Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Dashboard and console controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Early on, when I first drove my Roadster in heavier traffic (Greater Toronto Area), I did turn the rear view camera on a few times when traffic was crawling along, stop & go...I found it acted as a "security blanket" because it helped out with the blind spots when changing lanes...
Completely agree :biggrin: Rear visibility isn't one of the Roadster's strong suits...

Sat in an S beta for the first time today, the biggest surprise to me was the limited rear visibility. I've been in worse, but not what I was expecting with all that glass.
We'll see if the RCs have any improvement there (the plastic over the rear crossbar area getting in the way of view...)

Opponents say an in-car electronics ban will make driving more dangerous

In the brave new world of the 21st century, cars are about more than driving. They are full of touch screens, voice recognition software, and whatever BMW’s iDrive controller is. They deliver entertainment and information, and keep people connected with their social networks. Some critics, including the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), think these features are too distracting; last month, the NHTSA proposed regulations to curb embedded electronics.

Larry

Stalks

Here's a blow-up of the steering wheel from the Model S Design Studio (better if you click on it to zoom).

steering.jpg

I can see several stalks:

• Upper right looks like P / D / N / R.
  • Upper left looks like a standard turn signal / high beam control. Can't tell for sure if it has other functions - maybe washers?
  • Middle left - there's something just under the crossbar of the wheel - looks like it may be a stalk, because it's at a funny angle if it were on the dashboard. Can't tell anything about this. Cruise control maybe? Other?
  • Lower left - appears to be the steering wheel tilt and in/out joystick.

For those who've seen the newer betas in person, can you identify all of the stalk functions?

I can see several stalks:
  • Upper right looks like P / D / N / R.
  • Upper left looks like a standard turn signal / high beam control. Can't tell for sure if it has other functions - maybe washers?
  • Middle left - there's something just under the crossbar of the wheel - looks like it may be a stalk, because it's at a funny angle if it were on the dashboard. Can't tell anything about this. Cruise control maybe? Other?
  • Lower left - appears to be the steering wheel tilt and in/out joystick.
For those who've seen the newer betas in person, can you identify all of the stalk functions?
Kinda looks like the washer/wiper symbol on the left middle stalk.

It's all standard Mercedes switchgear (probably sourced from ZF).

On left side starting from the top to bottom:

1.) The cruise control stalk. The particular one in the picture here has the Distronic dial, which I think is not actually on the Model S.
2.) The middle stalk is turn signal, wipers, high/low beam headlights and the windshield washer.
3.) The bottom small stalk is to control the steering wheel position and the steering wheel heater.

Again, the markings on these are identical to Mercedes.

The right side stalk if, as you said, the transmission control (or I guess "drive control" might be a better term in this case?)

Last edited:
Here are some clips from a Mercedes owner's manual if anyone is interested. If Tesla goes with these stalks on final cars, I think you'll all find they are very good quality and proven over many decades now. The combined turn signal, wiper, high/low beam stalk has been basically unchanged since the first Mercedes I drove in the 1980's. In the early beta I sat in, this switchgear was easily the highest quality, nicest feeling part of the interior.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• mb0.png
    mb0.png
    357.9 KB · Views: 124
  • mb1.png
    mb1.png
    303.9 KB · Views: 117
  • mb2.png
    mb2.png
    346.8 KB · Views: 125
It's all standard Mercedes switchgear (probably sourced from ZF).

On left side starting from the top to bottom:

1.) The cruise control stalk. The particular one in the picture here has the Distronic dial, which I think is not actually on the Model S.
2.) The middle stalk is turn signal, wipers, high/low beam headlights and the windshield washer.
3.) The bottom small stalk is to control the steering wheel position and the steering wheel heater.

Again, the markings on these are identical to Mercedes.

The right side stalk if, as you said, the transmission control (or I guess "drive control" might be a better term in this case?)

Do Mercedes vehicles have the 3-blink tap functionality on the turn signal stalk? If so, I wonder what the odds of getting that on the Model S will be. I'm so used to that.

Here are some clips from a Mercedes owner's manual if anyone is interested. If Tesla goes with these stalks on final cars, I think you'll all find they are very good quality and proven over many decades now. The combined turn signal, wiper, high/low beam stalk has been basically unchanged since the first Mercedes I drove in the 1980's. In the early beta I sat in, this switchgear was easily the highest quality, nicest feeling part of the interior.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that. I didn't see auto sensing wipers, don't Mercedes vehicles have that as well? I haven't seen it mentioned in any Model S literature, so I guess that's not coming on board. Nor probably speed-sensitive wipers (and audio). Stuff I've taken for granted.

Thanks for that. I didn't see auto sensing wipers, don't Mercedes vehicles have that as well? I haven't seen it mentioned in any Model S literature, so I guess that's not coming on board. Nor probably speed-sensitive wipers (and audio). Stuff I've taken for granted.

The first Mercedes I had with autosensing wipers I think was 2003. They may have introduced it a few years before that. The switch didn't really change, though. The first detent which used to be "slow" on older cars is now basically "auto".

And I don't remember exactly when we got 3-blink tap. The 2007 model I drive now does have it. I'm fairly certain my 2003 did also. And I know my 1994 did not. So somewhere in there.

I really don't think the switchgear in the design studio reflects the final switches in the Model S. Because I was told, and I think others here have said this also, that the Model S will not have radar based cruise control. But the top stalk in the picture shows the dial for this.

From the Model S specs page:
"Rain sensing, adjustable speed windshield wipers"

So they should have an auto system...likely made by TRW.