Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 60 Resale Value After 3 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess you could try and find data to see what the FMV for a 3-month old Tesla is based on recent sales. But I've watched people try and presumably fail to sell "like new" used cars close to their purchase price. Ultimately most people would rather pay the 10% premium to get a new car.

I guess you could try and find data to see what the FMV for a 3-month old Tesla is based on recent sales. But I've watched people try and presumably fail to sell "like new" used cars close to their purchase price. Ultimately most people would rather pay the 10% premium to get a new car.
Specifically to tesla is $7500 kicker. You will lose $7500 automatically and another $2500 for customization. $10,000 when you drive off the lot that day IMHO. Even if your purchase price is $90 that's already over 10%. Add a couple months of driving and a ding or two. And Trade in vs retail. I'm thinking more like $15,000 or 15% best case scenario. Retail avg. probably 17-18k or 17-18% assuming $100k sticker. Retail is almost impossible at that range. So best bet is CarMax / trade in. soooo 20% is my guess after 3 months. Thats my guess. No evidence.

If you purchase it, you're also paying the tax on the full price on the car vs. just monthly payment on the lease. Granted you get the Federal tax credit which will wash out the tax, it's still something that'll keep you upside down for a while on a loan.

Unless you live in the great state of GA where on tesla lease you pay entire tax up front. Financing? You can put it into payment. $18,000 up front cash swing to finance over lease.

Is it impossible to lease a Tesla in Georgia?

If you purchase it, you're also paying the tax on the full price on the car vs. just monthly payment on the lease. Granted you get the Federal tax credit which will wash out the tax, it's still something that'll keep you upside down for a while on a loan.

Also if you "trade in" for a new car in 3 months you just pay tax on the difference in value.