Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S can swim???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That seems like a very bad idea. What if water gets into the battery pack...BRICK?

If you got yourself in the situation of this driver, for whatever reason (including being careless), you'd be glad too that you were able to get out of there while other cars were left to drown probably even more than at the point the Tesla driver understood it was 'bout time to get out of there.

These situations mostly don't happen because people are over estimating the car's ability to tolarate high water (your gut reaction is a perfect example of this) but instead unforeseen events putting you in a n awkward position.

Tesla Model S James Bond Easter Egg Discovered

upload_2016-6-18_14-40-29.png

• Love
Reactions: GSP and WarpedOne
I don't recommend to risk driving through a flooded street because Tesla warranty does not cover that.

Fully agree. The whole chassis is essentially emmersed and future corrosion problems will arise. Most ICE ingest water into the intake - crippling the engine. EV don't have this problem. But, if for some reason you stop in the puddle, water will enter the cabin then you're toast.

In Houston during one of the recent floods a Tesla owner posted pictures (on Facebook) from his garage. They showed his Tesla and his other ICE vehicle. Water got to 18" deep if I recall correctly. After the water receded, the ICE car started right up. But the Tesla showed all kinds of codes when he tried to turn it on, and the insurance company totaled it. FWIW. I have a Volt and I drive it anytime heavy rain is expected. Haven't driven the Tesla through anything deep yet. The Volt's been through deep water several times with no problems so far.

In Houston during one of the recent floods a Tesla owner posted pictures (on Facebook) from his garage. They showed his Tesla and his other ICE vehicle. Water got to 18" deep if I recall correctly. After the water receded, the ICE car started right up. But the Tesla showed all kinds of codes when he tried to turn it on, and the insurance company totaled it. FWIW. I have a Volt and I drive it anytime heavy rain is expected. Haven't driven the Tesla through anything deep yet. The Volt's been through deep water several times with no problems so far.
Obviously there is a difference between sitting in standing water and moving through high water. ICE cars are more susceptible to stalling out in high water but appear to be better in standing water (that doesn't get to the electronics) the opposite is true for BEVs. The Volt is a mixed bag and could have the worst of both situations depending on which mode the car is in at the time of contact with high water. At the end of the day any electronics don't play well in water.