Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S battery degradation should stay under 10% on Tesla's warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

We have a Tesla Model S 2013 85kWh. I just noticed the drop in my battery capacity. My wife drives the MS primarily and didn't notice it until I pointed it out.

We were charging the battery to 90% of its total capacity for years and it gave us 260-263 miles per 90% charge. Over the years it would drop a few miles but nothing greater than +5 miles. This year we were charging around 250 miles and then as software updates were released we got to down about 242 miles per 90% capacity of battery. Now with the latest, we are seeing a max charge of about 216 miles per 90% capacity of the battery. 217 miles from 242 miles is about an 11% drop. If you take 217 miles from 263 miles, that's over a 17% drop.

I only charged to 100% about 3 times. The battery is mainly charged to 90% of its capacity majority of the life of the car. We don't supercharge much, we typically charge at 240V at home from midnight to AM for the special utility rates.

I brought up the issue to Tesla and they told me discharge battery to about 20% of its capacity and charge it back up slowly (240V or 120V) about 5-6 times. If the issue still exists, then bring it back in so they can look at the history. Rep also told me the new software update had a new algorithm to accurately measure the battery capacity. Rep also stated in the first year, owners could see a 5% drop then the following years a 1-3% drop with the % going lower as each year progresses. Rep said that from 265 miles to 217 miles appear to be accurate and nothing out of the norm. I told the rep that the loss of mileage occurred this year alone and it was over 25-30+ miles which is out of the norm and should then be considered a defect. The rep told me it depends on how the battery was cared for such as supercharging and charging constantly and to 100% capacity. I rebuttal that all the drop I've seen occurred in 2019.

Also my AC stopped working the same time around the software updates. Now I have to pay for a service fee to have it looked at. If the AC is not working, are my batteries being properly cooled? If not, isn't my battery experiencing extreme heat conditions and will degrade my battery even more? When I try to use the Tesla App to heat my car up, the car heats up for about 30 secs then turns off never reaching my desired temp.

I have an apt tomorrow and will keep you posted.

Thanks everyone.

Hi All,

We have a Tesla Model S 2013 85kWh. I just noticed the drop in my battery capacity. My wife drives the MS primarily and didn't notice it until I pointed it out.

We were charging the battery to 90% of its total capacity for years and it gave us 260-263 miles per 90% charge. Over the years it would drop a few miles but nothing greater than +5 miles. This year we were charging around 250 miles and then as software updates were released we got to down about 242 miles per 90% capacity of battery. Now with the latest, we are seeing a max charge of about 216 miles per 90% capacity of the battery. 217 miles from 242 miles is about an 11% drop. If you take 217 miles from 263 miles, that's over a 17% drop.

I only charged to 100% about 3 times. The battery is mainly charged to 90% of its capacity majority of the life of the car. We don't supercharge much, we typically charge at 240V at home from midnight to AM for the special utility rates.

I brought up the issue to Tesla and they told me discharge battery to about 20% of its capacity and charge it back up slowly (240V or 120V) about 5-6 times. If the issue still exists, then bring it back in so they can look at the history. Rep also told me the new software update had a new algorithm to accurately measure the battery capacity. Rep also stated in the first year, owners could see a 5% drop then the following years a 1-3% drop with the % going lower as each year progresses. Rep said that from 265 miles to 217 miles appear to be accurate and nothing out of the norm. I told the rep that the loss of mileage occurred this year alone and it was over 25-30+ miles which is out of the norm and should then be considered a defect. The rep told me it depends on how the battery was cared for such as supercharging and charging constantly and to 100% capacity. I rebuttal that all the drop I've seen occurred in 2019.

Also my AC stopped working the same time around the software updates. Now I have to pay for a service fee to have it looked at. If the AC is not working, are my batteries being properly cooled? If not, isn't my battery experiencing extreme heat conditions and will degrade my battery even more? When I try to use the Tesla App to heat my car up, the car heats up for about 30 secs then turns off never reaching my desired temp.

Thanks everyone.

You might want to read:

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Reactions: Droschke and _jal_
Hi All,

Thanks everyone.
You need to read what @faughtz linked. You’re part of a class!

Reactions: Droschke
Hi All,

Thanks everyone.

It would help if you copy/past your post in this thread: Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Also, please read post#1 of the mentioned thread.