Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2013 came with just one remote fob, what are my options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not know of generic key fobs for any car, but if they are sold to fit your year Tesla, they should work. You must have dealer program all keys at the same time when you get the new one programmed, else your old key will stop working. Ebay "new" keys will be listed if they are used or new. If I were getting an added key, I would buy the part from Tesla. You are going to have to get them involved in any case.

Here's my suggestion (I have experience - :) ). Buy a Model S key fob on eBay and try to get one that is close to new or new. Bear in mind that is has to be the "older" type for your car, not the newer fobs for the refreshed Model S. Make sure it has a new battery (or purchase a new battery for it and install it).

When you have a service issue in the future where a tech is coming to your house (12v battery, etc.) ask them if they can program an extra key fob that you have. They'll need the original fob and will do it with their laptop while it is plugged into your car. If you are nice about it, the tech will do it for no charge.

If you book a separate service just to program the key fob, it will be something like $250...

Reactions: DerbyDave
Being new to Tesla, why wouldn't I just go to a service center. Wouldn't it cost big money to have someone come out for this? I just called service and was told $30-$60 to program a fob.
I was trying to provide you with a low cost solution, but if you want maximum convenience, buy a new fob from Tesla and take it to the service center and have them program it for you there. That'll get the job done as well...

I was trying to provide you with a low cost solution, but if you want maximum convenience, buy a new fob from Tesla and take it to the service center and have them program it for you there. That'll get the job done as well...
I was replying to RandyS. Yes, I'm looking for the cheapest way. And I never heard of a dealer tech come out to your house for service. That must cost a fortune.

I was replying to RandyS. Yes, I'm looking for the cheapest way. And I never heard of a dealer tech come out to your house for service. That must cost a fortune.
Tesla has service centers and they have mobile techs that they send out as well. Same hourly cost for each. You book service through your app and they determine if it can be done at your place or whether you have to bring it into their service center.

My relevant experience with fob programming is that they quoted me $250 to program a new Model X fob when I set up a service ticket just for that. I canceled the appt since it wasn't worth it to me for that much money, and just asked the tech to do it later when they came to the house for another small issue. He did it in a few minutes at no charge. You can try it that way, or book an appointment through the app like I did earlier and see what they quote. For me, it was $250. Maybe it'll be less for you...