Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S AP 1 when does the car take evasive action?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Wshowell
I feel the same as you, that you need to be vigilant and ready to take control, but I have experienced AP1 take "evasive" action on a couple instances.
Here I was driving in the fast lane and the BMW in front began to drift into my lane at which point my AP hit the brakes and moved (almost) into the lane on the left.
Then you can hear me disengage AP to pass him as I figured he must be drunk/texting

Another time, as I entered the off ramp with AP disengaged (0:46) on the video you can hear the music mute and 3 small beeps. At that time, autosteer veered my car away from the guard rail it thought I was going to scrub

I've had the same thing happen. 2014 P85D. Driving on interstate with AP1 engaged in the left lane. There were overlapping concrete barriers in the median and the car took strong and evasive action to the right. There were no cars in front or beside me. I am unsure if autosteer disengaged or not because I immediately took the wheel to keep the car in it's lane.