Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone heard of a Tesla being rear ended because of phantom braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5w0z0v.jpg

easy fix

Interesting Car & Driver article from JUNE 2022, over a year ago:

NHTSA Wants Tesla to Hand Over More Information about Phantom Braking​

• NHTSA opened up an investigation into potential "phantom braking" problems with Tesla Model 3 and Model Y EVs in February because it has heard complaints from 350 drivers about the issue.
  • In May, NHTSA told Tesla it has now heard from over 750 people about problems with its automated emergency braking system, so it wants detailed information from the automaker.
  • Tesla has until June 20 to respond to NHTSA's request or face fines for not responding.
I don't recall any follow-up on this other than "the NHTSA is investigating". . It seems this is much more concerning from a safety perspective than the things (and much more recent defects) recently brought to Tesla's attention earlier this year. That doesn't seem right. I'm not sure the NHTSA has to determine PB cause, just identify it as a defect (which seems pretty clear) and get Tesla to address it.

Something doesn't feel right here.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I agree - saw the exact same thing.

Thing is - once I started using FSDb instead of NavOnA, I noticed in almost every area I've driven phantom braking went away. So I'm curious if the next time I drive down there, if it will be gone.
I recently drove OKC to Santa Fe, mostly on I-40 using FSDb 11.3.6. No phantom braking over hundreds of miles that previously gave me fits on NOA. I'll be driving back later this week to try this route again in reverse, so fingers crossed.. But, if this last drive is any indication, Tesla has made great strides against PB. They really need to fold these into the basic AP software.

PE 19-010 for an open Nissan Investigation...Initial 129 complaints, 3 crashes, 3 injuries, Total with manufacturer reports 843 complaints, 14 crashes, 5 injuries.

Point is, it's not just Tesla like some people want to imply....and investigations are in process. Lots of documentation on the Nissan one but I haven't gone through it all to see if there are any reasons identified for it for them.

Reactions: zoomer0056
to be fair... over 1.7m estimated vehicles in the US... and it's only impacting 2 models and only 2-3 model years....

"to be fair", at least there are not crashes/injuries for the Tesla's...I mean if you want to start trying to draw crazy conclusions based on the EXTREMELY limited information in these NHTSA documents. The numbers in those specific documents are basically meaningless.

The only real thing to say and the point of me mentioning anything about other manufacturers is that multiple manufacturers have people complaining about unintended braking events, and NHTSA has open investigations concerning them.

In the case of Nissan's that I just found, NHTSA has been investigating since 2019 and it is still an open investigation.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Literally never.
That is how the English language works. The word phantom means not real. So if later you discover or realize there was a valid and good reason for the braking - by definition, it wasn't phantom. I had one of those with a deer the first week I owned the car. I couldn't see why the car stopped and thought it was a phantom braking event, until the deer stepped out of the weeds, walked up the center of the road to the car, looked into the headlights awhile, then turned around and walked down the road. The car followed it carefully about 50 feet behind until it turned off the road, then the car resumed its former speed. I was really impressed.

Then there are all those braking events for things that are real, but not dangerous, like highway heat mirages, shadows, skid marks, etc., which are very real things, but should not have caused braking. These are the ones that a lot of people complain about and are a tad unsafe, but truthfully, rear end collisions are almost always the fault of the follower, following too closely and / or not paying attention; and these should not be called phantom because there was a real cause that was misunderstood and the car incorrectly responded inappropriately.

Road rage being what it is, phantom braking being mistaken for brake checking by a driver, is probably a larger problem than the phantom braking itself. And true or perceived phantom braking makes the driver and passengers believe the car is incompetent and dangerous. Which is surely a problem for Tesla, but should be way down the list of things to worry about.

Suddenly taking the wrong exit, diving over three lanes for the most right hand lane, so it can then wrongly whip a left turn into an oncoming one way road, slamming on the brakes and sliding to a dead halt across a traffic lane on a high speed highway, carefully stopping for a dozen red lights, then blazing through one at 70 mph etc., come to mind.

Then there are all those braking events for things that are real, but not dangerous, like highway heat mirages, shadows, skid marks, etc., which are very real things, but should not have caused braking. These are the ones that a lot of people complain about and are a tad unsafe, but truthfully, rear end collisions are almost always the fault of the follower, following too closely and / or not paying attention; and these should not be called phantom because there was a real cause that was misunderstood and the car incorrectly responded inappropriately.

a "tad unsafe". yeah. Going from ~80 mph to under 50 mph within seconds on a wide open road in the Texas panhandle isn't going to trigger road rage by the cars following you and is only "a tad unsafe". If you slam on the brakes for no reason - or your car does it ... you are partially at fault as well.

You are totally at fault, but only for braking wildly, if people are following too close to handle that situation, or a brake check situation, THEY are at fault. I have never had a situation where Tesla AP freaked out about the car in front brake checking it, just gracefully slows in time to not hit the car in front.