Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 (without sub) post you EQ settings :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This my setting. It's work good enough for me

Attachments

• sound.jpg
    sound.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 423
This my setting. It's work good enough for me

the issue with this EQ setting is that your are using an EQ for something its not meant to do. You introduce phasing artifacts and smearing. And if you boost every frequeny why dont you just remove 2 db off every single one and then the ratio is the same at least (if you are keen on the smilie curve). Or why dont you just leave bass and highend at 0 and then subtract the mids. That EQ will make the system sound like *****.

You are also going to trigger the multiband limiter and clipper...

honestly, if you dont know its probably best to leave it flat and adjust the lowest frequency according to bass taste (if you go above 4db then the 2nd slider from the left may also benefit being set to 1 or 1.5db for a more consistent bassboost). And if you are bit older (>40) maybe the highest one to +1 or +2db or if you like more sizzeling highend. To get a more neutral sound the 2nd from the right could be set to +1 or +1.5db as there is a bit of a scoop in the Model 3 - however that also causes more ear fatigue while driving so id just leave it at 0, especially if you like to listen to loud music.

Reactions: nurusz
I'm not trying to be snarky but I like to move the sliders to where they make the music sound good to me.

unfortunately the human brain isnt well designed to make a choice when there are like 100 reasonable options. Anything above 5 is getting hard. with the EQ you technically have like 100+ adjustments and thats too much for ppl to just say "that sounds better".

Unfortunately turning up the EQ also turns up the volume by nature so you might initially percieve for it to sound better. Thats a real problem in audio engineering actually. Hence most people use EQ to cut or carefully adjust the output of compressors etc so the brain isnt fooled into something sounding better by it being louder.

That's surprising that he's a musician as those settings are terrible for reasons explained in post #5. You would expect a musician to gravitate to unaltered music rather than heavily modified and noisy as he set it up. In most cases you are better off cutting problem frequencies rather than boosting them.

Multiband eqs have always been highly questionable for cars as the listening enviornment is the same for every driver unlike with speakers in a home setup where you may want to adjust certain frequencies slightly. And then that should be either like a 30 to 40 band eq or a parametric one. There really should just be two shelffilters to adjust bass and highend to taste and nothing much else.

If "fooling" my brain is what it takes to have a more enjoyable listening experience I'm cool with that.

Thats not how it works. Why not just turn up the volume with a flat eq and then have an even better listening experience? you are selling yourself garbage - there is no way a big overboosted smiley EQ sounds where you even boost the mids sounds good to anyone. You are raising the volume of the track and then fool yourself into thinking it sounds better. This isnt simply a volume rise too. If you lets say set every slider to +8 db you dont just raise the overall volume of the track you introduce lots of phasing artifacts.

Equally cutting the whole track by setting all EQ sliders to -8db and then turning up the volume more to compensate will also introduce phasing and EQ artifacts. The reason that would be perhaps preferable is that you also reduce the phasing artifacts by the same volume too.

Heres the thing - if what you do would sound so amazing any mix engineer would just apply your EQ setting to every multitrack and then mix that down. But they dont. Because it doesnt sound good.

I might add here that Tesla uses a multiband compressor/clipper so itll clamp down on your EQ settings at higher volume anyway and push them back down to avoid distortion - and introduce even more artifacts. That is perhaps acceptable on overboosted subbass/bass but with the mids/highend you can hear it coz it sounds a bit mushy.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I Iike what I like.

Does your opinion change when you learn the listener has cookie bite or high frequency hearing loss? Surely you have to understand that not everyone hears sounds the same way as you do, especially those over 50 years old.

the issue with this EQ setting is that your are using an EQ for something its not meant to do. You introduce phasing artifacts and smearing. And if you boost every frequeny why dont you just remove 2 db off every single one and then the ratio is the same at least (if you are keen on the smilie curve). Or why dont you just leave bass and highend at 0 and then subtract the mids. That EQ will make the system sound like *****.

You are also going to trigger the multiband limiter and clipper...
This. Very much this.

I have yet to hear where adjusting an EQ to a V pattern didn't make the system sound worse. And even in the SR (e.g. "Semi-Premium"), the system is decent and requires very little EQ. Boosting the bottom and top bands to their maximums creates false sound and almost always sounds like crap.

If you want to want better sound in your car, you'll need to spend money: no amount of EQ will make up for anything that is lacking.

But for those who insist on playing, here is an exercise I encourage you to try. It is the same process I use when setting up a live sound system.
  1. Pick a good quality track that has a full range of sounds. My go-to track for this is Blues Traveler's 'Runaround.' It has a full spectrum of sound without a lot of noise - you can focus on each aspect as you go through. DON'T pick a track that NEEDS help: you need to start with something balanced (it doesn't even have to be a song you like - the balance is the important part).
  2. One slider at a time (starting at the low end), quickly move the slider up and down between min and max, making 2 or 3 (or more) repetitions. This will get your ears accustomed to the range you are focusing on. Then move the slider to where that frequency range sounds the best. Don't be surprised if something ends up in the negative range. And hopefully it is no more than +/- 2 dB for any band.
  3. Go to the next slider and repeat step 2. Repeat for all ranges, one slider at a time.
I don't remember where I had my stock SR system set, but it was definitely not a V pattern and nothing was more than +/- 2 dB. (I had a high-end aftermarket system installed that blows away even the Premium system, but that is a separate conversation. And the only current adjustment is a +0.5 dB on the mid-bass).