Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Dates and Sequencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is also an S85, Pearl White, Tan, CF, Tech, Pano, Parking sensor and Rear seats. Ordered 8/23 and VIN 21076 assigned on 8/26.
Scheduled delivery date of 9/28 in Orange County.
Final MVPA signed and down payment paid about 1-2 weeks ago. Financing secured.
Asked my DS to expedite delivery a number of times and he said he placed the car on the "Hot List" to try to move it into production earlier but it looks like it didn't help. Your ordered confirmed date and VIN were assigned after mine and we have essentially the same config but you are getting it a little quicker. The production process kinda feels a little random.

I am bummed b/c I am renting a car for a week since I already sold my daily drive (Volt). The waiting is probably one of the hardest part of the buying process.

I hear you- but I also suspect I have a clue to the answer.

Right now, Tesla is completely focused on the end of Q3 margin performance. As such, they are pushing through all the vehicles with the highest margin. That basically means those with the most options, as those are now where most of their extra margin resides. I also think that they are batching certain types of vehicles together. Thus, they might be doing multi-coat white one week only, or a couple of days only, or whatever. Also I don't think that many vehicles are coming off the line without air suspension, thus that might incur a delay.

Overall if you look at the two configs of our cars, whilst they are somewhat similar in end-result, they seem fairly different in margin potential to Tesla. On top of your config, I am also adding air suspension, sound system, extended Nappa, performance seats, lighting package, Alcantara headliner, fog lamps. I suspect that those items are of relatively little cost to Tesla. hence very high margin. Indeed, they were almost all included on P85 models until the price increase recently. In contrast, I think the pano roof is expensive for Tesla, and hence lower margin, and the paint - whilst not a big thing, is a rarer color and they just might not run the multi-coat white vehicles as often. If you analyze it, there is a face-value 7100 difference in the price of the 2 cars - almost all of which I suspect is basically margin to Tesla. After all, Alcantara is not extremely expensive, and they are using a very high quality imitation leather for the interiors that are not Nappa extended thus the difference between Nappa and not Nappa is certainly nowhere near their option number. The interior lighting is almost negligible in overall cost - almost all margin, and the same goes for the performance seats vs the regular leather seats. In fact the performance seats might actually technically be cheaper! The sound system difference in hard cost is low hundreds of dollars, vs. 2500 up-charge. And the fog lamps are basically a freebie from a manufacturing standpoint.

In other words, I think they are simply making the highest spec vehicles the fastest.... I also suspect that this makes sense because many of the P85 models being ordered are relatively "specced-up" and only differ in terms of the inverter portion of the drivetrain, thus from a "batching" standpoint I think I might have hitched a ride somewhat.

Please take this the right way - I think your config rocks....... I am just speculating as to what might be going on in regards to the vagaries of the delivery process right now.

Also of interest...... When I placed the order online, it said "September" for delivery. If I had ordered the same config but in a P85, it was quoting "Late September". As I didn't want a P85 anyhow, I was not really bothered but it really made me think that even at that point (in late August) there were already "batches" assigned for production that were being used for estimating deliveries etc.

btw. I still have my Volt as well (which btw is an awesome car as well) - but the wait is killing me every bit as much. I couldn't take the risk of selling the Volt first, so I am waiting till I have the Tesla grin fully-functional before doing that.

also btw this might all be nonsense.......there is certainly some random-ness to the production process.

Good Luck! I must say that Tesla owners and owners-to-be (like us) really are a community and one to which I'm very proud that I will finally belong.

@studiojon - You make many good points. I am sure the end of Q3 push has a lot to do with it. I am long TSLA and so everything to help with increasing margins is good with me.

Ditto to being excited and proud to be part of the Tesla ownership family.

I may need an elephant tranquilizer!

LOL!

Let's have a zen moment for Cinematechs

email-zen_zps14f9c5cc.jpg

YES!! Another 9/1 VIN get's in before the end of the month...can't wait to see it!!

Hey Tex,

Thanks! Also I booked my car to go get XPEL from Mo at glistening Perfection. That's happening on 10.10 and he's going to do a photo series on the whole process so there will be plenty of amazing pics coming.

