Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 19" Slipstream Wheels on Model 3 (with adapter)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdx_m3s

May 18, 2019
Portland, OR
Before I get the "Model S wheels are 5x120, not 5x114.3"... Yes, I know. Here me out.

19" Slipstream specs: 19x8 +40
19" Model 3 specs: 19x8.5 +40

In theory, with an off-the-shelf 5x114.3 to 5x120 adapter (25mm thick), you could use Slipstreams on a Model 3. The result would be the same, in terms of wheel fitment, as installing a 20mm spacer (something people do all the time without fitment issues).

Has anyone considered this? I really would like to replace my Aeros at some point, but finding a used set of Model 3 19" wheels is near impossible, however, 19" Slipstreams are extremely common (and pretty cheap). Plus, I think it would look great! The Slipstream is a beautiful design.

Potential downsides:
- increased weight (reduced efficiency)
- lack of hub-centric wheel centering with an off-the-shelf adapter (can be remedied with a customer plastic or aluminum sleeve to make the the whole system hub-centric... or with custom adapters)

Before I get the "Model S wheels are 5x120, not 5x114.3"... Yes, I know. Here me out.

19" Slipstream specs: 19x8 +40
19" Model 3 specs: 19x8.5 +40

In theory, with an off-the-shelf 5x114.3 to 5x120 adapter (25mm thick), you could use Slipstreams on a Model 3. The result would be the same, in terms of wheel fitment, as installing a 20mm spacer (something people do all the time without fitment issues).

Has anyone considered this? I really would like to replace my Aeros at some point, but finding a used set of Model 3 19" wheels is near impossible, however, 19" Slipstreams are extremely common (and pretty cheap). Plus, I think it would look great! The Slipstream is a beautiful design.

Potential downsides:
- increased weight (reduced efficiency)
- lack of hub-centric wheel centering with an off-the-shelf adapter (can be remedied with a customer plastic or aluminum sleeve to make the the whole system hub-centric... or with custom adapters)

How cheap are the Slipstreams and how heavy are the wheels with adapter? There are alternatives: Tesla Model 3 19

I'd like to know if anyone has done this. I have a Model 3P on the way and I've got winter tires mounted on older 19 inch (19x8.0) base Model S wheels.

Obviously, this is incompatible with Model 3, but it would save a lot of hassle and cost to be able to use adapters for these wheels rather than having to get new wheels/TPMS/tires for the Model 3.

Last edited:
I thought about it, and when I bought my spacers, they actually accidentally sent me 15/20mm adapters to 5x120. If they would have let me just keep them, I would have maybe done just what you're suggesting. In the end, Didn't seem worth the effort and cost.