Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 without EAP and Phantom Brake...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MusQueTear

Aug 15, 2017
NL
Do M3 owners without EAP also experience phantom braking ? Eg. when entering a tunnel or passing a bridge ?

upload_2018-10-6_11-37-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-6_11-36-36.png
    upload_2018-10-6_11-36-36.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 55
I have EAP on my 3, but wanted to point out that the issue you describe is related to the AEB (Automatic Emergency Braking) feature that is standard on every Tesla, it is not part of EAP.

My apologies if you already knew that. :rolleyes:

Aaah, thx, did not realise that it is not related at all to EAP.
BTW did you experience any phantom braking sofar in your M3 ? o_O
Overhere in the Netherlands quite some people experience phantom braking in their Model S/X. M3 not yet available in Europe.
During our holiday in the Usa ( sept, 2018 ) we drove via Turo a M3, luckily no phantom braking but that was only one day!
Nobody likes phantom braking of course...

I don’t have EAP. No phantom braking in over 5000 miles with one caveat. I did get a free two week EAP trial. I did have phantom braking only when TACC or Autopilot was in use.

Aaah! Thx. :)

In the dutch and belgium part of this forum, almost all *) phantom brake posts seemed to be in the Autopilot thread ( Autopilot ). That was the reason I automatically created this thread titled ...Model 3 without EAP and Phantom Brake...
Because of all the problems with EAP ( Beta, not finished etc etc ) we already skipped EAP for our future Model 3 !

@AltLogic and @ecarfan thx for your answers.

PS *)
Recently a specifc Phantom Brake thread was created in the TMC benelux forum

The phantom braking that people are describing is part of EAP.

This doesn't mean that false braking event can't occur with AEB, but just that they are way more rare.

I have a Model 3, and I have zero concerns about phantom braking on AEB. I do have concerns about phantom braking with TACC/AP, and that has impacted my usage of those features. I use TACC way less in my Model 3 than I did in my AP1 Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: MusQueTear
Do M3 owners without EAP also experience phantom braking ? Eg. when entering a tunnel or passing a bridge ?

View attachment 341357

Yes there is a particular freeway interchange ramp near my house that doglegs to the left gradually as it goes under a tunnel, and the car will *always* suddenly brake hard at exactly the same spot whenever I go through there with EAP enabled.

I have to question the assertion of others in this thread that it isn’t related to EAP. As I said, the car only does this when EAP is enabled as I drive through there. The car doesn’t auto emergency brake if I’m the one driving.

• Informative
Yes there is a particular freeway interchange ramp near my house that doglegs to the left gradually as it goes under a tunnel, and the car will *always* suddenly brake hard at exactly the same spot whenever I go through there with EAP enabled.

I have to question the assertion of others in this thread that it isn’t related to EAP. As I said, the car only does this when EAP is enabled as I drive through there. The car doesn’t auto emergency brake if I’m the one driving.

Did you happen to report this to Tesla via the “bug report” voice command? I imagine it could be helpful to them.

I absolutely hate this bug. A few times a month I take a ~560 mile round trip and depending on how much I use EAP I may experience phantom braking 1x-2x. FWIW, that’s 1x-2x too many. It is scary as heck at 79 MPH.

I encourage everyone to report it when it happens. Push the right wheel to enable voice command and say “bug report phantom braking....” and describe the situation. You should get a Thank You message. My only hope is enough of us do this and Tesla fixes things. It has happened to me in so many seemingly disparate situations that I can’t quite figure out when to “expect” it so depress the go pedal.

Yes, I get that this is beta but so far this has happened only when I did not have a northeastern tailgater in me.

• Informative
Did you happen to report this to Tesla via the “bug report” voice command? I imagine it could be helpful to them.

I absolutely hate this bug. A few times a month I take a ~560 mile round trip and depending on how much I use EAP I may experience phantom braking 1x-2x. FWIW, that’s 1x-2x too many. It is scary as heck at 79 MPH.

I encourage everyone to report it when it happens. Push the right wheel to enable voice command and say “bug report phantom braking....” and describe the situation. You should get a Thank You message. My only hope is enough of us do this and Tesla fixes things. It has happened to me in so many seemingly disparate situations that I can’t quite figure out when to “expect” it so depress the go pedal.

Yes, I get that this is beta but so far this has happened only when I did not have a northeastern tailgater in me.
I would report, but right now my microphone doesn't work, so I can't report it. GRRRR.