Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3P FSD - wall connector and local electrician (King of Prussia, PA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All, I am anxiously waiting to pick up my first M3P FSD Tesla @ devon PA in 10 days. I have been trying to get the black wall connector with no luck (it is perpetually sold out). And I have a hard time finding an electrician who can do the wiring in the Downingtown area in Pennsylvania. I appreciate any recommendations for the local electricians and how to get my hand on a black tesla wall connector. Thank you all.

You will likely find it easier and less costly to just get a NEMA 14-50 plug installed in your garage. All electricians will know how to do this and you don't even need to tell them it is for a Tesla. It is basically a dryer plug. They will charge more as soon as they hear Tesla.

Then buy the NEMA 14-50 adaptor for the mobile charger that comes with the car or many other changers can plug directly into the NEMA 14-50 outlet.

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Downside is the wall connector will do 48 amps Versus 40 amps for anything using the NEMA 14-50 Plug. If you use a 3rd party charger you will need to use the adaptor for the car and you will not have the button on the charger handle to open the car charger port.

I have this one and enjoy that it has WIFI connectivity to collect charging stats and adjust the charging speed if you are trying to keep the charging going at a slow pace during winter to keep the battery warm.

https://www.amazon.com/JuiceBox-Ele...9R4KO&linkId=84a527ee2b6c72af9bf7ab77be315307

The NEMA 14-50 plug is probably the most flexible solution and will allow you to pick whatever charger you want in the future.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TorukMakto
You will likely find it easier and less costly to just get a NEMA 14-50 plug installed in your garage. All electricians will know how to do this and you don't even need to tell them it is for a Tesla. It is basically a dryer plug. They will charge more as soon as they hear Tesla.

Then buy the NEMA 14-50 adaptor for the mobile charger that comes with the car or many other changers can plug directly into the NEMA 14-50 outlet.

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Downside is the wall connector will do 48 amps Versus 40 amps for anything using the NEMA 14-50 Plug. If you use a 3rd party charger you will need to use the adaptor for the car and you will not have the button on the charger handle to open the car charger port.

I have this one and enjoy that it has WIFI connectivity to collect charging stats and adjust the charging speed if you are trying to keep the charging going at a slow pace during winter to keep the battery warm.

https://www.amazon.com/JuiceBox-Ele...9R4KO&linkId=84a527ee2b6c72af9bf7ab77be315307

The NEMA 14-50 plug is probably the most flexible solution and will allow you to pick whatever charger you want in the future.
thank you!

thank you!

Let me know how you make out. A few other comments.

-The electrician may ask the current draw of the car for the NEMA 14-50 plug. Tell him 40 amps. He should install a 50 amp breaker with the correct wire size.

-The charger adaptor I was referring to is a J1772 to Tesla adaptor that will come with the car. If you buy a third party charger you can use this adaptor to plug into your tesla.

SAE J1772 Charging Adapter

-The Mobile Charger that comes with the car is limited to 32 amps. Unless you are commuting 200+ miles every day it should be sufficient. Charges at about 30 miles in one hour.

Reactions: TorukMakto