Congrats again. I think the next 2 days are going to be some of the longest in my life.

Call From Tesla in California from Inside Sales

Interesting. I ordered S85 with Metallic Blue, Tan, Obeche gloss, Tech, Parking Sensor, Pano Roof on Aug 29 and confirmed on Sep 9 with VIN 22545. I did not get the twin charger package as it was $2900 in Canada and most of my driving is to work and back under 15 miles each way.

an Inside Sales Representative called me today from Palo Alto offering me the internal car portion of the twin charger for $1600 as opposed to $3600 down the road. I took the deal to future proof the car and add resale value... Anyone else have a similar offer?

--------------------------
S85 with Metallic Blue || Tan Leather Seats || Obeche gloss || Tech || Parking Sensor || Pano Roof || Order: Aug 29 Confirm: Sep 9, Production: ??, Delivery: Oct 22, VIN 22545

Looks great Electricfan! Any issues or all good at delivery? CONGRATS!!

Thanks! All great! That was one long delivery process going through the screens and car functions - I guess since I had seen it all before on the forums and in youtube videos. I was anxious to get going. Now I just have to get it inspected and get tags.

I got the "home link" set up - it was so easy! You just point your garage remote at the front bumper for about 2 seconds, the lights flash and you're done! For some reason they told me I would have to push a "learn" button on my garage door system but that wasn't needed for some reason. I was told the 3G service would be free for 3 months, which was a little bit of a surprise because when I was looking into buying the sales folks told me on the phone that it was free and I'd never have to pay for it.

The only thing I've failed on so far is getting my home wi-fi to be seen by the car. I may need to get a bridge to get it strong enough for reaching the garage, or maybe you have to set the security just right or something.

Oh, a little word of caution on the wheels. My wheels have these tiny patches of residue from a sticker - about the size of a price sticker in the grocery store. I tried removing one with a hand cleaner and while it did get the glue off it also ruined the finish - about the size of a quarter. Bummer. I didn't touch the rest of the wheels and am trying to think of a safe way to remove it. It looks really bad. I wish they had removed it for me before delivery. Maybe the Opti-coat Pro will help. He's going to do the wheels too.

But overall I am thrilled to death with the car! Love driving it. My neighbors all came over and asked "what kind of car is that???" They all thought it was awesome looking. And of course they are right!!

In this pic you can see the small gray patch where the glue residue is on the right rear tire - its in the bottom right quarter of the rim.
tesla_backR2.jpg

an Inside Sales Representative called me today from Palo Alto offering me the internal car portion of the twin charger for $1600 as opposed to $3600 down the road. I took the deal to future proof the car and add resale value... Anyone else have a similar offer?

I got the same call this morning and also decided to add the twin charger for $1600. Lots of CS90 from Sun Country Highway in BC and I can imagine only more will appear so it made sense. Bundled with the HPWC didn't make sense for me since I don't need to charge fast at home and doubt my current service could even support it.

Thanks! All great! .

That's great! What's cool with this homelink I noticed, as I get close, the options automatically pop-up on which one tow chose of the two doors--nice touch.

I was told the same on 3G plans and that by years end they will notify all Tesla customers on 'options' for 3G and 4G. There goes another $30 min a month--and 100% worth it, considering that gets you nav, TuneIn, web, etc.

She looks great in your driveway!

....and then they just called this afternoon to say it already arrived and I can take delivery 4pm tomorrow.

Will post as soon as I get it!

Whoa! Now we are talking my friend--you make sure to post those pics ASAP!!!

Yippee!

I asked that, and said the antenna installed is compatible with both, just 4G is not turned on.

I think that's correct, but don't forget that, just like iPhone 4S show "4G", this is really. HSDPA+ and not LTE. I think that the chip in the Tesla is most likely HSDPA+ capable but is almost certainly not LTE (also per Elon who I believe stated that LTE required a hardware upgrade).

Also Tex, how is your GPS. good? Or screwy as many have been reporting recently?