Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - 500wh/m lifetime energy use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, planning on taking my first foray into electric with a used model S; have been scouring this forum which is a treasure trove of useful information.

I'm looking at a facelift 2016 70D. The lifetime (60,000+ miles) is showing as 500wh/m consumption, as is the 50 miles since the last charge.

What's going on here? I thought 350-400 to be normal, certainly over an almost 4 year life? Have they had a bike on the roof the whole time?

It's still in warranty, should I be concerned about this?

I wouldn’t worry about someone else’s energy usage.

It is however evidence the car was used 'hard'. Our 75D X is showing sub 400Wh/mile overall consumption at 37k.

To hit over 500Wh/mile either it was doing just non stop inner city traffic jam driving, or it was driven hard all the time.

If its the latter suspension, brakes, etc will wear out faster. I would also check the car hasn't been Rapidgated. An owner who thrushes their car will probably not think twice about lots of Supercharger use especially if its 'free for life' Supercharging.

Be very careful with any used S/X buy, you can easily end up with a car thats has battery which will only charge at sub 50KW on a Supercharger (even sub 40KW), making it next to useless for long road trips.

If you do end up with a knackered battery Tesla will also not replace it under warranty, as Tesla's view is the same as Apple's with the iPhone 4 antenna issue. Its not a product defect, its the customer not using the product in the way it was designed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Beady3647
If you do end up with a knackered battery Tesla will also not replace it under warranty, as Tesla's view is the same as Apple's with the iPhone 4 antenna issue. Its not a product defect, its the customer not using the product in the way it was designed.

How do Tesla demonstrate how the car has been used and how it was designed to be used when / if they refuse a warranty claim for a dud battery? I’ve not noticed anything about this in any warranty terms I’ve found.

How do Tesla demonstrate how the car has been used and how it was designed to be used when / if they refuse a warranty claim for a dud battery? I’ve not noticed anything about this in any warranty terms I’ve found.

670+ pages of info, the short version = Tesla don't really care about the longterm longevity of these cars, they just want to avoid paying out on warranty commitments.

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Reactions: glide
That is massively high IMO. I don’t see how you could manage that over 60k unless you drive everywhere with bikes on the roof.

I’m not sure you could do enough short journeys to amass 60k miles in 4 years, nor could you drive it hard enough for long enough in the U.K. and end up with that energy usage.

I wonder if the trip counters have been reset and it’s not really showing the lifetime Wh/m. I recently sold my car via a dealer and that involved a factory reset when I left it with him. Maybe that does it?

I’d certainly be asking the question of the owner/dealer.

For a *lifetime* average, that seems on the high side, especially for an S.

I could understand it with an X especially if there was a good amount of chunky towing involved. Cold weather, short trips with high ancillary drain (heater!) and constant stop/start traffic with heavy right foot don’t do wonders for the average either - but cold weather towing really does it in as does an extreme right foot.

I’m on 393 for just over 45K mi and just under 3 years in an X100D - that’s with towing too and a good dose of inner London carnage

That does seem very very high.
My spreadsheet (Yes, I know...) shows the consumption averaging 267Wh/mile. I only have some 9 entries so far because I don't bother with short trips.
What model, what total mileage / age, what sort of driving? Long term climate/temps play a *huge* part.

Dunno what part of Aussie your from but over here winter makes a big dent in Wh, especially below 5C I can see over 100 Wh/mi difference from our summers (equiv perhaps to your winters unless your in TAS) - I can average high 290s to 320s here in summer (not towing) and struggle to get below 450 in winter

Yeah, sorry! It's a 2020 Model S LR. The 9 inputs are all in the last month, trips over about 100Km and include two with a climb of 800m and the descent next day, around 23oKm each.
Obviously all sorts of things change the numbers: I would guess that driving style, temperature and elevation change are the most significant.