Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Y : up or downgrade??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not impressed then 🤔
Took me a while to get into the EV way of thinking, I think it helps massively if you have home charging, solar panels battery etc. we drove ours 2200 miles in five days with not one single issue. If I was using the car to do let’s say 20k miles per year then I’d stick with a petrol or diesel, personally I’d never go back and live my Tesla, after years of owning some fantastic cars my Tesla still makes me look forward in the morning to driving it and puts a smile on my face. We’re all different though with different experiences and needs.

no heat pump it has chrome all over it which I think looks awful, it’s going to be nowhere near as efficient in the watts per miles category, it has the 22” wheels which are going to be challenging on British roads to put it mildly, and when you look at the older model it’s looking dated now

That reads like you are wanting a fur coat, when what you need is a practical pair of knickers ...

the back doors don’t go up and down but to be honest that would be a bit embarrassing in a tesco car park

Although if it was raining and you had young kids that you were carrying and needed to get into kiddy seats, and especially if you had a bad back, you'd be well pleased to have a gazebo above your head to keep the rain off. Bit niche though ... unless.

If I was using the car to do let’s say 20k miles per year then I’d stick with a petrol or diesel

The MS I had in 2015 I did 30-35K miles a year. Back then much more limited ability to charge, and it had a motorway range of 240 miles, vs. its replacement which is just shy of 300 miles.

I averaged 20 minute Supercharging, twice each month. - which was 8 hours a year. Exactly the same amount of time I had previously spent on smelly forecourts filling up, except for those 8 EV hours I was able to sit and do Email and earn money, rather than stand-and-pump and queue-to-pay. Back then I was saving 15p a mile on fuel too ...

That reads like you are wanting a fur coat, when what you need is a practical pair of knickers ...

Although if it was raining and you had young kids that you were carrying and needed to get into kiddy seats, and especially if you had a bad back, you'd be well pleased to have a gazebo above your head to keep the rain off. Bit niche though ... unless.

The MS I had in 2015 I did 30-35K miles a year. Back then much more limited ability to charge, and it had a motorway range of 240 miles, vs. its replacement which is just shy of 300 miles.

I averaged 20 minute Supercharging, twice each month. - which was 8 hours a year. Exactly the same amount of time I had previously spent on smelly forecourts filling up, except for those 8 EV hours I was able to sit and do Email and earn money, rather than stand-and-pump and queue-to-pay. Back then I was saving 15p a mile on fuel too ...
35 thousand miles a year on 2x20 minute charges a month, you may want to work your numbers out again matey

35 thousand miles a year on 2x20 minute charges a month, you may want to work your numbers out again matey
If you charge at home it’s very possible. I used to have a 120 mile round trip commute a day, office 4 days a week, therefor 500 miles a week, 2k a month, 24k a year, none of that requiring superchargers and only using about 50% of the battery on 4/7 of the days available.

got the y on an overnight loan.

Y is -
Much quieter
Way more usable space
Better seat split + arm rest (2/3 split vs 2/2/2)
Suspension shines where x falls down and vice versa
Longer range
Faster charging
Smaller (city)
Roof bars vs tow (tie)
Acceleration and breaking far better

X is -
Bigger.
More controls on steering wheels +
Has the wings but these divide opinion
Two screens for driver
Better front seat

Let’s see when wife drives it tomorrow but kids much prefer the y….

Might well take the offer

Raven suspension may be better than the pre-raven build… it still is smoother than the y in certain places but the Y handles potholes, speed bumps and surprise hits way better than the X. The X is great for smoothing out motorway chatter but the X is WAY louder and less refined.

Range wise: 230 -> 330 miles is material and so are the charge speed increases.

Had 6 great years with our MX and would recommend it wholeheartedly - it’s great but our family needs have changed so Y fits better.

Raven suspension may be better than the pre-raven build… it still is smoother than the y in certain places but the Y handles potholes, speed bumps and surprise hits way better than the X. The X is great for smoothing out motorway chatter but the X is WAY louder and less refined.

Range wise: 230 -> 330 miles is material and so are the charge speed increases.

Had 6 great years with our MX and would recommend it wholeheartedly - it’s great but our family needs have changed so Y fits better.
Interesting- first time I’ve heard of the Y being quieter. The ones I’ve rented have been the worst NVH cars I’d driven. I measured one at 80 dbA @ 70 mph on smooth Florida freeways on Michelin pilot sport SS’s. I don’t have an X for reference but my MS typically measures low 70s using the same app on the M6 on summer PS4S‘s which are just about done. Will move to Vredesteins next, which will be a lot quieter. Simple enough for the OP to check.

Interesting- first time I’ve heard of the Y being quieter. The ones I’ve rented have been the worst NVH cars I’d driven. I measured one at 80 dbA @ 70 mph on smooth Florida freeways on Michelin pilot sport SS’s.
I picked up a new MIC MY LR just before Christmas and I’m truly amazed at how refined it is, especially compared to the 2019 M3 LR that I had before. It‘s much better than I was expecting. I gave it the beans today on an average UK A road with a less-than-perfect surface and was astonished to see the speed hit 95mph - I just didn’t notice how fast I was going because the cabin remained hushed. There’s no way I’d have done that in the M3. I’m also finding the ride, while still fairly firm, isn’t the crashy experience I remember from earlier Y test drives. I don’t know what Tesla have done, but the Y refinement has definitely improved over earlier cars.

Last edited:
Interesting. I toured (MS LR Raven) with an (early) M3LR. Each time we stopped to supercharge it was noticeable that I had more range, but took longer to charge
The MS Raven has a bigger battery and is more efficient compared to a MX 90D, and the larger battery in the MY compared to an early M3 just about compensates it for its less efficient aerodynamics.