Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3Key Fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So have you really not seen the messages from dozens of people right here on this forum saying the phone doesn't work well for them? And that the key cards are cumbersome and of limited functionality?

I have seen the messages but I don’t get why people are having so many problems. I guess if the keycard was the only option then it would be annoying to not be able to open the trunk or frunk.

Do people who can’t get their phones to work as a key also have trouble using the app? If they have trouble with both then I get the issue.

I have not had any problems with my phone as key but I cannot stand the way the car takes over phone audio and starts podcasts playing in the background just by walking into the garage so I will be happy to turn off the phone app feature and carry a fob to keep this from happening.

Reactions: Lunarx and tvisdog
I have not had any problems with my phone as key but I cannot stand the way the car takes over phone audio and starts podcasts playing in the background just by walking into the garage so I will be happy to turn off the phone app feature and carry a fob to keep this from happening.

Maybe they'll fix this so that it doesn't auto-connect to the phone until it senses someone in the driver's seat with the door closed. That would make a lot more sense.

The other advantage is when you want to park your car and leave your phone in the car and go for a run. The fob fits easily in my running shorts pocket and I'll never carry my phone while running. Plus, it's going to work 100% of the time when I walk up to the car, just like it always has in my S. I think the phone is great most of the time, except for the situation I described above.

• Informative
Reactions: Sg911 and kavyboy
The other advantage is when you want to park your car and leave your phone in the car and go for a run. The fob fits easily in my running shorts pocket and I'll never carry my phone while running. Plus, it's going to work 100% of the time when I walk up to the car, just like it always has in my S. I think the phone is great most of the time, except for the situation I described above.

Does the key card not fit in your pocket? Seems smaller and is much lighter as well. The key fobs are heavy in the pocket when trying to run.

People who discount the utility of the FOB because the phone works "100% of the time" for them are infuriating! They say, "the key card is perfect"....no it's not! The key card doesn't offer unlock on approach or the ability to drive without tapping the card. The key card also doesn't lock the car when you walk away. Then they say "but what bout the app"...what about it? I'm not going to use the app to unlock my car every single time I need to drive.

Here's the real life way Model 3 works for those of us who have problems.

1. "Hmmm, I wonder if my phone key will work today.
  2. Approaches car and reaches for handle
  3. Pulls handle...nothing
  4. Waits 20 seconds with handle pulled to see how long it will take this time
  5. Waits another 10 seconds with handle pulled
  6. Gives up and taps key card to column
  7. Gets in car...
  8. "Hmmmm, I wonder if my phone key will allow me to start the car"
  9. Steps on brake pedal
  10. "Darn, didn't start, let me use the card again"
  11. "Okay, I'm done driving, I wonder if my car will lock when I walk away since my I used the key card to unlock and drive?
  12. ....I have no idea, better use the key card to be safe
Alternate reality that happens 5% of the time
  1. Approach, car. Pull handle.
  2. "It worked...wow, this is great!"
  3. Steps on brake pedal.
  4. "It started...this is magic"
....mind you, this second way only ever happens for me if I have my phone unlocked with the Tesla app opened on the screen...not practical!!!!

I'll admit, if I just gave up on the phone key and used only the card at least I'd know what user experience to expect...but it would be worse than my 10 year old car's remote FOB that had a 100 meter range.

The FOB should produce the second user experience since the phone key and key card are both eliminated.

I have no issue with people wanting the fob and completely understand for people wanting one as long as they don't get rid of the key card.

The phone works great for me. The only key I have is the bathroom key for work that I leave on a hook in my office - I don't want to carry around a fob. If it is free (or reasonably priced), I would still get the fob for when other people need the car but don't want the fob as the primary key.