Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone heard of a Tesla being rear ended because of phantom braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been a problem for >6 years. They obviously can't fix it, at lest with the current approaches or they would have already.
At least now I have identified a stretch of road that reliably proves phantom braking. Tesla team can come here and test it out.

IMG_7061.jpeg

Assuming you mean NM and TX:
Yup. 2 lanes each direction. Well separated by a large stretch of grass / ditch in between. Road is perfectly straight, speed limit in Texas is 75mph, very few villages with lower speed limit in between… MAJOR highway and direct travel route from North Texas to Colorado…. Yet autopilot can’t handle it. Cruise control can’t handle it. I drove that route in my 2019 Model 3 in the summer of 2020, 2021, 2022 (May) and just last week… ZERO issues in 2020, 2021 and 2022 … unbearable this year on “vision only”

Yup. 2 lanes each direction. Well separated by a large stretch of grass / ditch in between. Road is perfectly straight, speed limit in Texas is 75mph, very few villages with lower speed limit in between… MAJOR highway and direct travel route from North Texas to Colorado…. Yet autopilot can’t handle it. Cruise control can’t handle it. I drove that route in my 2019 Model 3 in the summer of 2020, 2021, 2022 (May) and just last week… ZERO issues in 2020, 2021 and 2022 … unbearable this year on “vision only”
What are the issues?

At least now I have identified a stretch of road that reliably proves phantom braking. Tesla team can come here and test it out.

View attachment 954487

I agree - saw the exact same thing.

Thing is - once I started using FSDb instead of NavOnA, I noticed in almost every area I've driven phantom braking went away. So I'm curious if the next time I drive down there, if it will be gone.

Some observations
1. PB has been atrocious for me, particularly on interstate 10 in West Texas towards El Paso. Have had problems elsewhere, typically in very remote areas. I wonder if it has something to do with losing cell signal? Reports of PB seem to be all in remote areas with spotty cell coverage (e.g., west texas, Nevada, TX panhandle etc). Also, I remember someone in another thread stating that they were able to create a PB event by turning off their cell (don't remember the specifics or how this is done). I subscribed to fsdb 11.3.6 and had same issues. Barely used FSDb after the first few PB events. Hadn't used TACC, AP, or FSDb in a while b/c PB issues make it aggravating. Interstate miles really suck without TACC and AP

2. Had just upgraded from 2023.12.10 to 2023.20.7. Recent trip from South Texas to Houston and back, zero PBs. One very minor 2mph slow down for no reason but didn't even faze me like PB events do. I wonder whether others on 2023.20.7 or greater are also seeing fewer PBs, particularly in areas known to be problematic? I have upcoming trip to El Paso from South TX in a few weeks, so will give it another try when I go.

Some observations
1. PB has been atrocious for me, particularly on interstate 10 in West Texas towards El Paso. Have had problems elsewhere, typically in very remote areas. I wonder if it has something to do with losing cell signal? Reports of PB seem to be all in remote areas with spotty cell coverage (e.g., west texas, Nevada, TX panhandle etc). Also, I remember someone in another thread stating that they were able to create a PB event by turning off their cell (don't remember the specifics or how this is done). I subscribed to fsdb 11.3.6 and had same issues. Barely used FSDb after the first few PB events. Hadn't used TACC, AP, or FSDb in a while b/c PB issues make it aggravating. Interstate miles really suck without TACC and AP

2. Had just upgraded from 2023.12.10 to 2023.20.7. Recent trip from South Texas to Houston and back, zero PBs. One very minor 2mph slow down for no reason but didn't even faze me like PB events do. I wonder whether others on 2023.20.7 or greater are also seeing fewer PBs, particularly in areas known to be problematic? I have upcoming trip to El Paso from South TX in a few weeks, so will give it another try when I go.
Do you drive with FSDb in Chill, Normal or Assertive?