Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S becomes unresponsive while driving!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not think @HankLloydRight was questioning your integrity. I think he was just saying that the person on the phone with you is probably wrong. At least that was how I interpreted it.

Yes! Totally. Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't questioning a single thing you said -- it's just a very common event to have Tesla "tech people" give out woefully incorrect information.

I don't believe for one second that firmware updates are done in silent, in the background, while someone is actually driving the car. Even if they have that process perfected (impossible!), it's still a phenomenal risk to the drivers, occupants, and anyone near the car.

I do not think @HankLloydRight was questioning your integrity. I think he was just saying that the person on the phone with you is probably wrong. At least that was how I interpreted it.
Tesla staff give misinformation all the time. Updates download in the background, but do NOT install in the background. You have to proactively install it and the screen warns you the car is not drivable during that time.

Tesla staff give misinformation all the time. Updates download in the background, but do NOT install in the background. You have to proactively install it and the screen warns you the car is not drivable during that time.
Exactly. It's also been documented if you touch the car while it's updating, bad things happen and the SC may need to reset it/reload the update. It's recommended to walk away and do not touch it while the update is in progress. DRIVE it? OMG.

As for believing what he told you and you reported, of course we do, OP. :D

• Funny
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Exactly. It's also been documented if you touch the car while it's updating, bad things happen and the SC may need to reset it/reload the update. It's recommended to walk away and do not touch it while the update is in progress. DRIVE it? OMG.

As for believing what he told you and you reported, of course we do, OP. :D

I thought that if I touched the car while it was updating I'd get shocked to death! :eek:

Seriously, @Justintiime we are not questioning your posts. Please keep us informed! Good luck!

Reactions: Justintiime
OK, I'm glad to see some positive reassurance here. I'm so used to typical internet trolls attacking every little flaw down to a misplace comma in a post...it gets tiring.

Glad to hear about the misinformation given by a tech, but also scared at the same time!!

I likely won't have any updates until next week. Still pretty bummed about this, but high hopes it will get sorted.

I won't drive it now that I know its a recurring problem. Service center is going to come get it Tuesday. here is the video

Any idea?!?!?!
Aww bummer that it happened so soon after purchase. That could have been quite scary had it happened on the highway. That is a bummer that the SvC is so far away from you too; however, I'm sure Tesla will make it right. Their service is pretty awesome.

I'm sure they'll replace one or more parts and you'll have a working car again. That said you mentioned the service center is 3 hours away and that is the number one concern I have about getting a tesla as I also live 3 hours away from a service center.
In your case they'll just be running those flatbeds to pick up your car and bring you a loaner and then the other way around on return. I am now much more accustomed to this than I'd like.

Three weeks and the car has a major malfunction - you certainly have every right to be extremely bummed out. In that short of a time period - does your state protect you with any laws that would allow you to return the car? I would look into that if I were you. You might even ask Tesla if they will just take it back out of goodwill, if you don't feel safe in it any more.

I can tell you I just completed a 7 day period where I put about 2500 miles on my S with zero problems. I love the car. And once you get your new DU, you may never have another problem. The bad phone info (updates while you're driving it - LOL!!!) given to a new owner - well its just natural you're bummed. All I can think to tell you is, you learn to ignore most of what Tesla service tells you by phone. If anything makes you uncomfortable with the car you take it to service and make them check it out in person. I've done this before. They replaced a DU for me after one of these checks I got them to do without any appointment. So, summary, phone support bad, in person support good.

Hoping you get this in the rear-view mirror soon and are back to excitement and joy that most of us feel even after years of ownership.

I appreciate all the replys, its really brightening my outlook on this mess. Lesson learned, don't listen to on the phone support lol

as far as a lemon law, I bought the car in north Carolina (I live in Virginia) as to avoid paying a $2500 transport fee to another zone. But even so, in VA I'm pretty sure the car needs to go back to the dealer multiple times for the same issue, be at the dealership unrepaired for like 45 consecutive days etc. I seriously doubt this will be an issue.

I just want to drive my car! I have 2 huge road trips coming up with my wife and we are both pretty excited to take the tesla. Even if I don't have my car, it sounds like I'll be getting a Tesla loaner...