Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model s, 2013 North of Toronto; road salt territory - symptoms of imminent hv battery failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
had car into tesla service after total shut down (think it was likely connection between HV and LV battery issue. They fixed it (<$2k) and it actually seems to be getting improved mileage! They replaced the pyro fuse. Opened battery enclosure, and there was some corrosion. They said I need to get a new battery. Service guy was not inclined to answer questions.

Strong encouragement to get a new car. But for now, am getting some components (rotors, tie rods, shocks, A/C) fixed with mostly aftermarket parts. My tesla brake rotors only lasted 3 years.

I'm planning on battery replacement it, but would like to keep this one for awhile.

I would really like to have an idea of any upcoming battery failure symptoms. Car was out in the open for failure, but it is sometimes in an underground parking garage, which is not a great place for a tow.

Glad they fixed it, and for not too much money!

We have some companies like www.057tech.com, which offers a main battery warranty that you can purchase. Another one is www.recell-ev.com. I am not sure if they have Canadian branches or if there are other companies that could help you there.

The ones I listed usually can repair your main battery in the $5k USD range but if you have the warranty, it may be a fraction of that. If your car has any amount of the Tesla official main battery warranty remaining, that would apply first and the repair should be free.

I hope your car remains working and reliable for a long time.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I would second 057Tech and ReCell-EV. It would require bring the car to the states, which is really no big problem. Easiest would be to drive it into the USA as long as it's still drivable, and arrange to have a vehicle transport from the US side. Will be less paperwork, money and hassle. Other option, if its still driveable and reliable enough, you could drive it right to one of the two mentioned. 057Tech is the closest in Hickory, NC. Recell-EV is in San Antonio, TX.

Upvote 0
had car into tesla service after total shut down (think it was likely connection between HV and LV battery issue. They fixed it (<$2k) and it actually seems to be getting improved mileage! They replaced the pyro fuse. Opened battery enclosure, and there was some corrosion. They said I need to get a new battery. Service guy was not inclined to answer questions.

Strong encouragement to get a new car. But for now, am getting some components (rotors, tie rods, shocks, A/C) fixed with mostly aftermarket parts. My tesla brake rotors only lasted 3 years.

I'm planning on battery replacement it, but would like to keep this one for awhile.

I would really like to have an idea of any upcoming battery failure symptoms. Car was out in the open for failure, but it is sometimes in an underground parking garage, which is not a great

Upvote 0