Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 60 dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been contemplating for the past one week about the order but keep thinking about model-3.
Based on my configuration of model S60 the price comes to 77.5k (66k + 3k AP + 3k Premium + 2.5k leather + 1.5k paint + 1.5 Pano) before incentives.
I keep wondering why i should buy this where as model-3 in about 1.5 to 2 yrs i can get the same features + mileage + Acceleration for almost half price (35k + 10k upgrades if i get lucky 7.5 incentive will make it even sweeter deal) . Granted the model-3 will be 20% smaller and i need to wait for 1.5 yrs- 2 yrs ( i already have reservation standing in line).

But when Model-3 comes out Model-s60 will be same car just a little bigger chassis. But the Acceleration (0-60 less than 6 secs) + 210 miles + 5 adults.

I dont see compelling reason to buy a model-S60 now which will be outdone by Model-3 in 2 yrs or less.

It does makes sense for a Model-S90 or Model-S90D purchase as it cannot be outdone by model-3 in-terms of performance and mileage.

Also i wonder how Tesla priced 15kwh upgrade on Model-S60 at 9k but the Model-3 with 60kwh battery base price is 35k.
If my numbers are right they priced 5kwh at $3k and at this rate 60kwh should be $36k. How did they set Model-3 base price at $35k with a 60kwh battery ?

I am worried Model-S60 cars will be drastically devalued in 2 yrs time once Model-3 hits the road.

Whats your take on this ?

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I can't justify spending double on a model s right now, even though I prefer the look of the model s. My current game plan is to at least wait until the 2nd model 3 even later this year and then make up my mind between the 2.

Exactly what I was going to say. Toyota Avelon and Lexus ES350 same chassis, engine etc..... but just not as nice as the Lexus which costs more. Most car makers have the luxury brand to their lower cost model. The Model 3 will be a nice car and maybe compared to a BMW 3 series. Model S is more like the 7 series.

Also, I'm not sure your assertion that model 3 performance won't be that of Model S is accurate. Given the same motors, it should be faster considering it has less weight to accelerate. Throwing it around in the twisties will probably be even better. There's a reason all serious performance cars are small. I think a P version model 3 with "Ultimate Plaid" Mode, unless they downgrade the circuitry and fuses for some reason, could be faster. At least that is the natural result of physics unless they're limiting its abilities, and unless I've forgotten to take something into account.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I can't justify spending double on a model s right now, even though I prefer the look of the model s. My current game plan is to at least wait until the 2nd model 3 even later this year and then make up my mind between the 2.

I am thinking same to wait and hear more updates on model 3 for another 6 to 8 months. I dont think model3 will be any inferior in luxury and interior quality other than size.

I keep hearing comparison of BMW3 series and BMW7 series but they are far apart in performance. The same cant be justified for model-S60 Vs Model-3 in performance.

At the end of the day, it comes down to how much money you want to spend and when you want to have a Tesla. Now or one plus year from now. With 400k preorders who knows when exactly a person putting down a deposit today will realistically get theirs.

Tesla is a for profit organization. The Model S is the backbone of the company and has been. A car company will not cannibalize their backbone. What I mean is that you will get value out of the segment of car you purchase. Whether tesla puts higher quality materials, more performance, etc, we can only speculate. It seems reasonable to me that there will be some things better on the model S because it costs twice the amount, more likely than they will be the same except for the size of the car. Either way both cars will be a Tesla and will be great.

Just a side note, I find the banner ads on TMC hilarious. Up top I have an ad for a Chrysler Pacifica minivan (Who comes reading about Tesla Model S and decides no, you know what, I want a Chrysler minivan..). On the bottom, and nominally more relevant, I've got an ad for a Maserati Quattroporte.

Sorry, I meant to say "the 2nd model 3 event" later this year.
I think everyone torn between an S60 now or a model 3 should at least wait until the final reveal to find out more details of the Model 3.
Maybe there won't be a Heads Up Display at all and the screen in the middle is all we will get. Maybe they won't offer nearly as many upgrade options such as premium interior. Who knows? All I'm saying is I think it would be smart to at least wait until Tesla reveals more details about model 3 before making this decision.
The way I look at it is if I'm going to take out a 72 month loan on one of these 2 cars, I can at least wait another 6 months until reveal #2 to find out all of the details about Model 3

• Informative
Reactions: Model S M.D.