Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S AP 2.0 picture ( 50 pictures).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Were the front fender cameras the same size as the the current turn signal "emblem" for AP1 cars? Did the fender look like it was different itself? I'm curious if the camera assembly is just a drop in replacement or if one tried to retrofit these if they would need a new fender too.

Thanks,

Chris

front fender cameras were of the same size as the emblem of AP1. Hardly noticeable.

Reactions: Sather
Were the front fender cameras the same size as the the current turn signal "emblem" for AP1 cars? Did the fender look like it was different itself? I'm curious if the camera assembly is just a drop in replacement or if one tried to retrofit these if they would need a new fender too.

Thanks,

Chris

What would be the purpose if you don't have the chipset to wire it into?

What would be the purpose if you don't have the chipset to wire it into?

Obviously that would be needed too. I'm just figuring out what actual parts would be involved in a retrofit. If it's literally a couple of b-pillars, new tesla emblems on the front fender, a new windshield & front camera assembly, ultrasonics and CPU it seems there would be hope for an eventual upgrade. None of that is super expensive and all locations (we don't know where the CPU is yet) are pretty accessible. Mainly just curiosity on my part figuring out how feasible it might be one day...

Chris

If it's literally a couple of b-pillars, new tesla emblems on the front fender, a new windshield & front camera assembly, ultrasonics and CPU it seems there would be hope for an eventual upgrade.

Don't forget all new ultrasonic sensors, as well as wiring harnesses, and hookup of the CPU into the power/control/cooling system. (Since, at least on the Model S, it isn't in the same place.) I think it would be a significant tear-down of the car to get everything in.

Obviously that would be needed too. I'm just figuring out what actual parts would be involved in a retrofit. If it's literally a couple of b-pillars, new tesla emblems on the front fender, a new windshield & front camera assembly, ultrasonics and CPU it seems there would be hope for an eventual upgrade. None of that is super expensive and all locations (we don't know where the CPU is yet) are pretty accessible. Mainly just curiosity on my part figuring out how feasible it might be one day...

Chris

A 10-core CPU is about $1500, this is a 12-core CPU with 4 GPUs from what I'm reading. Also, it's a liquid cooled setup so even if you got your hands on the chipset somehow there's a pump, reservoir, etc. That's going to be hard to squeeze in somewhere.

Also, wiring all of these cameras would be a nightmare.

Anything is possible I suppose

A 10-core CPU is about $1500, this is a 12-core CPU with 4 GPUs from what I'm reading. Also, it's a liquid cooled setup so even if you got your hands on the chipset somehow there's a pump, reservoir, etc. That's going to be hard to squeeze in somewhere.

Also, wiring all of these cameras would be a nightmare.

Anything is possible I suppose

Y'all are reading too much into the liquid cooling. It is just like desktop GPU's. Its a self-contained liquid cooled heatsink. There is none of that complication everyone keeps talking about. At most a short run of tubing to carry then liquid to a small radiator and fan. They put these kinds of things in desktop if you are in the market for high end gamer or workstation GPU. You can see the base board on NVIDIA's website, it's not a monster contraption, on the contrary it's a pretty typical looking multi-GPU board.

The ultrasonics should just pop off the old ones and pop on the new ones. Maybe I'm wrong...

Chris

Y'all are reading too much into the liquid cooling. It is just like desktop GPU's. Its a self-contained liquid cooled heatsink. There is none of that complication everyone keeps talking about. At most a short run of tubing to carry then liquid to a small radiator and fan. They put these kinds of things in desktop if you are in the market for high end gamer or workstation GPU. You can see the base board on NVIDIA's website, it's not a monster contraption, on the contrary it's a pretty typical looking multi-GPU board.

The ultrasonics should just pop off the old ones and pop on the new ones. Maybe I'm wrong...

Chris
I've not seen a multiprocessor board running 12 processors to the tune of 8 teraflops on it with the ability to simultaneously capture 8 cameras . The equivalent processing power of 150 MacBook pro's - the size of a lunchbox.

I don't think this is a standard board of any kind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Norfolk Enchants
I've not seen a multiprocessor board running 12 processors to the tune of 8 teraflops on it with the ability to simultaneously capture 8 cameras . The equivalent processing power of 150 MacBook pro's - the size of a lunchbox.

I don't think this is a standard board of any kind.

Here's the single board 11 TFLOP version, at a minimum a very close sibling. They are using 2 lower clocked GPU's, to fit within the thermal/power specs for the automobile world, to hit the 12 TFLOP number.

BTW, the latest crop of GPU's are all very strong at this kind of thing (image recognition), AMD's new dual GPU board can do 18 TFLOPs...

NVIDIA TITAN X Graphics Card with Pascal Architecture

Chris

Chris

I run gaming rigs to include liquid cooled ones. That radiator has to vent somewhere away from the board so it can't be too short. I haven't pulled the dash and looked 'under the hood' but I doubt it's a straightforward retrofit. Maybe Elon equated it to a spinal transplant to discourage further discourse because there's no compelling business reason to do so but he has always struck me as an engineer first. Is it doable? Maybe...but I just think you're far oversimplifying the work involved.

Furthermore, TM is not going to simply enable this on a home-hack job. You're going to need to do some software modifications as well. And if you pull it all off... once your AP1.0 car starts sending AP2.0 data back to the mothership that's going to raise far more serious red flags than the people unlocking 15 kWh of battery.

Don't get me wrong though, I encourage you to attempt it if you have the time and money. I'd love to follow along the project.

I run gaming rigs to include liquid cooled ones. That radiator has to vent somewhere away from the board so it can't be too short. I haven't pulled the dash and looked 'under the hood' but I doubt it's a straightforward retrofit. Maybe Elon equated it to a spinal transplant to discourage further discourse because there's no compelling business reason to do so but he has always struck me as an engineer first. Is it doable? Maybe...but I just think you're far oversimplifying the work involved.

Furthermore, TM is not going to simply enable this on a home-hack job. You're going to need to do some software modifications as well. And if you pull it all off... once your AP1.0 car starts sending AP2.0 data back to the mothership that's going to raise far more serious red flags than the people unlocking 15 kWh of battery.

Don't get me wrong though, I encourage you to attempt it if you have the time and money. I'd love to follow along the project.

Oh I don't plan on doing it myself most likely. I was just curious what parts actually needed to be swapped out. I agree, I doubt the reason for no retrofit is more a lack of business case as I haven't seen anything thus far that screams huge technical hurdle. I figure the board sits somewhere between the frunk and main display. Most of the other wiring harnesses go to that general location and it would provide access to the outside. Just seems a lot more feasible than non-AP to AP and that was done with a lot of swear & $$. This would be a lot simpler for Tesla if they decided it was worth it to them. But as of often sited, they are in the business of selling new cars so it pretty unlikely.

Chris

Y'all are reading too much into the liquid cooling. It is just like desktop GPU's. Its a self-contained liquid cooled heatsink.

No it isn't. You can look at the picture of the cooling unit NVIDIA demos with the unit, it is as big as the system itself, if not bigger: (And notice the external tubes connecting the cooling to the processing unit? (i.e. not self-contained)
nvidia_drive_px_2-100636040-large.jpg

I can't imagine that Elon is going to want those two fans whirring under the dash making a lot of noise, so they are probably going to pipe the cooling to somewhere else.

That is a big unit. It looks like it is the size of about 6 soda cans when the Drive PX 2 is combined with the cooling unit...