Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S accident - seeking advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know what, you could be right. It's all going to be speculation for most of us in the end, but nonetheless it's concerning to me as it exposed my son to any potential incursions. I'll be letting Tesla know if they care to investigate, and in the mean time will count ourselves extremely lucky given that the worst of it is scratches and bruises.

If I've got it right, here are some other pictures. Sorry, but I'm not great with linking in pictures on this site - can't upload directly because of size restrictions and I've not bothered to find a photo compression tool.

IMG_20170303_1331158.jpg

IMG_20170303_1330017.jpg

IMG_20170303_1329499.jpg

Wow, looking at those pictures that is crazy. Was the door still attached by the door latch or was it completely sheered off?

Wow, looking at those pictures that is crazy. Was the door still attached by the door latch or was it completely sheered off?

The door was completely sheered off. I never got a clear picture of the door in the hood of the jeep, but there wasn't much left of it - peeled the outer skin of the door off and crumpled up. I believe it failed at the latch (just overwhelmed) - the force of the impact combined with the angle and the point of impact caused this - the jeep's bumper acted like a pry bar then a large force sheared the door off. The good side is that the high strength steel in the door frame held up and along with the rail across the bottom stopped the jeep from entering the cabin.

Wow, what makes you say that? If I had caused an accident, ripping off a door to expose a child and the distress that would have caused them, not to mention the flying glass and noise, I would feel guilt-ridden to say the least.

Well, I had a talk with the officer afterwards and the other party tried to persuade the officer to drop the charges. He told me that there was no way especially given there are kids involved. They never once came up or said a word either, never checked to see if the kids were okay. The driver just sat in the car.