Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S, AP - Goes so close to the vehicle next lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got delivery of my M S 75D 4 days ago. The key reason I chose Tesla is for the AP. So far, I love it and feel happy about the thrills the car provides. While on AP on the freeway, while taking wide turns @ > 65 MPH, if there is a vehicle in the adjacent lane, the car goes so close to the edge of the lane (noticed in both right and left wide turns) and looks like it could touch the vehicle in the adjacent lane. I immediately take control for fear of straying into the other lane or potentially touch the other vehicle. Similarly, in freeway tunnels, I take control as the car goes so close to the walls. [Seattle I-5 tunnels]. Am I paranoid or does everyone take control ? Just want to be careful.

The current release of AP doesn’t seem to hold its Center in the Lane very well. 2017.42 was the best at lane keeping in my opinion. I used to be able to drive the Garden State Parkway without touching the steering wheel, but with the current software I have to take control every couple of minutes.
Sometimes software updates make the car worse, sometimes they make it better.
Hopefully AP will get a lot better “soon”

Reactions: croman
People with autopilot issues / concerns should be sure to state whether they’re on AP1 or AP2/2.5 hardware.

On my AP1 S85D, wide turns on the freeway are generally fine, but tight turns can sometimes be a problem with centering. A common thing many of us have noticed is that AP cars tend to (try to) stay centered in the lane, whereas many human drivers tend to bias slightly to the left. This gives the impression of AP driving too close to traffic on the right. (Um, the preceeding assumes a country where people drive on the right side of the road.)

Presumably you’re always keeping a hand on the wheel (as per warnings on the IC every time you engage autosteering) so you can take control if needed.

If you’re new to AP (and it sounds like you are?) you might want to look up this thread...it’s pretty old but I think it’s still applicable today:

A flight instructor teaches Tesla Autopilot

Bruce.

Reactions: johnking
Ditto, albeit reversed as I'm in a drive-on-the-left territory; car generally stays bang-on centred, but when passing large vehicles (Semis / HGVs) the car seems to love snuggling up to them (this is confirmed via a visual check of gap between car and lane marker in the wing mirrors). They may change it one day :)

Reactions: johnking
What really annoys me is that sometimes with our AP1 car, it moves so far out of the center of the lane that the lane departure rumble triggers! Talk about the left hand (computer in this case) not knowing what the right hand is doing!

I've seen this when changing lanes on a fairly gentle curve.

The current release of AP doesn’t seem to hold its Center in the Lane very well. 2017.42 was the best at lane keeping in my opinion. I used to be able to drive the Garden State Parkway without touching the steering wheel, but with the current software I have to take control every couple of minutes.
Sometimes software updates make the car worse, sometimes they make it better.
Hopefully AP will get a lot better “soon”

Its so frustrating how Tesla keeps messing with a good thing. As you said, .42 was awesome...very very solid. I updated to 50.2 recently and AP is close to unusable on windy roads. For some reason, it super hugs the lane when the road sweeps to the left, so much so that the tires end up going over the marks in the road that are supposed to alert you that you're weaving out of your lane. Or it will abruptly figure out its too far over, then ping pongs back and forth within the lane. On a road trip yesterday, I literally had to shut off AP every time the roads started curving left and right and only used it on stretches of straight road.

People with autopilot issues / concerns should be sure to state whether they’re on AP1 or AP2/2.5 hardware.

On my AP1 S85D, wide turns on the freeway are generally fine, but tight turns can sometimes be a problem with centering. A common thing many of us have noticed is that AP cars tend to (try to) stay centered in the lane, whereas many human drivers tend to bias slightly to the left. This gives the impression of AP driving too close to traffic on the right. (Um, the preceeding assumes a country where people drive on the right side of the road.)

Presumably you’re always keeping a hand on the wheel (as per warnings on the IC every time you engage autosteering) so you can take control if needed.

If you’re new to AP (and it sounds like you are?) you might want to look up this thread...it’s pretty old but I think it’s still applicable today:

A flight instructor teaches Tesla Autopilot

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce for the link to the previous thread. Very informative and practical.

I am on AP2. - John