Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 without garage at home/work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a plug outside next to the garage door of my neighbor (unit above me). I could certainly put a 14-50 outlet there and run the cable to the street. It's only about 35 feet. But I don't like the idea to have a cable lying on the sidewalk for too long. It will look messy and I'm sure some neighbors will complain :)

A Supercharger in San Francisco will be fantastic, but hopefully not too far away from Noe Valley :p

Highly recommend you don't run an electrical cable across a sidewalk. That is just asking for trouble, liability and city ordinance. An alternative is pay someone to pipe it under the sidewalk.

ELON MUSK:

We’re putting Superchargers in cities, not just between cities. And this is obviously important in places like, you know, Beijing, Shanghai, London, San Francisco, New York, where at times people may have a challenge with having a fixed parking space. It’s more like some of those people don’t have a definitive parking space. And they might have street parking or something, you know. London is particularly tricky one; where there’s – it’s got lot of high-end neighborhoods just have street parking.

Tesla Earnings Call Transcript Q1 2014 – Complete Conference Call - Insider Monkey

Sounds similar to the OP's problem.

• Disagree
Reactions: sports4eva115
Hi!

I've been considering buying a Tesla for a while and it seems the Model 3 will be the perfect car for my need. Hence I put a deposit for the Model 3 the day the car was presented. The Model 3 will replace my 2014 BMW M235i.

Now comes the charging question. I live in San Francisco (Noe Valley) and don't have any garage. I park my car in the street and can usually find a spot right in front of my apartment. (I rent a unit on the first floor of a townhouse)

I mostly use the car once or twice a week, mostly during weekends and drive about 8500 miles per year. Hence I figured out I would need to plug the car only maybe once a week. If possible I would like to avoid the public charging stations because I don't have one close to home and I guess they are also more expensive to use.

What would be my best options to charge the car at home?
Have you thought about finding somewhere else to live, as in a place with off street parking?

It does not have to be a garage, (outdoor charging is fine) just someplace that you can count on being off street and for your car.