Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Coming out of Warranty - Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me or does this one thread dispel the myth that you'll save on maintenance with a tesla? Yikes. I am looking at some used Teslas but this has scared me.

I am not sure because I think it is based on your ownership history and specific background. As I originally wrote, my background is from Lexus and Honda, both of which have excellent reliability, so I got used to NEVER needing repairs.

I had a 2008 Lexus IS350 and in my 9 years of ownership, other than regular maintenance (fluids), I had to do the brakes once and I never had another single issue. Not one.

With my Tesla, in 3 years of ownership, I have had about 5-6 needed repairs (Front Camera replaced, driver seat replaced, 12V battery replaced, trim fixed multiple times, driver door handle replaced etc...)

That's why I got my used S from Tesla directly as it comes with an additional 4 years and 80K km warranty. Problem solved.

I tried that route and finally gave up after weeks of chasing my tail. That was a horrible, horrible experience at trying to spend $80k on a used vehicle. I ended up buying from a (non Tesla) dealership near me that sells a lot of used Teslas. Unless they change up their methods I will probably never buy used directly from Tesla. It was pretty clear that they couldn't have cared less about the people looking at their used inventory. It took me over a week to even get a response back from them, let alone anything close to reasonable images. Also not being able to see the vehicle before you buy it is a total deal breaker for me. Might as well be buying a bridge in Brooklyn.

I tried that route and finally gave up after weeks of chasing my tail. That was a horrible, horrible experience at trying to spend $80k on a used vehicle. I ended up buying from a (non Tesla) dealership near me that sells a lot of used Teslas. Unless they change up their methods I will probably never buy used directly from Tesla. It was pretty clear that they couldn't have cared less about the people looking at their used inventory. It took me over a week to even get a response back from them, let alone anything close to reasonable images. Also not being able to see the vehicle before you buy it is a total deal breaker for me. Might as well be buying a bridge in Brooklyn.
My experience was the opposite. The sales rep I dealt with was very responsive and I got so many pictures prior to having to put down a deposit. I almost bought a car from ShiftMotors (I'm sure you're referring to the same dealer in your comment above) but it was a deal breaker for me as there was no warranty from them or Tesla. You had to get a 3rd party deal and they were the pilot (ShiftMotors) for that program.

I guess you were luckier than I. I dealt with two different sales reps and it was like pulling teeth with both. I even tried to figure out how to escalate it to someone in management but got nowhere. The one sales rep wouldn't even speak to me on the phone at all, period. They said that they preferred to deal exclusively via email (and would take two days to respond to even a simple question). A 15 minute phone call could have made all the difference.

Yes I did buy from Shift, but I did not do the extended warranty.

Reactions: SilverGS