Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S continuous upgrades 2012 - 2019 disruptive?

Continuous Improvements/Upgrades

• Owner - love it

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • Owner - don't care

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • looking at BEVs - what are you talking about?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • looking at BEVs - seems a Tesla plus

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S Changes from 2012 to 2019
We’ve identified most of the visible changes made between the 2012 and 2019 Model S. We know there are thousands of additional small and not-so small changes out of sight. Not shown are the extensive software updates and new features, since these changes are mostly included in all cars regardless of age.

Model S Changes from 2012 to 2019 | TeslaTap

The "PRESS" (and many, many analysis) don't seem to understand. Do the owners? and potential buyers?

Wife's X convinces husband to trade in Porsche Panamera turbo for Model S. Why? watch this clip

Coming from a Panamera that has like 75+ switches or user input areas. No surprise he likes the S. Simple. He makes an analogy to the Iphone. Which I love to use with others as they think negatively about the simplicity of Tesla's.

My buddy has a Panamera. I always joke with him that he should invest in Q-Tips. Cleaning out all the dust on all those areas must be a pain.

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA and Brando
Coming from a Panamera that has like 75+ switches or user input areas. No surprise he likes the S. Simple. He makes an analogy to the Iphone. Which I love to use with others as they think negatively about the simplicity of Tesla's.

My buddy has a Panamera. I always joke with him that he should invest in Q-Tips. Cleaning out all the dust on all those areas must be a pain.

The new Panamera doesn't have all the hard buttons though (they use touch-sensitive "haptic" buttons instead)

No, the "refresh" is almost certain to take away the steering wheel dash screen, and not give owners the popularly requested HUD. It is to be "minimalist", as noted elsewhere.

Fast Company just put a logical piece out, about what touchscreens do to safety:
3 reasons why Tesla’s dashboard touch screens suck
Without really asking for it, Tesla continues to introduce software and hardware changes that make manual driving harder.

I've had four Model S, and seen Versions 6-9. There are no defenders of Version 9, who stick around and itemize whether it actually was an improvement over Version 8, for instance. On the contrary, it seems like they make using the car more difficult in way that agrees with the article (putting controls on bottom, rather than top, animating them as moving targets, sub-menus etc.).

Tesla is working much harder to get away from manual driving, than make it better. These changes flatter Autopilot data, on a relative basis. This has become obvious to me, as my car's controls move.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Brando