower car. Much less fussy, and you can still drive like it's a normal CC. But, if you want to stay at your maximum speed you've got to watch the speedometer.

When I imagined driving the 3 without ACC i changed my mind back to buying it. So glad I did. It's well worth the money if it's in your budget IMO. With my last minute change of heart, Tesla did me a big favor by allowing me to add it on delivery day. Saved 1k.

Agree and wrote T about this exact thing. Tapping the parking brake button disengages. Manual says moving the lever up should do it but wound up in neutral

You mean you pressed the button on the shift lever to put the "gear" into PARK while driving at FWY speeds? I always wondered what would happen if someone did this.

EAP is a huge part of why I want a Tesla. It is a huge relief from the stress of bumper to bummper traffic. Without EAP/TACC, I would just get a Bolt.

Update: I finally read the manual and it does in fact state that either TACC or EAP are disengaged by "lifting the shift lever slightly". In Model S loaners I've driven with EAP, I'd come to expect a toggle action, where the same action both activates and cancels. I must say that moving the shift lever upward is one of the most counterintuitive things I can imagine. I'm not inclined to make a move that normally would shift into neutral. Someone else suggested tapping the Park button, which may be even more counterintuitive. I tried it and it does cancel but not without a warning message and alert sound.

Still, the worst part in my view is having to look at the screen and poke it in one of two small spots to adjust speed. That certainly does not facilitate allowing the driver to emulate TACC behavior when encountering a slower moving car.

I guess we'll have to continue hoping that this gets cleaned up in future software releases.

Reactions: Catman20009
Update: I finally read the manual and it does in fact state that either TACC or EAP are disengaged by "lifting the shift lever slightly". In Model S loaners I've driven with EAP, I'd come to expect a toggle action, where the same action both activates and cancels. I must say that moving the shift lever upward is one of the most counterintuitive things I can imagine. I'm not inclined to make a move that normally would shift into neutral. Someone else suggested tapping the Park button, which may be even more counterintuitive. I tried it and it does cancel but not without a warning message and alert sound.

Still, the worst part in my view is having to look at the screen and poke it in one of two small spots to adjust speed. That certainly does not facilitate allowing the driver to emulate TACC behavior when encountering a slower moving car.

I guess we'll have to continue hoping that this gets cleaned up in future software releases.

I don't mind tapping on the center screen, but it does seem like they could make the targets larger. There seems to be enough screen room (and having the option for a scroll wheel control would be good as well).

Reactions: ThosEM